GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IS anyone feeling generous?...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/10/03 at 20:58
Regular
I've just bought a domain name (www.this-side-up.biz) from SR and am using it to host my music web-site. It's nothing serious, just a bit of fun between me and my mate.

Basically, our site looks rubbish. I admit this.

I was wondering if anyone would be generous enough to donate some code that would help us do the following things:

Have a discussion board - Doesn't have to be a whole board like SR, just the equivalent of one forum would be fine.

Some way of updating the front page without re-uploading the HTML file all the time. Maybe there's a way of displaying part of the discussion board or something?

Also any images/logo's that you think would be cool.

I know this is asking a lot, but I know nothing about web-design as you've probably guessed by now. Unfortunately, I have no time to learn at the moment as I am currently trying to keep a emping job, hunt for a proper job and stop everything I learnt at uni from dribbling out of my ears.

Obviously you'll get full credits on the site, and any links or whatever you fancy as well.

Email me if you want to help: [email protected]

I will really, really appriciate any help.

Cheers.
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:58
Regular
I've just bought a domain name (www.this-side-up.biz) from SR and am using it to host my music web-site. It's nothing serious, just a bit of fun between me and my mate.

Basically, our site looks rubbish. I admit this.

I was wondering if anyone would be generous enough to donate some code that would help us do the following things:

Have a discussion board - Doesn't have to be a whole board like SR, just the equivalent of one forum would be fine.

Some way of updating the front page without re-uploading the HTML file all the time. Maybe there's a way of displaying part of the discussion board or something?

Also any images/logo's that you think would be cool.

I know this is asking a lot, but I know nothing about web-design as you've probably guessed by now. Unfortunately, I have no time to learn at the moment as I am currently trying to keep a emping job, hunt for a proper job and stop everything I learnt at uni from dribbling out of my ears.

Obviously you'll get full credits on the site, and any links or whatever you fancy as well.

Email me if you want to help: [email protected]

I will really, really appriciate any help.

Cheers.
Mon 13/10/03 at 21:07
Regular
1st rule of site building.

NEVER use "Times new roman" as your font :P

I'm not good with sites either - but I thought i'd comment on your music - Its very good :)
Tue 14/10/03 at 07:47
Regular
For the news go to:

http://cutephp.com/

Its a simple PHP script that allows you to do http://www.yoururl.com/news.php or whatever, login and then add news to the front page which can then be commented on etc.

Forum wise I cant think of any useful ideas but you could always go for a board such as Invision or PHPbb (www.phpbb.com) They are very simple to install and easy to use.

Image wise, get a decent banner on the page if its going to be simple. Dont know what kind of software you're limited to but use something like Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro if its available. If not go to www.gimp.org as its a free image editing package which is similar.

Of course if you're really stumped for ideas, send me an email ([email protected]) or reply here stating dimensions, colours, images to be included, text etc. and I'd be glad to knock you something up.

http://kraydsign.staghost.com/art.php
http://krayzd.deviantart.com/

Hope to have been of some help
Tue 14/10/03 at 17:39
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> 1st rule of site building.
>

Ok, I'll change that at some point.

> I'm not good with sites either - but I thought i'd comment on your
> music - Its very good :)

Are you beign serious?

There's only two tracks up at the moment because it's taking me longer than I thought to upload everything via dial-up.

The other three should be up by the weekend.
Tue 14/10/03 at 17:41
Regular
MJ wrote:
> For the news go to:
>
> http://cutephp.com/
>
> Its a simple PHP script that allows you to do
> http://www.yoururl.com/news.php or whatever, login and then add news
> to the front page which can then be commented on etc.

Cheers, I'll go have a look at it now.

>
> Forum wise I cant think of any useful ideas but you could always go
> for a board such as Invision or PHPbb (www.phpbb.com) They are very

Something else for me to look at :-)

> Image wise, get a decent banner on the page if its going to be
> simple. Dont know what kind of software you're limited to but use
> something like Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro if its available. If not go
> to www.gimp.org as its a free image editing package which is
> similar.

I've got PSP 7, but it's the ideas that I'm lacking :-)

>
> Of course if you're really stumped for ideas, send me an email
> ([email protected]) or reply here stating dimensions, colours,
> images to be included, text etc. and I'd be glad to knock you
> something up.

I may well do that.

> Hope to have been of some help

You have!
Tue 14/10/03 at 18:26
Regular
"Digging!"
Im bored so I'll do you a logo in fireworks and sent it to you so you can see what you think.
Tue 14/10/03 at 18:34
Regular
"Digging!"
try not to use spaces in filenames on the web, it gets rid of the annoying %20 's.
Tue 14/10/03 at 18:36
Regular
"Digging!"
Do you have any preferences to colours etc?
Tue 14/10/03 at 18:56
Regular
"Digging!"
If you want take a look at my site http://taka-q.port5.com to see how I have done a site for my own music.
Tue 14/10/03 at 19:39
Regular
taka-Q wrote:
> Do you have any preferences to colours etc?

Not at all mate, do what you feel and send them on over :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.