GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ghostbusters NTSC versions are region free !"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ghostbusters: The Video Game'.
Tue 09/06/09 at 20:16
Regular
"I like turtles"
Source 1

Source 2

Despite Sony securing exclusive early rights for the PS3 version in Europe it appears that Atari are releasing both the North American and apparently Asian (see eBay item no. 200350936134) NTSC versions of Ghostbusters without region protection.These will therefore play perfectly in UK Xbox 360's.It can be ordered for around £32 - £34 delivered from most import sites.Kind of begs the question what the hell Sony are trying to achieve as any 360 owners who want a copy of the game are surely just going to import it ?.
Wed 08/07/09 at 12:46
Regular
"I like turtles"
I have now played both the 360 and PS3 versions of this game.The 360 version does have better graphics but the difference is not massive IMO.Neither version is a technical masterpiece,both suffer from some quite noticeable slowdown when there is a lot going on.On the plus side it does make good use of the Ghostbusters licence and its a fun to play for sure.I would say if you have both consoles and can pick up a 360 version without paying the silly money they are are fetching on eBay,then go for this version.If not,then get it for the PS3.I would give the PS3 version 7/10 and the 360 7.5/10,as I said the difference is not that great.Does look funny when the Sony logo comes up at the start of a 360 game though !.
Fri 26/06/09 at 18:39
Regular
"I like turtles"
Up to £40 now at all UK retailers now ! :(

Good old rip off Britain !.
Fri 26/06/09 at 06:55
Regular
"I like turtles"
365 games have them instock in the UK now.Gone up £2 from the pre-order price.£34.99 delivered : Here

Still better than the silly prices there going for on eBay.
Mon 22/06/09 at 08:38
"possibly impossible"
That's pretty good, avoids worrying about the import duty. Not sure how they're allowed to do that but good news for people who don't want to chance importing themselves.
Sun 21/06/09 at 19:13
Regular
"I like turtles"
If anyone wants a copy would consider getting it here

There not the cheapest @ £38.99 but Movietyme are fast and ship from within the UK,so no VAT or duty problems.They take Paypal but they do charge for it.Good,reliable company,I buy most of my US Blu Ray's/DVD's from them.

Its £32.99 here 365 Games also ship from within the UK but apparently they are waiting for stock.
Fri 19/06/09 at 09:54
"possibly impossible"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Interesting, no other review seems to think it was much of a
> difference.
>
> Only

> a

> few

> other

> reports

There are now, yes. Not when I wrote the original comment!

At least that backs up what the head-2-head shows, that the programming was obviously rushed and shoddy from Atari (on both platforms, but the PS3 seems to suffer more).

Of course, it won't make that many more people import that wouldn't have already. Most will either be put off by the thought of importing or wait for the October release. It would be interesting to see sales figures in the US though for both consoles.

As to whether it means anything significant, well no, the reviews are saying that both versions are just as playable despite the graphics differences and both versions are worth getting if you own the respective consoles. You could just as easily argue that the 360 version is more likely to suffer from your 360 getting RROD or that the PS3 version will suffer from not having the Xbox Live service to matchmake.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that if Sony hadn't picked up the game for an earlier release in Europe there wouldn't be this big a news story about graphical differences.
Fri 19/06/09 at 05:46
Regular
pb wrote:
> Interesting, no other review seems to think it was much of a
> difference.

Only
a
few
other
reports
Tue 16/06/09 at 08:29
"possibly impossible"
Interesting, no other review seems to think it was much of a difference.

There were some issues with the PS3 version not showing all the particle effects like glowing embers (IGN too pointed this out) but not that great a difference. Will be interesting to see when I get the game.
Tue 16/06/09 at 07:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
This is very interesting.Reports are being posted reckoning the 360 version of Ghostbusters is superior to the PS3 version ?.Very strange in this day and age as most games are usually pretty much identical.

Ghostbusters 360/PS3 Comparison

Don't know if its just fanboy nonsense or if the difference in the graphics on the 2 systems is being exaggerated ?.If not region free 360 imports will be really sort after.
Wed 10/06/09 at 12:09
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
> er...because it wouldn't have got published otherwise?

Yeah,I read that too but don't subscribe 100% to that story to be honest.If that was indeed the case then why didn't Atari postpone the other format versions release worldwide ?.Seems very odd to me that its happened on a game to which Sony just happen to own the film rights to.The European 'exclusive' PS3 release comes out in a very barren patch for games releases while the 360/Nintendo versions will get totally lost in the middle of the big winter releases.Personally I think its great that 360 (and also DS) owners will now be able to get hold of the game this summer if they want to.Especially as early reviews for the game have been promising.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.