GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"15" TFT equivalent to 17" CRT?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/08/03 at 17:02
Regular
I've recently been looking at some TFT monitors, i currently have a 17" CRT monitor and am wanting to upgrade to a 17" TFT monitor. When lookin on SR it says that a 15" TFT is equal to a 17" CRT monitor, is this true?
Mon 01/09/03 at 00:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Actually Alan you only have 84,992 pixels less than me. I'd prefer your display I think, but y'know, that cost more all my computers would do today put together.
Sun 31/08/03 at 23:33
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cookie monster wrote:
> Im using an L1710B as well.

Absolutely awesome TFT's. Getting really good write ups too!
Sun 31/08/03 at 23:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im using an L1710B as well.
Sun 31/08/03 at 22:24
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Yeah a decent quality TFT is always going to be better than a CRT but
> I'd need quite a lot of money to afford a TFT which does the same
> resolution as my CRTs without masses of lag.
>
> In fact I'm not even sure if that's true.. when you talk TFT money,
> CRTs become extremely, extremely good.

Although I still slightly off Robs resolution (2560 x 1024) I'm quite happy with my TFT Twins: Both 17" LG L1710B's. Response time of 16ms which makes it great for gaming, and awesome colour management. Though I have to agree with rob on cost... My set up would cost just short of £800, you could do the same in CRT's for about a thrid of the cost.
Sun 31/08/03 at 12:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Of course it's not essential but it's bloody useful and if I'm buying something I want to use every day I'm going to have it.

From here I can monitor my Internet connection, winamp, irc, a couple of MSN conversations, my last 4 E-mails, the status of all my disk drives and of course, my web browser, all without altering a single thing. With X-Mouse I can even do most of it without having to raise the window. It's not essential but it's bloody efficient.
Sun 31/08/03 at 12:53
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
If "Desktop Realestate" is anything, it's just incredibly poncy =P This is why why have alt/tab, taskbars and virtual desktops, it's really very rarely essential for you to be able to see every app you're running simeltaneously.
Sun 31/08/03 at 11:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
fiƒi[oV] wrote:
> Rob, to you any monitor that doesn't do 1600x1200 at 85hz is crap.

Now that's not true. This monitor does 75Hz.

But yes I do want a decent resolution from my monitor, especially when paying a lot of money for it. Desktop realestate is incredibly valuable, especially when you get used to it. I will never buy another monitor that does less than 1600.

Even with that argument aside, you still pay a lot more with TFTs. I still hold the opinion that a TFT is worth getting if you can pay a bit of money for it.
Sun 31/08/03 at 01:46
Regular
"programmers rule!"
TFT's have a much lower frame refresh rate than CRT's. if you want space then get a slimline CRT.
Sun 31/08/03 at 01:40
Regular
"How Handy."
TFTs are excellent, even this cheap one is much nicer to use than any CRT I've come across. Really. For £260 you can now get a nice 17" with a 16ms response time. Maximum res are smaller for TFTs than CRTs, but then I think 1280 is about perfect on a 17", anything higher and your squinting to read stuff..
Sun 31/08/03 at 01:05
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Rob, to you any monitor that doesn't do 1600x1200 at 85hz is crap. A TFT is perfect in many situations, I'd love to have one both for the amount of desk space I could clear by getting rid of this 19" beast and for the ease of carrying it around ot LAN parties. Ghosting etc is made a much bigger issue than it really is nowadays, it's becoming less and less of a valid argument against them - yes, you do pay more, but for the money you get desk space, ease of transportation, excellent IQ (brilliant with DVI) and it looks a damn sight more sexy than a big grey box.

Looking at a few monitor specs, viewable size of a 17" seems to be between 15.7 and 16, making a 15" tft a fairly viable alternative.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.