GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Return of the King - To much left to do? (spoilers)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/09/03 at 21:30
Regular
"not dead"
Just finished reading Return of the King for the first time since the last, some eight years ago, and, well, there's an awful lot left to happen in just three hours.

I really think that Shelob's lair and the capture of Frodo would have been a fantastic ending to Two Towers, rather than a beginning to King. Wasn't the reason that there wouldn't be enough Frodo and Sam in the movie if they did that? I don't know but I think Frodo's rescue by Sam and their final journey to Mount Doom would have been sufficient.

But there's also so much to happen to the other characters. They've got to go to Isengard to see Saruman, and get to Gondor. You've got the speedy journey of Gandalf, Aragorn heading through the paths of the dead, and the riders of Rohan encountering the wildmen of the woods to avoid a blocked path.

Then there are all of the events that take place in that battle, and the journey to the Black Gates...

I guess they shalln't bother with the Riders of Rohan and the wildmen, but surely they have to do the Paths of the Dead...

And I'm wondering whether the movie will go as far as the book, taking the Hobbits back to the Shire to see all that has gone on there and their own battle, and further on to Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf and the Elves leaving...?

Afterall, the crowning and marriage of a King would be a fitting ending, and many needn't know that anything of significance happened afterwards.

Any thoughts?
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:52
Regular
To be honest this is the first I've heard of a Saruman-Aragorn swordfight. I don't think PJ would go this far, although it is rumoured that Legolas kills Wormtongue. This has naturally got a lot of people in uproar, as an Elf tends to show more mercy, etc. However, these are just rumors and I think PJ will not choose either of these method's of despatching Saruman and Wormtongue.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Don't mind him doing that, just the Saruman fight makes me cringe already.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:42
Regular
Yep Morannon is certainly there. PJ has already confirmed it. There would be many complaining about it's exclusion and we would have heard about this decision many months ago if it wasn't in. Aragorn looks set to defeat the Mouth of Sauron also.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:34
Regular
"gsybe you!"
If the troops march through Osgiliath, then there *should* be a Morannon battle.

Or they are going to 'clean up'. Bah.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:34
Regular
That'd be a way to defeat Sauron. None of this doomed quest to Mordor lark. Just show him a beard-ed dwarfrear. He'd freak.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:32
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Stryke wrote:

>
> The palantir which Sauruman uses to communicate with
> Sauron is taken by Gandalf
>
> --
>
> Neither can this. Aragorn revealing himself to Sauron via the
> palantir is pivotal to how things fit together in RotK.
>
> If Jackson ballses up RotK, I shall not forgive him. Ever. I'm sure
> he's really bothered by that, but still. He's done a superb job so
> far, but an Aragorn Saruman swordfight? Oh no no.

I think that Gandlaf takes the palantir (as in the book) and looks after it for a while (in this time Pippin nicks it from him to take a peek-thus revealing himself to Sauron). Then Gandalf gives the palantir to Aragorn in a kind of ritualistic way claiming that he is the only man who could withstand Sauron's gaze. Then Aragorn makes himself known to Sauron.

Also (though not true) there is a hilarious scene where Gimli picks up the palantir, falls over and somehow moons Sauron whilst farting.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:29
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Mr President wrote:
> Morannon is definately in there. The Mouth of Sauron has been cast
> and there are also pictures around of the surviving men of Gondor and
> Rohan walking through Osgiliath towards Mordor.

Maybe the mouth of sauron gobs off before the battle at Minas Tirith (hurrah I've spelt it right, I thunk). I was hoping there was going to be two big battles but I'm not sure there will be.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:28
Regular
The sagacious one wrote:
>I think that Aragorn and Sauruman have a sword fight. One of
> them dies.

--

Nonononononono. This cannot happen.

The palantir which Sauruman uses to communicate with
> Sauron is taken by Gandalf

--

Neither can this. Aragorn revealing himself to Sauron via the palantir is pivotal to how things fit together in RotK.

If Jackson ballses up RotK, I shall not forgive him. Ever. I'm sure he's really bothered by that, but still. He's done a superb job so far, but an Aragorn Saruman swordfight? Oh no no.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:25
Regular
Scopey wrote:
> The hobbits going to the shire will probably be in the 4 Disc DVD
> extended edition if its not in there..

The Hobbit's going to the Shire will be in the Theatrical Cut - it's not like they will be going straight to the Grey Havens. The Scouring will not be in any cut of the film.
Tue 02/09/03 at 14:24
Regular
Sorry Boatboy :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.