GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Urgent Help: Total Computer Fook Up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/09/03 at 00:35
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
My dad's computer.

Yes, Dad + Computer = Disaster.

A wire was loose at the back or something, just the printer I think.
Now, the tower is on like a shelf around 2-4 inches off the ground.

He just hoofed it out, badoompf.

Now, it won't start up.

I looked inside, and the Gfx card wasnt plugged in porperly, as it wasn't screwed in securely.
I sorted it, and thought that it'd be it.
But it wasn't.

The computer starts buzzing, the fans go on etc... but then it starts to like beep.
I've had this before when I replaced a Gfx on my comp a while ago - putting it back in securely sorted it.

Everything is in properly, securely, all wires and hardware etc.

So what the hell is wrong?

Help!
Mon 22/09/03 at 21:14
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Nah, it ain't.

I'll probably disect it for the fun of it.
Mon 22/09/03 at 12:41
Regular
Azul wrote:
> Twas' the Gfx card - tried it on my comp too, didn't work.
>
> Cheers to everyone who helped, muchly appreciated.

The question is - What are you going to do now with that graphics card? You could take it back if its still under warrenty.
Sun 21/09/03 at 21:53
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
You, sir, are superb.

Twas' the Gfx card - tried it on my comp too, didn't work.

Cheers to everyone who helped, muchly appreciated.
Sun 21/09/03 at 20:52
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
At last someone's put it to me simply.

I'll just go and try it - I'll nab the RAM and Gfx card from this comp.

Cheers.
Sun 21/09/03 at 20:42
Regular
"programmers rule!"
the beeps usually mean theres sumthing wrong with the graphics card or ram. cheak the ram is pushed in properly if it is pull the sticks out and try sum sticks which you know work. if it works replace the faulty ram, if it doesnt try changing the graphics card. write back if none of this helps
Sun 21/09/03 at 19:06
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Aha, I've located the BIOS chip.

AMI.
Sun 21/09/03 at 19:02
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
That's exactly it.

IT DOESN'T BLOODY LOAD!

:)
Sun 21/09/03 at 18:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Your bios will declare its version when it loads.
Sun 21/09/03 at 18:24
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
How would I find out what kind of BIOS it uses?
Consult the motherboard book?

I checked - couldn't really see anything about it.
Sat 20/09/03 at 18:07
Regular
"relocated"
Azul wrote:
> He just hoofed it out, badoompf.

Excellent. This is a technique I use frequently while trying to fix computers. Could your dad perhaps badoompf it from a different direction?

As everybody else said the thing to do is find out what BIOS you use, then find a list of its error codes. I had a PC that did the continuous beeping thing once, and this wasn't an actual error code at all so the 'code' was useless. Turned out to be a faulty stick of RAM, but I only figured that out by borrowing/stealing working components and swapping things in and out till the machine could POST. If everything is seated and connected properly, and the beep code is no help, then trial and error is probably your best option - but that assumes you can get hold of components that you know are working.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.