GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Good Buy?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/09/03 at 11:48
Regular
"may contain nuts"
I posted a little while ago saying I was lookin for a digital camera for around £80 for a media course, I can't find the post anymore so I got another one.

Anyway I found this camera for £90 on Special Reserve and it seems to be pretty great but admittedly I am no camera expert.

Will you take a look at it for me and let me know if it is as good as it sounds. I need it for basically image capture but it needs to be a high res so i can edit the images in photoshop, corel draw etc for media related purposes. I also need short amounts of video that I can edit. Also I need the camera to be simple to install on multiple computers, both home and college.

The url for the camera is http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/ (GAP) q_GG9337_mercury_deluxe_cla.html - I would appreciate comments from someone who knows a bit more about cameras than I do. Thanks.
Sat 06/09/03 at 11:48
Regular
"may contain nuts"
I posted a little while ago saying I was lookin for a digital camera for around £80 for a media course, I can't find the post anymore so I got another one.

Anyway I found this camera for £90 on Special Reserve and it seems to be pretty great but admittedly I am no camera expert.

Will you take a look at it for me and let me know if it is as good as it sounds. I need it for basically image capture but it needs to be a high res so i can edit the images in photoshop, corel draw etc for media related purposes. I also need short amounts of video that I can edit. Also I need the camera to be simple to install on multiple computers, both home and college.

The url for the camera is http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/ (GAP) q_GG9337_mercury_deluxe_cla.html - I would appreciate comments from someone who knows a bit more about cameras than I do. Thanks.
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:09
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
That is one good buy!!!
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:13
Regular
"may contain nuts"
I though so, seems to have everything I need.

As long as the memory isnt volatile (I better go and check) then I will probably buy it.
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:20
Digital still / video camera / Webcam / voice recorder

You got a good range of things to use there mate, so thats good.

3.1 mega pixel resolution

You are going to get some clear good quality picture with that.

• Auto-power off if left idle for more than 60 seconds

Left your camera on, do not worry, it will turn itself off to save battery life.

• Features 3.5 cm LCD screen for preview and playback

So you have a nice big screen to take the picture with, see what they look like, then delete them if you want to.

•Picture capacity of onboard memory in Fine (high resolution) and Normal exposures - (2048 x 1536) Fine - 9 and Normal - 12. (1600 x 1200) Fine - 12 and Normal - 16. (800 x 600) Fine - 37 and Normal - 51.

So in low quality you could take upto 51 pictures, but i reccomend using medium quality for most photos, unless it is a special occasion.

• 4X digital zoom

So if you are using the LCD then you can zoom in uto 4X, wich is a fair amout of zoom, so this is all still good so far.

• Auto focus

Just to stop it going blury and you having to change lots of setting, this is standard on most cameras now.

• Contains 8 MB built-in memory

Not a great amount of memory, so you would have to go out and buy some extra. But enough to start off with.

• Voice recorder up to 29 minutes

Love the sound of your own voice do you, well record it for 29 minuets, spose this is good if you need to take a quick note while you are out and do not have a pen handy.

• Records up to 3 minutes of video footage

Thats not too bad, probably do alot more when you buy extra memory, i think it means 3 minuets at a time. So yer thats good.

Expandable memory with (SD) Secure Digital cards of up to 512 MB

So the camera takes SD Ram, so if you want to take loads of pictures, you will have to go out and buy some. The prive varies on what size you get.
I would reccomend 256MB

• Features built-in high quality flash with flash strobe for reduced "red eye" effects

So dont worry too much about the people in your picture having red eyes, this option should sort it out.

• Size - 9 X 6 X 2.8 CMs approx., weight - 100g approx. (without batteries)

100g without batteries, so it is pretty light, you could even fit that in your pocket.

• Simple user interface

Just means that the layout is easy to use, wih is good, stops you getting confused.

• Extras include USB cable, Video cable, 4 x AAA batteries, strap, soft carry case and picture viewing/editing software - MGI PhotoSuite (Version IV SE), PhotoVista (Version 2.02), Videowave (Version IV SE) and Microsoft NetMeeting

Basically everything you need to get the camera going and to keep it from getting broken.
It says it comes with 4AAA batteries, does the camera take 4 AAA batteries all at once? Because that is quite alot, you will either be spending alot of money on AAA batteries if you are going to be using the screen alot, or just buy some recharegable ones.
Trust me, using the LCD drinks the batteries, so if you are using it, make sure you have spare batteries on you.

• Connects to PC via USB lead (SUPPLIED)

Yer this is good, uploads your picture to your computer fast, and it connects to your computer easilly.
Even better if you have a card reader built into your pc though, you just take the card out and put the memory into your computer, saving the battery life on the camera.

Id give the camera 8/10.
It does seem a very good camer for the price, i know if i was looking for a camera i would be thinking about this one.
The only bad point mate is the battery, it doesnt say if it does take 4AAA batteries, or if it just comes with spare. It also doesnt tell you the average battery life, which you should send an email to SR asking them.

But look around mate, dont just go for the first one you see, there is always the same camera with different price tags.

Hope this helps mate.
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:25
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
memory isn't a problem as you will be probably getting a memory card for it (you can get memory cards really cheap on ebay) anyway.

What does matter though is the megapixels - cameras that price are usualy interploted their megapixels so they turn out to be 1.2 megapixels like this one:

http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/ (space) q_GG6643_trust_770z_33_mega.html

which just happens to be more expensive.
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:27
For the price mate, i say go for it, it seems a pretty good camera for the price.

Any questions mate, just ask, i will TRY to help.
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:30
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
All digital cameras drain batterys and the trick is to keep it turned off until you want to take some pictures and even then you should keep the screen of until you are about the picture.
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:30
Regular
"may contain nuts"
Thanks Robin, that was really helpful mate.
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:33
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
I wish I had that sort of money...
Sat 06/09/03 at 12:33
San1 wrote:
> All digital cameras drain batterys and the trick is to keep it turned
> off until you want to take some pictures and even then you should
> keep the screen of until you are about the picture.

Not true, my dads digital camera comes with 2 batteries, special ones that only fit the camera. so one to go in it, and one spare, and the batterie life with the LCD on is about 5 hours.

But that was about £600, a bit pricy for us kids. :(

Thats ok Bouncer, just happy to do a decent post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.