GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Drop Owen? the answer of England's troubles!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/09/03 at 20:55
Regular
Everywhere across the country people question 'who will partner Owen?' but maybe for once Sven can use these games against -below average- footballing countries to try someone else upfront without Owen? then we will see who will be able to work hard and score good goals rather than someone putting a through ball through to Owen and with a bit of luck he won't scuff it wide (which he does best for Liverpool)
Perhaps Beattie may get a chance to show what he can do with good service, he does the job at saints with the likes of Marsden and Tessem what could he do with Beckham and Gerrard???
Sun 07/09/03 at 23:18
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Im not sure what could be learned by playing 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 although it would be interesting to watch :)

I think if Beattie ever gets a chance then this must be it... i thought Hargreaves was crap against Macedonia so why not put Heskey out on the left again (he always plays well there and at least he'll hold up the ball better than Owen or Rooney can) then play Beattie and Owen upfront so its a kinda 3 strikers formation of sorts.
Sun 07/09/03 at 23:10
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Why not just go for broke against Liechtenstein and play Owen, Heskey and another striker up front? It would certainly be adventurous.
Sun 07/09/03 at 23:06
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
earnshaw wrote:
> Against turkey when England were looking very shoddy Vassel came on
> and inspired them to victory shame he is at villa though, he'll never
> be a big player that way!!

He recently signed a new contract with Villa too (he loves that club as much as the die hard fans do)

I personally dont rate Vassel all that highly certainly not at club level anyway, i think he is a good sub for England but if he was playing regular 90 minute matches i doubt he would be anywhere near the player he is whilst he is getting just the 15 mins or so.

He is sort of explosive player you want to introduce with 15-20 mins left in a game and tell him to run at the defence, then run at them some more, they cant handle his fresh legged pace after 75 mins of action so it makes him look alot more effective than he probably is...

Im not trying to do him a dis-service but those are just my opinions, i dont think he is the goal machine some people think he is despite his reasonably good return value thus far... like i say a good sub for the last quarter of a match but not an all out 90 minute player as he has shown season in and season out at Villa (and you cant blame the entire Villa team for Vassells poor goal ratio and club performance... he frequently looks decidely average in the Villa team and not quite the beam of light that he may be portrayed as, you cant blame his team mates for any of that, Villa are a good team that just under-perform more often than they should (including Vassel) simple as that, inconsistency maybe... Foreman will know more about it than i do but living in Birmingham i hear alot of chat etc regarding this subject daily.
Sun 07/09/03 at 23:04
Regular
"Colourless"
Manda†are wrote:
> Heskey was a player that inspired the other night. WHy do we play
> Rooney?
> He is not ready yet and at most should be played in the England
> U21's.
> Owen should keep his place because he is a player that has his great
> moments on the ball. I would love to see HEskey and vassell start
> together for once!

Hmm, not sure. Heskey played well against macedonia, but can we rely on him to stay on his feet if he starts?
Sun 07/09/03 at 23:03
Regular
of course i am right, vassell has been undenialbly immense in pretty much every game he has played in, and when the whole team is playing badly he is the only player who still impresses,the problem with this is managers go with bignames as they get of lighter if it goes horribly wrong.

Sven should have done the brave thing last summer and left beckham behind, the england team yesterday should have lined up:

James

cole
Terry
Campbell
Neville

Barry
Butt (back of diamond)
Joe Cole (front of diamond)
Beckham

Vassell (ok then mickey owen)
Beattie

Admittedly it would have been well harsh on lampard as he is in form, but yesterdays mdfield lacked any kind of spark (with the obvious exception) and joe cole was the only player we had who was fit and available who could have given us that spark. Why gary Barry isn't getting selected is beyond me he is the only left footed midfielder weve got, and to be honest he is damn good to. Should really by fact he has no competition for the place, be first name on the team sheet.

how you can play a 17 year old ahead of, the top scoring englishman (ahead of your first choice striker in the goal charts last season) beattie, is beyond me, especially as he has started well again this season. In reality beattie-owen should be first choice but i would like to see super darius start!
Sun 07/09/03 at 23:00
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
Heskey was a player that inspired the other night. WHy do we play Rooney?
He is not ready yet and at most should be played in the England U21's.
Owen should keep his place because he is a player that has his great moments on the ball. I would love to see HEskey and vassell start together for once!
Sun 07/09/03 at 21:49
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Ive been thinking like this for a whiles, I mean why exactly do we need Owen to play upfront for England?

Put a decent defender against him and he is rarely a threat 'anymore' he has done well in the past but I think it is time to give someone else a chance.

I agree with Ash, Vassell maybe the answer, not great for his club but pretty good when coming on for England.

Defoe ain't too bad either, maybe he should be given then chance along side Beattie.

But I don't see it happening, Sven's love for Owen won't go in an instant....
Sun 07/09/03 at 21:39
Regular
I used to think like you ya know, but some being is trying to pull me out.

But CM 01/02 has been pulling me back lately...the power is still strong. The only thing holding me back at the moment is this bloody exam on tuesday...

24/7 CM shall return to ortega as soon as that exam is done and sheff wednesday shall have another 80 seasons of glory!
Sun 07/09/03 at 21:33
Regular
must have been earlier than that ruel fox's career was heading towards the toilet by 96!

what do you mean not in real life? champo is the real world! everything outside it is some matrix like existence.
Sun 07/09/03 at 21:23
Regular
Not real life i know...

but on CM97/98 (i think) possible even longer ago, I decided to stick Ruel Fox upfront for England (i had a injury crisis or somthin) and the guy was bloody amazing scoring a hat trick in his first game and he kept his place!

Kinda like Vassel i guess!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.