GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The "ten albums that defined you" thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/10/03 at 09:45
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
That's right, pick ten albums that made you who you are today. I'll start:

1) Oasis - Definitely Maybe
2) Mansun - Six
3) Pavement - Terror Twilight
4) Radiohead - The Bends
5) Radiohead - OK Computer
6) The Beta Band - 3 EPs
7) Beck - Midnight Vultures
8) Led Zeppelin - II
9) Blur - The Great Escape
10) Super Furry Animals - Radiator

There's loads more (Supergrass, Pulp, more Blur, more Beck), but these are the albums that I really enjoy and can go back to time and time again, and I draw influence from when making sweet, sweet music.
Mon 13/10/03 at 11:47
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
fiƒi[oV] wrote:
> Dunno, just always really liked them, lots of good upbeat stuff and
> really great live. Cambridge Corn exchange again in December, woo.

Cambridge is enough of a pikey-town without the Levellers being there too!

This thread is going really well. Loads of people seem to have Radiohead's "The Bends" as one of their major influences, which is really cool because it was a defining album of the nineties - and it didn't have "Creep" on it, which is good news for the 'head (Check "My Iron Lung" for proof). Keep up the good work!
Mon 13/10/03 at 11:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Here are the 10 albums that always seem to stand-out from the 40+ in my CD collection:

1. Incubus - Fungus Amongus
2. Incubus - Make Yourself
3. Foo Fighters - There is Nothing Left to Lose
4. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
5. American Hi-Fi - The Art of Losing
6. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sex Sugar Magik
7. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
8. Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
9. Queens of the Stona Age - Songs for the Deaf
10. Deftones - Around the Fur

And that's just about it.
Mon 13/10/03 at 15:02
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Dringo wrote:
> And I have just come through a big change in my life, changing who I
> am and how i react (going to Uni and stuff also aids this) and it was
> the recent Limpbizkit album that has helped shape my reaction to the
> situation.
>
> Linkin Park's new album has made me a lot less soft... and albums
> like Clarity and Box Car Racer have had the biggest effect on my
> rather depressive state of mind.

But my point is, how do you know that in two months time your answer wouldn't be completely different?
Mon 13/10/03 at 15:14
Regular
Linkin Park's album made you less soft?

Have you seen their lead singer? Chester I think his name is. What a ponce, infact the whole band looked like the type of people who would have been beaten up at school.
Mon 13/10/03 at 15:30
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I didn't think Linkin Park had any impact on anything.........
Mon 13/10/03 at 16:06
Regular
"8==="
Hybrid Theory just missed out on my list.

That was my "3 years of uni" that album was. ;)
Mon 13/10/03 at 16:07
Regular
"8==="
* - the word 'album'.
Tue 14/10/03 at 03:10
Regular
This is a hard one.
So many albums are borderline, so I've tried to stick with the albums that really stuck.

In Chronological order:

1) Help - Beatles

The first music CD I ever got. I never did care about music and tactless told my parents this when I got the CD (I was very young at the time :-)).
But I listened to it (partly for the novelty of using the CD player) and it grew on me. I slowly but surely got into music.

From there, I bought more Beatles, but the one I REALLY liked was

2) Magical Mystery Tour - Beatles

For me, this was the Beatles at their best. They were still writing pure songs (after that they started messing around a bit with the White Album and Abbey Road - all inovative progress but it wasn't the same), it was the last Beatles album to have that classic Beatles sounds (after that, again the Beatles matured and develloped their own individual sounds).
But it also had the experimentation, with weird effects in I am the Walrus.

Ofcourse, this was all music from the 60's and all my friends thought I was well out of date. I'd listened to modern music here and there, but I thought most of it was not worth listening to, until one day when I watched Top of the Pops, after yawning my way though the whole show, they finished with Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis.
This led me to:

3) What's the Story Morning GLory - Oasis

I also bought Definately Maybe but I always liked Morning Glory better. Perhaps because it was more tuneful and more listenable than Def Maybe's harder, more feedback based sound.
Oasis at their peak.

From Oasis I also tried Blur who I also liked (I seemed to be the only one who didn't give a toss about the bands hating each other and just enjoying both their music), and bought a couple of other indie bands like Cast and Ocea Colour Scene. All good, none amazing.

I went off general music but I was picking up tunes from the computer games and films. I bought sound tracks for Starwars and James Bond but they didn't seem to have the same effect without the film, although some tracks were good in their own right.

It wasn't until I joined a band that I started listening to music again.
Some of the songs I had to learn to play were by The Who, so I nicked mum and dad's best of album and started listening to it.

