GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Artifical Intelligence..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/09/03 at 23:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Can somebody please inform me about what benefits AI is percieved to have.

I.e - What points are they selling all the research on?

Thanks.
Wed 01/10/03 at 17:05
"For the horde!!!!"
me: clean my room!!
robot: yes master
me: cook my dinner
robot: yes master
me: stop leaking oil everywhere
robot: sorry master
*wakes robot*
robot: malfunction
me: WTF?, losy pice of junk
*kicks robot*
robot: detecting hostility
me: hostillity?
robot: destroy hostile
*robots chest opens up and a minigun appears*
me: MUMMY!!!!!!
Wed 01/10/03 at 16:55
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Personally I think 'mind' gets in the way of things when trying to make computers more useful.

How about instead mucking around with the nucleus of a cell, y'know, the brain that decides what that cell is going to do and when.

Then you could tinker about with the DNA in there and instead of the cell taking in oxygen, mixing it in the mitochondria with glucose and producing energy, it could take in oxygen, mix it in the mitochondria with glucose and produce cyanide after a certain time had elapsed.

Taking cells a little further, it's well known that cells communicate with each other socially in hundreds of different ways, only some of which we're aware of.

So instead of getting one cell to shout "Hey guys, you're muscle tissue now!" which would cause all the neighbours within earshot to convert to muscle cells, it could perhaps shout something more useful like "Hey guys, got an equation here for you to work out..."

The biological computer is born. And I haven't even touched on nanotechnology yet :)
Wed 01/10/03 at 15:21
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
The benefits are we can be lazy sods and let a hunk of metal do all our work for us. And there are no moral or ethical issues to worry about, at least not until some anti-anti-ethical protestor comes along and wrecks it for everyone...
Wed 01/10/03 at 12:35
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
That's just 'true' AI

I did an essay on it a couple of years back.

True AI got stuck in development many years ago trying to understand a nursery rhyme that a four year old could.

The ways that people have got around it is by using different languages such as Prolog (conditional languages I think) to simulate understanding, but this understanding obviously still has limits.
Wed 01/10/03 at 08:34
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I suppose the ability to learn - a bit like the neural chip in the T101's. To be non-linear and to be able to communicate freely.
Wed 01/10/03 at 08:29
"I love yo... lamp."
Also good AI can stop robotic dogs from dumping in the corner of your living room when you're not looking.

In saying that, the Japanese had a big 10 year project that was meant to develop the best AI out there for what ever reason. 10 years and £100's of millions later the project shut, with barely any success to its name.
Wed 01/10/03 at 07:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Cyclone wrote:
> I.e - What points are they selling all the research on?

Researcher:
"Hey, computer! Which horse will win the 3:15 at Newmarket today?"
"Bzzzt... Glidingonby."
"Cool."

Department of Defense:
"We'll take 100."
Tue 30/09/03 at 23:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Can somebody please inform me about what benefits AI is percieved to have.

I.e - What points are they selling all the research on?

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.