GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IGN's attack on E3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/05/05 at 01:35
Regular
It is difficult to say that Nintendo had a good E3. Granted it isn't the end of the world. Hard to believe I know. But all major consoles had a rough time of it.

IGN stated that Sony "pretended" to have titles, even though there was nothing more than FMV and a title. In fact most of the time nothing more than the brief FMV shot of Samus at the Revolution unveilment.

But IGN's major worry was with the X-box 360. A console due out in 6 months had exactly 0 playable titles. Even the normal X-box had a disasterious turn out. At least Revolution is a way off yet. Granted Microsoft showed running demos, but from fear of a bad press microsoft only let celebs play the games. Because these celebs were paid to like it.

It looks like E3 was nothing special for any console, almost totally concentrating on hardware and the look of the system itself. Granted Nintendo showed the least without any demos. But Sony didn't show anything in game and Microsoft didn't show anything playable.

And they are the first 2 consoles for the next round.
Wed 01/06/05 at 15:11
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Dringo wrote:
> So you didn't get Pikmin or Super Smash Brothers: Melee. The best
> games released on the Cube at the time?

I got mine from Toys R Us, they hardly had anything. The next game I bought was The Simpsons Road Rage *wipes tear from eye*.

Nothing really interested me in the GC's first few months. I thought Pikmin looked boring (I still do) and I never really considered SSBM. It did pick up nicely towards the end of 2002 though. Resident Evil turned out to be one of my favourite ever GC buy's. Once 2003 rolled around I started to get my money's worth with The Wind Waker and Metroid Prime.
Wed 01/06/05 at 14:26
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> For £30 though it made me want to smash things.
>
> That'll teach ya for wasting your money then :).
>
> Should have got Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader like the rest of us :D.

Yes don't buy Nintendo launch titles: they're ****!

Straight from Dringo the #1 Nintendo fan there.
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:28
Regular
So you didn't get Pikmin or Super Smash Brothers: Melee. The best games released on the Cube at the time?

2 months after them Resident Evil.

A month after that Timesplitters 2 and Super Mario Sunshine.

Followed by Eternal Darkness and Starfox (Shudder) Adventures.

Then Metroid Prime, Pac Man Vs and Resident Evil 0 in March. Zelda in May. An onslaught of 1080, Viewtiful Joe, F Zero, Mario Kart etc... over Christmas.

A quiet few months made of third party releases including Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Harvest Moon and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes in March. MArio Golf and Pokemon Colleseum soon followed.

Then it wasn't until September with Animal Crossing and Wario Ware, followed by Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2 and Donkey Konga in the Christmas months.

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Four Swords Adventures and Mario Tennis the first 2 months of this year. March saw Resident Evil 4 and Timesplitters 3 take credit. Starfox Assault in June with Donkey Konga 2...

Then, I predict, as usual, nothing until September.

To be honest it is good to be a Nintendo fan in March, October, November and December. Any other time and it is best to sleep.
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:17
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Cube release was awful.
>
> I ended up buying crap like ISS2 and Luigi's Mansion for full price,
> just because there was absoloutly nothing else worth having.

When I went to buy mine a couple of months after release, there was still maybe only 10-15 titles available. I ended up with Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader so it wasn't too bad, but they really WERE the only two games that I thought looked decent.
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:16
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> I wish Revolution will have a quality FPS. I'm not asking for much.
> Just the one.

That's the one problem with Xbox and the same problem I'm alreay seeing in 360's line-up. 9 out of 10 games for 360 seem to be 1st person shooters or survival horrors of some kind, you can also guarantee that most the games involve guns.

Hopefully Kameo will turn out better than I expect. The E3 footage certainly looks a lot more promising than the game ever has, I just hope it isn't a case of "LOOK THOUSANDZ OF ENEMIEZ ON SCREEN" to divert you away from the crappy game play.
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:12
Regular
Yeah, I'm sure I'll enjoy it and it'll be good fun. But I can't see it being propelled into first person shooter stardom along side Halo, Doom, Half Life, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters.
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:10
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> Then again, maybe GEiST will blow us away.

It's definetly looking better than it did at a few years back, but then you'd kinda hope it would be after all this time.
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:08
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
>
>
> Rogue Leader was the first game I bought, the only launch game that
> was actually worth my money. I hired Monkey Ball and to be honest it
> didn't really float my boat.
>
> Actually come to think of it Tony Hawks 3 was also a good launch
> game.

Oh yeah that was a good launch game. And Luigi's Mansion was fun, but wayyyy too short. And it was just a few weeks till Super Smash Brothers. And Wave RAce was a laugh. Bloody Roar was also quality...
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:07
Regular
Possibly, unless they're crap.

I wish Revolution will have a quality FPS. I'm not asking for much. Just the one.

I hate the X-box, there's just not enough games I like on it. But the Halo, JSRF and Conker ALMOST makes it worthwhile.

Nintendo could do with a few titles like JSRF on their consoles... and a decent FPS.

Do a deal with Free Radical for christs sake.

Then again, maybe GEiST will blow us away.
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:06
Regular
Dringo wrote:

Rogue Leader was the first game I bought, the only launch game that was actually worth my money. I hired Monkey Ball and to be honest it didn't really float my boat.

Actually come to think of it Tony Hawks 3 was also a good launch game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.