GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IS anyone feeling generous?...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/10/03 at 20:58
Regular
I've just bought a domain name (www.this-side-up.biz) from SR and am using it to host my music web-site. It's nothing serious, just a bit of fun between me and my mate.

Basically, our site looks rubbish. I admit this.

I was wondering if anyone would be generous enough to donate some code that would help us do the following things:

Have a discussion board - Doesn't have to be a whole board like SR, just the equivalent of one forum would be fine.

Some way of updating the front page without re-uploading the HTML file all the time. Maybe there's a way of displaying part of the discussion board or something?

Also any images/logo's that you think would be cool.

I know this is asking a lot, but I know nothing about web-design as you've probably guessed by now. Unfortunately, I have no time to learn at the moment as I am currently trying to keep a emping job, hunt for a proper job and stop everything I learnt at uni from dribbling out of my ears.

Obviously you'll get full credits on the site, and any links or whatever you fancy as well.

Email me if you want to help: [email protected]

I will really, really appriciate any help.

Cheers.
Tue 14/10/03 at 20:00
Regular
Need some more help, I'm afraid.

I've downloaded CutePHP, and in the instructions it says to:

Now You must CHMOD the the file cutenews/index.php to 777 and directory cutenews/data/ and all files and
folders under the data/ directory must be also chmod'ed to 777.

Can anyone explain to me what exactly that means please?

Cheers.
Tue 14/10/03 at 20:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Your FTP will have a CHMOD option when you right-click on files and folders. It'll become obvious.

However if you use explorer, you need to right-click and select "properties". IIRC 777 is read/write to all owner, group and all users.
Tue 14/10/03 at 20:14
Regular
"Digging!"
I've sent the logo. I've tryed doing a matching background but it looks rubbish.
Tue 14/10/03 at 20:24
Regular
Logo recieved, it looks good cheers.

I'll put it up as I do the whole site. Hopefully by the weekend it should all be looking and working much better.

Thanks for all your help everyone :-)
Tue 14/10/03 at 20:54
Regular
I've got some problems with my PHP, it comes up with these errors when I load the page:

Warning: main(./inc/functions.inc.php) [function.main]: failed to create stream: No such file or directory in /freeola/users/8/2/sr0264228/htdocs/main.php on line 43

Fatal error: main() [function.main]: Failed opening required './inc/functions.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /freeola/users/8/2/sr0264228/htdocs/main.php on line 43

Line 43 is this
tag in the following code snippet, before the PHP begins.

Any ideas? Cheers.

error_reporting (E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);

require_once("./inc/functions.inc.php");
//#################

$PHP_SELF = "index.php";
$cutepath = ".";
$config_path_image_upload = "./data/upimages";
Wed 15/10/03 at 17:54
Regular
It's ok, I was being a retard.

Cheers for all your help everyone. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have got it all looking better than it is now.

The functionality is there though...
Wed 15/10/03 at 18:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
:-)
Wed 15/10/03 at 19:22
"I love yo... lamp."
First rule of typesetting:
Use a serif font for the body of test, sans serif for titles.

So don't dump Times New Roman yet.
Thu 16/10/03 at 17:51
Regular
I have got one query, on the site I've ditech frames and now the page is split into tabls.

One cell in the table contains the links, on the left hand side.

The front page with the news, is longer than, say, the page with the guestbook on.

The links always appear in the centre (vertically) of the cell in the table, so on a longer page, they are lower down, follow me?

Is there a way of always having them at the top of the cell, regardless of how long the page is?

Cheers.
Thu 16/10/03 at 18:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.