GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is This A Good HDD? At All?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/10/03 at 20:15
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html? action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3 &product_uid=32012&_LOC=UK

My current one (this one I'm using) is only 20Gb's, and could quieten out the sound of a bus driving over your head.

I know nothing of HDD technology, what makes them quiet blah blah, so your help is appreciated.
Danke.
Tue 30/12/03 at 12:05
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Way to revive a 2 month old thread :O[]
Tue 30/12/03 at 04:17
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yup, good 'ol maxy kit.

Yeah they have like fluid bearings or summet. Nice and quiet mind.

I have space for another case fan, and 7 pci spaces. Only 4 pci slots.

Hm :o)

Solution to overclocking - Buy a 2ghz rated hsf (heatsink/fan) and put it on your overclocked Celeron.

Cold? You could make ice on this baby.

Yeah anyway. Maxy kit wins.
Sun 26/10/03 at 12:32
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Haha.

Well I'll proably buy Maxtor drives forever more.
Sun 26/10/03 at 12:20
Regular
"relocated"
Miserableman wrote:
> we'll all tut-tut and start preening over Samsung drives

I had a look at silentpcreview.com the other day and this exactly what people ARE starting to do. Any more tips for the future? I want to know what days of the month it's safe for me to cross the road without looking. I'm a Scorpio.
Fri 24/10/03 at 11:03
Regular
The Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9's Use liquid bearings which is why they are so quiete, I am a fan of these drives as my 100gig Western digital SE is very clunky i have a Maxtor Diamondmax plus 9 SATA 160gb drive on it's way and have high expectations for it.

Colin
Tue 21/10/03 at 22:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I just got myself a Maxtor DiamondMax +9 and it's literally silent.
> Much better than my D740X.
>
> Good speeds as well. 8mb cache.

Woohoo.

*Claps*
Tue 21/10/03 at 22:06
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Yes yes I know all about makes of harddrives.
>
> Which is why I chose the Maxtor, based on the opinions of a great
> many people.

If you really knew all about makes of harddrives, you'd know that for any given manufacturer you'll be able to find large amounts of people who swear by them on one hand, and equally large amounts of people who have had 800 break on them in the past 6 months on the other. For instance, no-one in their right mind would buy an IBM disk these days, despite the fact they've put all their reliability troubles behind them and actually make fast, cheap hard disks. No doubt in the future Maxtor and Seagate will have some reliability issues, and we'll all tut-tut and start preening over Samsung drives or something. It's all swings and roundabouts - I see no reason to risk moving away from Seagate to the unknown quantity (for me) that is Maxtor, and I can't risk buying another Western Digital as the WD disk I'm replacing is just much too noisy.
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:22
Fair enough, just read the online reviews then, or better still, buy both makes?
Tue 21/10/03 at 19:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes yes I know all about makes of harddrives.

Which is why I chose the Maxtor, based on the opinions of a great many people.

Oh, and for future reference, the dBA values given by manufacturers are useless.
Tue 21/10/03 at 18:58
The Seagate 120GB Barracuda 7200.7 Plus and Barracuda ATA V (and SATA V) all have 8MB cache, all at a wonderful 25dB. Hear yourself think, to phrase from a company...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.