GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One Month On (my website)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/09/03 at 10:05
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Well August has come and gone and my first month of trying to run a half-decent website (www.david99.co.uk) has passed, I'm personally pleased that my site has provided some valauble content to some people...

These figures probably pale into insignificance compared to some of your sites, but it just shows that content rules over design, so don't be put off doing your own site and using Front Page/WYSIWYG editors, not everyone is an expert at HTML etc, however my early New Year's resolution is to burn Front Page on 31st Decmeber 2003 !

August Figures:

Visitors: 858
Unique Visitors: 628
Hits: 16327
Pages: 3455
Bandwidth: 18.99mb

Oh, thanks for all help and suggestions along the way, and thank god for Broadband.
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:19
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Staghosting.com

£0.00

Not a bad deal really!

:p
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:27
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
If you want an account, I'll set you up with one. You get 200 meg space and 4 gig bandwidth to start with and if you want more, just ask for it!

I've got control over my own account there so I can give myself a few perks but sct.staghosting.com takes up absolutely bucketloads of bandwidth! And that's a users site!

Ah, they don't give away free subdomains anymore though, you have to buy a proper top level domain and change the DNS to point there.

Oh, and the catch? The hosting is provided free as long as you put 3 links on your site at the bottom, or anywhere on the main index page, it's so that when Google caches the site, it takes the links down and will in time increase the pagerank on the 3 sites. (These are business sites so a higher Google pagerank means more £££.)

A clever little plan really!

Oh, the uptime isn't 100% though, there were a few big problems a couple of weeks ago where the server kept crashing but it's been fine since then...
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:40
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
WickedWare wrote:
> Valentino how much webspace do you have? And are you paying on a month
> by month basis for it?

£20 a year from www.10kwebhosting.com, plus an extra £4 month for 20gb month bandwidth.

> Oh just one more question. When the maximum amount of traffic is met
> what happens? Do people just get error messages when they try to
> download? That's all, thanks.

Don't know is the answer
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:53
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
phi11ip wrote:
> Oh, the uptime isn't 100% though, there were a few big problems a
> couple of weeks ago where the server kept crashing but it's been fine
> since then...

Still, you can't complain for free really, can you?
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:54
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Valentino Rossi wrote:
> WickedWare wrote:
> Valentino how much webspace do you have? And are you paying on a
> month
> by month basis for it?
>
> £20 a year from www.10kwebhosting.com, plus an extra £4
> month for 20gb month bandwidth.

I take it you used £18.99 GB of data and not MB? Otherwise, why pay that extra £4!?!?

> Oh just one more question. When the maximum amount of traffic is met
> what happens? Do people just get error messages when they try to
> download? That's all, thanks.
>
> Don't know is the answer

You get a 'User Bandwidth Exceeded' page instead of your site.
Mon 01/09/03 at 16:58
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
phi11ip wrote:
> You get a 'User Bandwidth Exceeded' page instead of your site.

I think that depends on the host though. Some don't bother nagging you about it until they start to get nagged by the people who provide them the bandwidth in the first place.

Although, yeah, most cut you off straight away.
Mon 01/09/03 at 17:24
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
Tom wrote:
> Although, yeah, most cut you off straight away.

like my host 6Gb its stooopid!!

Valentino if you pay £4 a month for 20Gb more that is £48 a year which is more money than what you pay for the original package!
Mon 01/09/03 at 17:32
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
your right, but only 6gb a month is included in that £20 a year. I manage to wangle it so work paid for it anyway :)
Mon 01/09/03 at 18:48
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I'm really more concerned about the webspace than the Bandwidth. I need gigs of the stuff.

My current broadband provider gives me 250mb's of free space with unlimited bandwidth but 250 is nowhere near what I did!
Mon 01/09/03 at 19:05
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
What stuff do you host?!?

Get Freeola broadband if you want unlimited webspace...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.