GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If this had been done in Afghanistan/Saudi/Iraq then they'd be EVIL FOREIGNERS"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/10/03 at 13:45
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/ sm_826939.html?menu=

However, as it's being done by the US, you can bet that we'll hear stuff like "They're only terrorists, they deserve it". Which I wouldn't mind, if those same people didn't then slither up the moral high ground concerning the multitude of ills in and concerning the western world...
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:05
"possibly impossible"
Damnit, just stick everyone in a dungeon in the ground like in the old days, see?!

Worked for that damn Robin Hood guy.
Wed 08/10/03 at 18:17
Regular
Would you trust their judgement if it was a member of your family?
Wed 08/10/03 at 17:59
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
No. I'm putting some faith in the US Army's Accountant. I doubt the yanks would go rounding civilians up, holding them, then flying them all the way to Cuba, then paying to feed them ect, for no good reason... By that i mean, they must have had a good reason for holding them there.

I'm not saying that torture is the right thing to do, i'm just saying that if indeed they are terrorists, then we shouldn't really care about the quality of their food.

I know some of them will probably be innocent, but the Americans must have some reason for keeping them. I don't know what it is, but i'm trusting their judgement.

And that Catholic IRA thing isn't so. A Catholic on NI doesn't mean they support the IRA, and the same applies to a dude in Afganistan, but as i said, there must be a reason for their being held.
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:51
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Oh, ALL media reports of any kind should be taken with a pinch of salt. Hell, I hope no-one assumes that I automatically believe everything I link to!!

But that's another point; Skarra and IB have been quick to point out that it may be exaggeration. Yet no-one makes that assumption when we hear of torture in Saudi prisons, do we? We assume that they definitely did it, and because we only hear of it in connections with western citizens, we assume that whomever the westener is didn't deserve it.

Yet in this case, despite a total lack of any trials, we (by which I mean Skarra in this particular case) assume they are terrorists who deserve it (I'm not even gonna get STARTED on 'evil regime'; was the Taliban's undoubtedly awful treatment of women more or less evil than America's policy of genocide toward street children in central America in the 80's?). Put it in perspective; that's like saying that you would support the police arresting someone living in a catholic estate in Northern Ireland, then beating and torturing them, because if they're a catholic in NI then they MUST support the IRA, right?
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:38
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Heh. I wasn't trying to say I would disagree with that particular example myself, I'm just saying that a large amount of people in the US would get very angry very quickly if that happened.
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:33
Regular
"relocated"
Blank wrote:
> What about us showing Uday and Qusay Hussein? Would it be okay if they
> showed close up shots of the likes of Jeb Bush, dead and bloodied?

YES!
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:31
Regular
Skarra wrote:
> Sure, they were filmed, but not to the same low level as when the
> Iraqi and other Arab news groups showed the coalition dead in close
> ups of their faces and wounds.

So we can do it, and to a level that our particular culture finds acceptable.
However, they can't do it (and all the complaints at the time were based on the fact alone that they did it, not concerning the extent to which they went), and if they do do it, then they'd sure as hell better only go to the level that OUR culture, not THEIRS, dictates is acceptable?
Riiiight.

Skarra wrote:
> Also, as a person that hates terrorists, i think that they should get
> little sympathy. After all, they are being fed enough to live, kept
> warn enough to survive, and went to Afganistan for the sole purpose
> of defending a terrorist group and evil regime, i.e. the Taliban.

And some of them will be terrorist. And those that are will, I suppose, inevitably feel the hatred, vengence and blood lust that has been built into us.
But there are without a serious doubt going to be SOME INNOCENT people held there too. And even the most pro-american reports on how suspects were rounded up gives cause to believe there must be a very significant number of innocent people being held.

Should these people also be tortured? Just so we can satisfy our petty hatred, so we can take our pound of flesh?
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:07
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
What about us showing Uday and Qusay Hussein? Would it be okay if they showed close up shots of the likes of Jeb Bush, dead and bloodied?
Wed 08/10/03 at 15:56
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Blank wrote:
> Just like when they put allied troops on TV. We did it too, but they
> did it first so it's alright.

I don't remember Fox News interviewing the terrified Iraqi prisoners. Or doing a close up on the faces of the Iraqi dead.

Sure, they were filmed, but not to the same low level as when the Iraqi and other Arab news groups showed the coalition dead in close ups of their faces and wounds.
Wed 08/10/03 at 15:53
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Blank wrote:
> Just like when they put allied troops on TV. We did it too, but they
> did it first so it's alright.

I

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.