GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Norton Firewall"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/10/03 at 22:15
Regular
"cachoo"
Ack! I *hate* firewall.

I have Norton Firewall 2003. Not sure what time this happened so I have no idea whether people have been snooping around my PC and planting trojans or something.

Until today, I can't seem to enable the firewall. It has disappeared from my taskbar and can't get it back. The program opens up fine but I have no choice of enabling/disabling it. The same with Intrusion Detection, Privacy Control and Ad Blocking. They're all switched off and can't get them back on.

There are 3 accounts on my computer, mine, mum and her boyfriend. My mum is the administrator. Which I wanna change, but can't. So seeing as I am not, I can't change any of the options unless I log into her account, which is a pain. But everything is fine in her user account. The firewall icon is in the taskbar and can change the settings, like Enable/Disable.

Was just confused why none of this is working in my account.

Recently had a virus too, which I will find the name of in a moment if that is important. Wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it.

Anyone know what might be the problem?
Thank you :)
Thu 16/10/03 at 07:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Urgh,

Firewalls cause far, far more hassle than they're worth, and they genuinely have very few benefits. You've all been scared witless by people who want to sell you firewalls into thinking that if you don't have them your computer will be 0wned and destroyed within days. Frankly it's just not true. 99% of people don't need a firewall and never will need a firewalls. All that happens is they break and you waste time fixing them. That's why you started this thread!

If you're really that "concened" by your security the best idea is always to just stick a Linux or FreeBSD box in the way.
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:49
Regular
"cachoo"
Ok thank you guys. *Very* much appreciated! ;)
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:43
Just download ZoneAlarm from, zonealarm.com and you'll be fine.
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:42
Regular
my computer--->control panel---->network connections--->right click your internet connection--->properties--->advanced

should be there
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:37
Regular
"cachoo"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> It's not in all versions of windows. Only XP I think, maybe 2K. But
> not 98, ME, 95 etc.

I have XP. Where abouts is the Firewall located ?
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:27
Regular
Snipe® wrote:
> Nah its okay if you do have the windows security updates.

Just downloaded 5 new security patches. I only updated everything with windows update last week!
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:23
"I love yo... lamp."
It's not in all versions of windows. Only XP I think, maybe 2K. But not 98, ME, 95 etc.
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:19
Regular
"cachoo"
Don or†ega wrote:
> Isnt the standard windows firewall good enough?

Never even knew there was one!
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:17
Regular
Nah its okay if you do have the windows security updates.
Thu 16/10/03 at 01:11
Regular
Isnt the standard windows firewall good enough?

Its all i've ever used anyways, and my my PC is on pretty much all day with a broadband connection.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.