GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unfortunately stereotype rings true"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/09/03 at 10:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
This virus that's being doing the rounds and the kid that's been caught.
Virus writers/hackers.

There is a cliche of computer users, especially those that are "133t" and "haxxor" etc as being fat loners with monitor tans and a sheen of unhealthy perspiration that covers their pasty face.
Think a fat Gollum that likes Star Trek and you're not far off.
Basement dwellers that pick holes in sci-fi movies and are frightened of women, sociopaths that want to strike down people's computers to make up for the fact that they were bullied at school for being...well...nerdlingers with no social grace.

But that's not true is it? I mean, we're not like that so why should these uber-geeks that spend time creating viruses right?
Wrong:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3190799.stm

Sorry to say that one glance at his pic makes me realise just how spot-on our preconceptions of hackers/virus writers are. I can hear him clicking send and chortling “Worst Virus ever”, before his basement door is opened and a shaft of light is thrown down, whereupon he throws his arm across his eyes and hisses “it burns usss” and scuttling under his bed.
Fat Geek causes chaos to make up for being a…well…fat geek.
And I bet you he loves The Darkness.
Mon 01/09/03 at 19:03
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

> I dont mock him for being a chubber. I mock him for being a geek that
> conforms to every stereotype there is.

What, so he's a violent criminal because hes a negro, he's weak because he's a homosexual and he's weird because he's a Scot.

:-)
Mon 01/09/03 at 17:09
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Every stereotype? I'm sure he didn't have spots. Come to think of it, did he even have glasses?
Mon 01/09/03 at 17:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yes it is.
Especially when you are the stereotypical uber-geek.

*points and laughs at the stupid American haxxor*
I dont mock him for being a chubber. I mock him for being a geek that conforms to every stereotype there is.
If he went outside to a gym, or stopped wolfing dingdongs in front of his PC then maybe, just maybe he wouldn't have been nicked for virus-related idiocy.

"Worst Haxxor Evah"
Mon 01/09/03 at 17:00
Belldandy wrote:
> On the other hand he modified something that got around the
> programming of the world's premiere operating system.

It doesn't take much to get around windows, this is why so many kids are adept at it.

Agreed about the issues though. I personally blame it on bad parenting. Not necessarily the childs, but perhaps the children he mixed with/got bullied by at school. It's easily possible that you can be a perfect parent and still have your kid turn out like mud because of the people he met at school.

What a lovely world we live in!
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:54
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
On the other hand he modified something that got around the programming of the world's premiere operating system.

It's tempting to laugh, but people don't just get up one day and think "I'm going to get fat and sit on a PC all day", there's reasons for it and just taking the p isn't really constructive.

Maybe it says something about the world today when so many find sanctuary in front of a PC/TV screen instead of outside...of course it's easier to dismiss them than look at the real issues.
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:48
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
His punishment should be 100 hours of community running and dieting for the next 5 years.
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:45
Regular
So that's why Rik Waller hasn't been on British TV in a while.

He moved to Minnesota..

:-)
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:10
Regular
"Mr Parson has been placed under house arrest in Minnesota without access to the internet."

Tuesdays headline:- "BROAD-MAN-BAND HANGS HIMSELF IN LOSS OF INTERNET"
Mon 01/09/03 at 14:12
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Hello? Is that Domino's

Yes Jeffrey? can I take your order please. We already know the address

It's just me,

Can I have 3 Large pizza's please, 3 Chicken Combo's, 5 Garlic Pizza Breads and 10 Litre of coke please, make sure thats not diet know, y'hear

Jeff, what that sound?

Sorry, I'm dribbling again, can you make sure that you don't send that female delivery woman again, i'm not comfortable with her.

We've got no-one else.

Ok then, could she please post the pizza's through the box then. Cheers.
Mon 01/09/03 at 13:42
Regular
"118 118"
I bet he likes cake.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.