GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help save the world."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/08/03 at 03:34
"I love yo... lamp."
You see this is an appeal for you to join www.find-a-drug.co.uk You might have heard about SETI@home, you know the thing where a program runs in the background using your unused processing power to scan data from a satellite dish.

Well FAD is similar in operation, except that instead of looking for aliens it looks for molecules and proteins that can be targeted for further research and stuff in finding a cure for cancer.

I have been running distributed computing projects for over a year now.
It doesn't require much effort, you download a small program and a work unit (WU). Then the program runs in the background just processing. When it finishes that WU it moves on to the next in the queue of 2 or 3 that you download every so often from the net. When it is finished it gets sent back to FAD.

The program doesn't cause slowdown, it only uses unused power, as whenever you do anything else like type a letter it lets you do that and then starts processing again. After all other than in video editing or really high powered games you only ever use an average of 10% or so of your computers capacity. So why don't you donate it to a good cause?

FAD has several ongoing projects. Currently these are cancer, HIV, malaria, multiple sclerosis, SARS and bio terrorism antidotes.

If you do decide to join, I have now created a Special Reserve team. The team number for entering on the setup screen is 2072. So come on join up. So far there is 13 of us in the team. Out of 147 teams, Special Reserve is ranked 54. There is even a linux version now.

One day our efforts could make a difference. Imagine the lives that could be saved. In Britain, 1 in 3 people get cancer. Over a million people a year die in developing countries from Malaria, 3 times as many as AIDS kills. Even so, HIV is at epidemic levels and kills 100,000s a year all around the world. 40 million people in Africa have HIV, and in time it will kill them all.

This project doesn't require anything much of you, all you have to do run the program in the background. You can help to make a difference. It all builds up, just from lots of people running this. So far nearly 4,000 years worth of computer time has been spent scanning 27.62 billion moleculules.

There have been successes in finding growth inhibitors on several occasions in several areas. So come on, join us and help save the world.
Page:
Thu 16/12/04 at 13:01
Regular
"Captain to you."
one of my computers did 5 jobs but it's my second account on the same e-mail so i am hoping that when the laptop finishes it's first job my name will appear on the members list and all my jobs will be put up on the stats.
Thu 16/12/04 at 12:52
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Don't worry Biggles. I've got it running whenever my computer is on. It just takes a while to run through some jobs, which is why it seems like I've stopped.
Thu 16/12/04 at 02:38
Regular
"Captain to you."
Got it running on 2 of my computers it gave me some jip about having 2 copies running think it was because both through the same line but it seems to be running fine on them so will just leave it to do what ever it likes.
Thu 16/12/04 at 01:31
"I love yo... lamp."
Time for an update.

The current targets are:
Cancer
1RV1-Q2, Human Double Minute 2 (HDM2) with inhibitor.
"The p53 tumour suppressor protein regulates cell proliferation in cancer tumours. A small drug molecule which can binding to HDM2 would offer a novel cancer therpy with the potential to enable p53 to stop growth or kill the cancer cells. This query has some similarities to 1ycr-q3 but is based on a more recent crystal structure which includes an inhibitor."

HIV
1AVZ-Q1, Nef protien.
"Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) Nef protein accelerates virulent progression of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) by its interaction with specific cellular proteins involved in signal transduction and host cell activation. Inhibiting Nef from binding to the Src family of kinases has therapeutic potential.

The time taken by our test jobs was variable but less than typical jobs."

Respiratory diseases
1JIZ-Q1, Macrophage Elastase Mmp-12.
"Macrophage Elastase Mmp-12 is a member of the family of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) that play an important role in inflammatory processes contributing to tissues changes and destruction. In the lung, elastin is destroyed and it has been suggested that Mmp-12 activity causes emphysema.

The jobs for this query are typical (ie around 12 hours on a 1GHz PC). "

Proteome
1N1M-Q1, Dipeptidyl peptidase IV.
"Dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPPIV) belongs to the serine protease family. It removes a dipeptide chain consisting of two amino acids from its peptide substrates. DPPIV has been suggested as a possible target for type II diabetes drugs.

The jobs for this query often take longer than typical jobs. "

Since my last update, several other targets have been run and completed. These include other cancer, HIV, proteome and malaria targets.

The Special Reserve team is sitting in 54th place and we are gaining on some above us. However, it is rather slowly. We also have a whole bunch of folk who started running this, and then for whatever reason quit running FAD. So go on, do some good in the world, it's Christmas time after all. Stick it back on, sit back in the knowledge that you're doing your bit to cure some of the worst diseases known to man and that the only effort it requires of you is to have your PC on.
Sun 21/11/04 at 01:13
"I love yo... lamp."
There are lots of hits that are very marginal, as in the energy binding level or something like that is very low. These are the ones that get missed. It isn't really important, they get picked up because FAD is very good at finding hits. Older versions of FAD didn't find as many.

It doesn't mean though that older versions were of less use, because the ones that got missed were of little value. What they are good for however is being able to make more accurate predictions about the results. A weak result still helps you when you do the analysis.

That level of redundancy is unusual. It only happens at the end of a query, because the FAD job server will keep giving out jobs that haven't been returned, so that no jobs are missed. Toward the end of a target it means that there are few jobs left, so lots of people download it. Then lots of people return it. They are looking at ways of reducing it, but don't worry, this only really happens towards the end of a target. Besides, redundancy in a limited form is good because it makes sure that all results are valid.
Sun 21/11/04 at 00:15
Regular
One thing I dont like about FAD is that lots of people will do the same job again. m4042 1ozp-q1 13 people wasted their time doing that one job 5 with 36 hits 8 with 35. Why do we have to keep doing the same jobs again and again, I can understand if maybe 3 times but as many as 13 I'm sure there are cases where the same job has been done by far more people. Seems like a waste of CPU time (between 5 and 33 hours from what they did)
Sun 21/11/04 at 00:02
Regular
Then how come quite a few of your jobs miss hits? Not all like though but quite a few.

EDIT: Okay just checked a few of yours now and they're fine but when I last checked a few weeks ago I was finding 1 with less for every 2 that were fine.
Sun 21/11/04 at 00:00
"I love yo... lamp."
M@rk wrote:

> EDIT: Excellent, maximum CPU rating too, 220 (110x2) not bad for a P4
> 2.4 and because I'm not overclocking I dont miss a single hit.

You don't miss hits overclocking.

Hits only get missed when an abnormally high CPU rating lowers the time out for a molecule binding artificially, meaning that because no extra work is done in that time, hits near where the actual time out should be would be missed. An overclocked CPU will get a higher rating, but will also do more work in that time, hence a lower time out period won't result in a missed hit.
Sat 20/11/04 at 23:42
Regular
Some jobs can take over a day, others less than an hour. If you want to do short jobs then there's Proteome (1-pmn) go to server queue and receive as many of those jobs. Though you do have a pretty fast computer so you might not need to but other people who are struggling doing a job for several weeks now might want to.

On 4 PCs I do about 80 jobs a week.

Also if you have a P4 with is it hyper or dual threading? then you can have two jobs running at once instead of one. When I did 1 job my CPU rating was 140 but 2 jobs it 2 x 110 so I do far more. Don't have more than two jobs running at the most.
Sat 20/11/04 at 23:24
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Notorious Biggles wrote:

> Nice to have you with us anyway Kev.

Cheers it's nice to know i'm helping someone who needs it and glad you mentioned that as I was begining to wonder what was up regarding the length of time its taking to finish, never mind i'll persue for the cause of research
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.