GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I Need A New Graphics Card. Discuss."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/08/03 at 19:59
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/ productspec/productspeccom.php?pcode=ATI9100128MB

Firstly, is that any good?

Y'see, I have no idea when it comes to graphics card's.

Could you recommend any?
For instance, do any of you have a high quality GFX cards that you'd recommend?
Danke.
Thu 28/08/03 at 19:59
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/ productspec/productspeccom.php?pcode=ATI9100128MB

Firstly, is that any good?

Y'see, I have no idea when it comes to graphics card's.

Could you recommend any?
For instance, do any of you have a high quality GFX cards that you'd recommend?
Danke.
Thu 28/08/03 at 20:01
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Oh, and I want something no less than 128mb that isn't at an incredible price.
Thu 28/08/03 at 20:04
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/ product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode= 1530-1064&group=AGPAT&pgroup=VID&ref_site=kelkoo

Thoughts?
Thu 28/08/03 at 20:17
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
If you can find one... Get an ATi Radeon 9500 Pro (they're about £75-120) excellent card, been using one for a while and has full DX9 support.
Thu 28/08/03 at 20:48
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Since you posted that, I've been trying to hunt one down.
I found it twice, and both times with a tag of 148 quid.

Too much I'm afraid.
However, I've found a non-pro version at a considerably cheaper price.

http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/ productspec/productspeccom.php?pcode=ATI9600

Thoughts?
Thu 28/08/03 at 23:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
As always you get what you pay for with graphics cards. £100 for that graphics card is ok but dont expect to be turning up the settings and playing Doom 3 or Halflife 2 with any kind of detail.

What is your current graphics card? As if its say a old Geforce 3 Ti or even one of the Geforce 4 Ti's then you really wouldnt need to upgrade or if you did you would want a 9800Pro or even a FX5900.
Fri 29/08/03 at 18:21
Regular
"bing bang bong"
The amount of memory on a graphics card is pretty much irrelevant to its performance (although Doom III is supposed to want 80-odd MB if you want to run it full detail without going into main RAM). The price you pay for a graphics card is a much better indication of performance.
Fri 29/08/03 at 19:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Miserableman wrote:
> The amount of memory on a graphics card is pretty much irrelevant to
> its performance (although Doom III is supposed to want 80-odd MB if
> you want to run it full detail without going into main RAM). The
> price you pay for a graphics card is a much better indication of
> performance.

Yeah exactly. You can get a FX5200 256mb card but it wont run nothing as its chipset is utter rubbish. Its cheap if you havent got much money, but your only going to just about run pong on it.

About Doom 3 you will actually need to use main RAM. I found out by reading about AGP memory size(the setting in the bios of your motherboard). Apparently the onboard RAM isnt used for all aspects of the graphics and main system RAM is also used at the same time to store textures or something, while the graphics RAM is used for other tasks. I can't remember where I read it but do a search on AGP and you should dig out some more information.
Sun 31/08/03 at 02:07
Regular
"programmers rule!"
why not get a GforceFX5600. its not too expensive, its directX9, its 256MB, its AGP8X, and its Nvidia!
good price at £121
from www.eclipse-computers.com
Sun 31/08/03 at 07:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Also at eclipse, there's the ATI 128Mb Radeon 9600Pro Chipset AGP8x Graphics Card. Not bad for £123.

It depends entirely what price you're willing to pay...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.