GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Return of the King - To much left to do? (spoilers)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/09/03 at 21:30
Regular
"not dead"
Just finished reading Return of the King for the first time since the last, some eight years ago, and, well, there's an awful lot left to happen in just three hours.

I really think that Shelob's lair and the capture of Frodo would have been a fantastic ending to Two Towers, rather than a beginning to King. Wasn't the reason that there wouldn't be enough Frodo and Sam in the movie if they did that? I don't know but I think Frodo's rescue by Sam and their final journey to Mount Doom would have been sufficient.

But there's also so much to happen to the other characters. They've got to go to Isengard to see Saruman, and get to Gondor. You've got the speedy journey of Gandalf, Aragorn heading through the paths of the dead, and the riders of Rohan encountering the wildmen of the woods to avoid a blocked path.

Then there are all of the events that take place in that battle, and the journey to the Black Gates...

I guess they shalln't bother with the Riders of Rohan and the wildmen, but surely they have to do the Paths of the Dead...

And I'm wondering whether the movie will go as far as the book, taking the Hobbits back to the Shire to see all that has gone on there and their own battle, and further on to Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf and the Elves leaving...?

Afterall, the crowning and marriage of a King would be a fitting ending, and many needn't know that anything of significance happened afterwards.

Any thoughts?
Tue 02/09/03 at 00:52
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Anyone who hasnt got the trailer yet should try and find it.

"Ride now! Ride for ruin!"

I get gooesbumps watching it.
Tue 02/09/03 at 00:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Probably, but they probably wouldn't show them with the Eye stamped on their faces.

But they will have Merry gnarking the Lord Ringwraith. It'll be somehow overly symbolic.

And Gandalf standing beneath the gates.
Tue 02/09/03 at 00:29
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I wonder if they will show the catapults lobbing severed heads over the wall.
Tue 02/09/03 at 00:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
*dreams of Pelennor fields*

Horns, horns blowing wildly from the North.

Rohan had come at last.

Cannae wait for that in the film. Shall be astounding.

As will be the end of the ring.

And the Black Gate.

And all of it really.
Tue 02/09/03 at 00:09
Regular
Yes although they do return to Hobbiton the Scouring is cut - it's been common knowledge since PJ's director's commentry in the FOTR EE. The end of Saruman is likely to be dealt with sometime around the 'voice of Saruman' chapter (which looks set to be near the start of ROTK).

The madness of Denethor is also definately in there - again many sources including PJ confirming this. And in answer to another of Meka's points - the Paths of the Dead is also in it. Interestingly POTD is being pitched as a real test for Aragorn (a point perhaps more subtle in the book) in which by the end of it he proves he is worthy of taking his place as the King in Gondor. Also POTD will not feature the Dunedain and will consist of just Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli entering it, making it more personal and maybe more atmospheric.

And yes as Cookie says it will apparently be a weepy film. A recent interview with Ian McKellan reports that he found it very emotional, and as he only watched the rough cut with incompleted effects shots and no score playing over it, I think we are in for something very special.
Mon 01/09/03 at 23:54
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Afterall, the crowning and marriage of a King would be a fitting
> ending, and many needn't know that anything of significance happened
> afterwards.

They have to end it with Frodo leaving middle earth along with Bilbo, gandalf and the elves, they HAVE to.

Empire reported that it will be a bit of a weepy film, which is always good.
Mon 01/09/03 at 22:38
Regular
Strafex wrote:

> I recon they'll cut out a lot of the pre-battle storyline, like the
> Gondor king (Boromirs Father) losing it etc

Almost definatly.
Mon 01/09/03 at 22:23
Regular
I noticed that lack of Shelobs Lair as well.

They're going to end up cutting out LOADS.

I recon they'll cut out a lot of the pre-battle storyline, like the Gondor king (Boromirs Father) losing it etc and probably keep Sam and Frodo's last stretch of travelling brief.

They HAVE to do the return to Hobbiton too, because they kept Sam's vision in the first one.

Books just weren't written to be filmed! :S
Mon 01/09/03 at 21:39
Regular
I would not worry - Empire recently reported that the theatrical version may run to 3.5 hours wioth the extended edition clocking in at a possible 4.5 hours. And yes the Scouring is definately out. A wise move.
Mon 01/09/03 at 21:35
Regular
"not dead"
Is that a definite?

Timing wise it seems so...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.