GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The prime reason for the decline of civilization"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/10/03 at 13:50
Regular
"relocated"
Last night, as is my wont, I was listening to young person's radio station 1Xtra. At some point the tunes were interrupted by the 'news' and it was the single most moronic and patronising thing I've heard in my life. This is an actual quote:

"Earlier today Tony Blair got much love from his party when they decided to support him over Iraq. Loads of people thought Tony would get totally whooped in the vote but he won anyway..."

WHAAAAT? I think I know how they came up with this crap because it was almost identical to the Radio 1 bulletin: pasty faced journalist dumbs down the news as much as possible and then hands the script to a media student yoof who makes it more street by putting his baseball cap on backwards and:

Replacing the words 'much needed support' with 'much love'.
Replacing the words 'many political analysts' with 'loads of people'
Replacing the words 'soundly beaten' with 'whooped'.

I wonder how many people heard that and thought, "Well I was totally apathetic to politics before but, y'know, those guys are really talking my language and I might just go out and vote. For Tony!" None, perhaps? If the BBC are so desperate to give us the news the way actual people speak then why not refer to Tony Blair as a crackwhore and George Bush as a spack-faced chimp? That I would listen to.
Thu 02/10/03 at 13:50
Regular
"relocated"
Last night, as is my wont, I was listening to young person's radio station 1Xtra. At some point the tunes were interrupted by the 'news' and it was the single most moronic and patronising thing I've heard in my life. This is an actual quote:

"Earlier today Tony Blair got much love from his party when they decided to support him over Iraq. Loads of people thought Tony would get totally whooped in the vote but he won anyway..."

WHAAAAT? I think I know how they came up with this crap because it was almost identical to the Radio 1 bulletin: pasty faced journalist dumbs down the news as much as possible and then hands the script to a media student yoof who makes it more street by putting his baseball cap on backwards and:

Replacing the words 'much needed support' with 'much love'.
Replacing the words 'many political analysts' with 'loads of people'
Replacing the words 'soundly beaten' with 'whooped'.

I wonder how many people heard that and thought, "Well I was totally apathetic to politics before but, y'know, those guys are really talking my language and I might just go out and vote. For Tony!" None, perhaps? If the BBC are so desperate to give us the news the way actual people speak then why not refer to Tony Blair as a crackwhore and George Bush as a spack-faced chimp? That I would listen to.
Thu 02/10/03 at 14:16
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
The irony being that attitudes like this are probably more closer to the true reason for declining civilisation....
Thu 02/10/03 at 14:23
Regular
"relocated"
And this from a man who finds it grammatically acceptable to place the words 'more' and 'closer' next to each other. Although to your credit you didn't type 'closerer', which must have taken a great deal of self restraint.
Thu 02/10/03 at 14:24
Regular
"relocated"
On a more general note, why are attitudes like mine contributing to the decline of civilization? Because I described a spack-faced chimp as a spack-faced chimp? Thought so.
Thu 02/10/03 at 14:27
Presumption, arrogance and general indifference are among the likely reasons behind supposed civil decline.

What does that mean? People who sit around and complain about how bad they believe things to be are just as guilty as those who directly change things for the worse.

Who among us is doing something to change it? Goatboy is, who else? Come on, step forward.

Until people start doing something to rectify the problems the world faces, they have no right to complain about how bad those problems are.
Thu 02/10/03 at 14:45
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Jeez guys, lighten up. This forum has undergone a major humour bypass over the last few weeks.

Come on, let's see some exclamation marks!!!!!!
Thu 02/10/03 at 14:46
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
But now it's the "Intelligent Discussion" forum. There's no room for laughter here!
Thu 02/10/03 at 15:05
Regular
"relocated"
My post had exclamation marks, and words written entirely in capital letters...

But, anyway, people can't complain unless they're doing stuff to change the world? Why not?

After I left uni I worked for an international development NGO because, of all the things that annoy me about the world, that is the thing that bothers me most. I wanted to go back to uni to get a masters and phd, but to do that I needed to save money and pay off my student loan, so I quit and got a job that paid more. I still work in economic development, but now its local rather than international; I'll go back to the third world stuff when I'm done learning. But I don't think that means I'm not allowed to moan about that type of thing while I'm taking a break from it, and it doesn't make my opinion on it any more valid than other people's.

There are plenty of people who would like to change the world but can't because they have lives to lead. I don't think my mum had much spare time when she was looking after three kids and working, so she just moaned about apartheid and didn't buy South African fruit.

And since I don't have a vote in America (for which I blame the news on 1xtra), all I can do about George Bush is complain and give him some personal abuse. It's very upsetting for me, but I do it anyway.
Thu 02/10/03 at 17:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Jeez guys, lighten up. This forum has undergone a major humour bypass
> over the last few weeks.
>
> Come on, let's see some exclamation marks!!!!!!

Exclamation marks don't make it funnier.

...You dick!!!!!!
Thu 02/10/03 at 17:49
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Actually, you're wrong!!!!! Funniness is proportionate to the amount of exclamation marks you use. Just like questions become more puzzling when you add more question marks on the end. See??????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.