GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"comics, graphic novels, whatever you want to call them"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/10/03 at 15:07
Regular
"relocated"
Inspired by not going to see The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen at the cinema, I've been reading and rereading a few comic books recently, and I just wondered if anybody had any reccommendations.

I've not read many graphic novels at all and I don't know much about what's good and what's crap. I've read The League..., From Hell, The Ballad of Halo Jones and a few other things by Alan Moore: I love his stuff, but I'd rather read it gradually than buy everything he's ever written and read it in a fortnight. I also enjoyed the first Sandman book. But apart from that I'm a bit lost.

Is there any other series or writers that I should look out for?
Wed 22/10/03 at 22:22
"possibly impossible"
Tripitaka Shanks wrote:
> pb wrote:
> No-one mentioned Watchmen yet?
> Also, try the Hellblazer (DC Vertigo label) Graphic Novels,
>
> Arnt these both early ninties Graphic novels? ...

Yep, well, Hellblazer is still going as a comic, but the GNs are just a collection of the earlier stories.

Watchmen should be recommended reading for anyone wanting adult graphic novels though (no, not THAT kind!) It doesn't matter how old they are, you really need to check out some of the benchmark stuff that other writers and artists look up to now. Elektra Assassin, Batman:Dark Night Returns and The Killing Joke etc.

Even the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles deserve a look, just to see what they were like before the annoying consumer company took over the reigns and made them a kids icon. You never saw them slice Shredder's head off and watch it float down a river in the movie, did you?!
Wed 22/10/03 at 22:03
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
unknown kernel wrote:
> I also enjoyed the first Sandman
> book. But apart from that I'm a bit lost.

Definitly can't be go wrong with any of the Sandman series!

> Is there any other series or writers that I should look out for?
Has anyone read any of Kevin Smiths stuff since he started a Marvel?

pb wrote:
> No-one mentioned Watchmen yet? >
> Also, try the Hellblazer (DC Vertigo label) Graphic Novels,

Arnt these both early ninties Graphic novels? ... I seem to remeber them getting a lot of interest about the time I started moving away from the comic book/graphic novel entertainment?
Wed 22/10/03 at 18:16
"possibly impossible"
"Worst thread ever!"

Comic store guy
Wed 22/10/03 at 14:38
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
You're a member of a select and sacred order now. Well done.

Just don't feed the hairy behind the counter. He's vicious and unstable.........
Wed 22/10/03 at 14:35
Regular
"relocated"
I made the mistake of going into a comic shop at lunchtime. Absolutely terrifying. The books were in a weird kind of almost alphabetical order that I didn't understand. Having failed to find any of his monthly titles, I bought the nearest Alan Moore book (Top Ten) and ran away.
Wed 22/10/03 at 11:48
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
It's worht noting that many libraries now have tons of decent graphic novels as well - I only live in a crap town and we must have well over 200 of the things in ours - gives you a chance to try new stuff without forking out the cash.
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:53
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bwhahahaha. Both managed to get the same reference.

It looks like the confusion from the Maus stems from as you say, the size of the Tiger tanks. Surely an "indestructible" tank would put the fear of god into the allied troops, and exaggerations may have occurred.

Anyway. I learn something new every day. Signing out.
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:50
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
Heeeyyy!!
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:49
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
Aha - "According to a new reference about the Kummersdorf proving ground, in the latter half of 1944 both Maus prototypes arrived at Kummersdorf for testing after final assembly of the turret and chassis at F. Krupp. As the front approached nearer and nearer to the testing facility, both Maus tanks were sent out to engage the approaching Soviets. The vehicles were approaching Wünsdorf (crossing what is now highway 96) when the first Maus was disabled because of damage to the drive mechanism. This vehicle was later captured by the Red Army. The second Maus managed to proceed a few kilometers further before the crew destroyed it."

Apparently there is much confusion around the subject because of the Tiger 2 tanks gracing the field at the time, which were also huge, and got pummelled by the rampaging Brit tank divisions.
Wed 22/10/03 at 09:49
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz7.htm

Aha! “The popular version states that V2 prototype was blown up by the personnel at proving grounds in Kummersdorf, while some sources state that actually V2 saw combat while defending the facility at Kummersdorf”

http://members.tripod.com/~fingolfen/superheavy/maus.html

“As the front approached nearer and nearer to the testing facility, both Maus tanks were sent out to engage the approaching Soviets. The vehicles were approaching Wünsdorf (crossing what is now highway 96) when the first Maus was disabled because of damage to the drive mechanism. This vehicle was later captured by the Red Army. The second Maus managed to proceed a few kilometers further before the crew destroyed it.”

So it may have actually saw combat.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.