4) My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who

grew on my quite a bit. I hardly ever listen to it now, but I was the most played album I had atleast a year.
I was getting introduced to some bands I hadn't heard of before by this band. At our lead singer's recommendation, I bought myself

5) The Darlings of Whapping Warf Laundrette - The Small Faces

The Small Faces were a small 60's band, famous for their single Lazy Sunday. Their light hearted tunes and attitute to life

"I love things, I do my best,
I eat, sleep, laugh and cry just like the rest,
What becomes of me, is meant to be,
So I'll just groove along quite naturally."

was mucho needed when life took a turn for a worse (all over some girl but that's a different story).

Another band they introduced me too, was the Stone Roses.
The name was an instant put-off, sounding like some goth band, but after being given one of their songs to learn on a tape, Made Of Stone, I was hooked. I'd never heard such good music before.
On the same day I bought the Small Faces I bought

6) The Complete Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

I regretted the purchase the moment I put it on. Being a collection, the first few tracks were based from some of their earlier recordings. Basically, So Young and Tell Me weren't very good.
When I caught on to the fact that it was just these first two "early" tracks that were poor and that the rest of the album consisted of gems, it barely left the CD player.
Waterfall in particular was great (you'll all recognise it from the Lottery Adverts).

As it turns out, the Complete Stone Roses Album was a poor cash in by their ex-record label. Some of the songs were dodgy remixes and cut versions (the version of I Am The Resurrection was abysmal).
I didn't know this until I bought

7) The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
8) Turns Into Stone - The Stone Roses

These two albums were the genuine article.
The Stone Roses being the original debut album (containing Waterfall and Resurrection without the endings being cut short) with some songs I hadn't heard yet (Sugar Spun SIster, Shoot You Down and This Is The One).
Turns into Stone was the collection of singles from the time, with full length versions of Fools Gold, One Love and Something Burning (all of them had been cut on the Complete Stone Roses).
ALso, it didn't have the earlier, crappy ones so I didn't need to use the skip button anymore! :-)

Anyway, I got so into the Stone Roses that at one point, anything else just sounded awful. All the other bands I used to love just weren't worth listening to anymore. I ended up setting my CD player to wake me up to them in the morning, I put them on as soon as I got home from school and they'd send me to sleep at night.

Ofcourse, this excessive listening meant that after 6 months of non-stop listening to them all day, the magic started to wear off.
It had been like a trip and now was time for the come down.

I slowly moved away using bands that sounded like them, or used a similar vibe, like the Byrds, Primal Scream and the Happy Mondays, but I've not found anything as inspiring or uplifting as the Stone Roses since.

There are a couple more albums that have managed to scrape onto the defining list.

9) Primal Scream - Screamadelica

I first got it because it was meant to be of the same vibe and era of The Stone Roses. When I first listened to it, I thought that the band had had an overdose of something, being more used to songs rather than these groovy sounds and DJ beats, I prefered their earlier work like Sonic Flower Groove.
I lent it to a friend at got it back about 5 months later.
It sounded like a different album when I got it back, and because CD's don't change, I must've become more open minded.

10) Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Being a Bass player, I was recommended to listen to James Jamerson's work, this album supposedly containing the best of it. I didn't get it straight away, but as this album grew on me, it grew on me BIG time.
It wasn't JUST the bass playing that was great, the whole album, the singing, the songs, it was all so relaxing and soothing.

After 3 months of Screamadelica and What's Going On, the Stone Roses who used to sound so relaxed and calm suddenly sounded like a rock band again! :-)

I went on quite a bit there! :-S
Oh well, there's my music history if you want it! :-)
Thu 16/10/03 at 21:37
Regular
"You've upset me"
I'm sure you aren't the only one, pb :-D

monkey_man wrote:
>Loads of people seem to have Radiohead's "The Bends" as one of >their major influences, which is really cool because it was a defining >album of the nineties - and it didn't have "Creep" on it, which is good >news for the 'head (Check "My Iron Lung" for proof).

Heh, I actually got into Radiohead becase of The Bends (specifically Black Star and Bulletproof... I Wish I Was) but from there the whole of the album grew on me. I actually thought it was their first album, only later discovering Pablo Honey. Which is good but not a patch on the later stuff. Had a load of high points though, specifically Thinking About You and Lurgee. Ok Computer just knocked me out when I first heard it. And it still does, it's an incredible album. I even liked Kid A, really got into a lot of the songs on that, but wasn't nearly as effecting as OKC. Then Amnesiac came and I just loved it from the off the I Might Be Wrong Live Recordings was awesome too. It sounded like the Radiohead of old and also gave me an "official" version of True Love Waits. And now HTTT, which hit me with some great songs straight away (Where I End And You Begin, 2+2=5, Sail To The Moon, There There, Wolf At The Door) and grew on me with more listening (Go To Sleep, Scatterbrain even The Gloaming which I hated at first).

Ermm... yeah, anyway, I love Radiohead, not quite sure why I needed to give that biography though... hmmm..
Thu 16/10/03 at 21:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
*tempted to right out Smashing Pumpkins biography and my love of them.......*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.