GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Browser problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/06/09 at 14:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A problem that is driving me 'nuts' at the moment and any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Using either IE7 or Firefox the following scenario occurs:

Starting either browser, access is quick. Browsing the net, back and forth, when suddenly pages won't load. No way no how. Close either browser and then try again and it is as if no browser exists. The only way to continue browsing is to re-start the machine.

Has been happening now for about a week. Nothing appears to have been changed or installed during this period of time.

Suspected Nod32v4 as it has already played havoc with email, but no. It doesn't appear to be Zone Alarm either. Have reset IE a number of times.

Running Vista64, Quad core.

Any ideas?
Fri 12/06/09 at 13:48
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Was myself who you spoke to. Glad to hear you thought I was helpful, as I really could not help as it was such a strange problem :S

Anyway I will talk to our OM about your bandwidth and see if I can find anything further. As I mentioned its generally quite accurate and is not handled by ourselves but I'll delve as deep as I can.
Fri 12/06/09 at 14:05
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Spoke with Freeola techies recently - brilliant support and we
> agreed that it was software and not a broadband issue.
> However I did make comment about a recent check using
> interconnect regarding pipe status and usage. I discovered that I
> had been cited as a highband width user last Sunday!!! I find
> this hard to believe as my total usage over the last 17 days is
> 9.44 Gb - an average of 0.55 Gb per day, including the Sunday in
> question! Freeola staff couldn't make comment about enta's
> 'banding' and did find it equally puzzling.
>
> Maybe Hmmm could shed some light on this?

As far as I know (some of the) rules are:
"The interconnects will be monitored on a 24/7 basis and the top bandwidth users per interconnect during periods of congestion per day will be flagged on our systems. If a user is marked as a high bandwidth user 5 times, then an alternative set of rules will apply to this individual user’s connection when the ALT is in operation."

As I understand it the amount of bandwidth you have used isn't the only factor involved. The 'black marks' are given out to a percentage of the heaviest users at the time when the ALT is in effect (this will be more so if you are on a congested IPSC node). So if you just happened to be doing something at a busy time you could get 'flagged'.

NB. Nothing should happen to you until you have 5 'black marks' so last Sunday shouldn't effect you.

I'm probably teaching Freeola to 'suck eggs' :¬)
I did politely ask here for the ALT rules.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 12/06/09 at 14:50
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I recently went through the ALT "learning process" myself Hmmm... and it's needlessly complicated to say the least.

I will try and track down the 200+ thread I used on some forums to learn as much as I could. In fact it even turns into a rather heated discussion about how needlessly complicated it is at one point 0_o

The general feel of it was however... When ALT is applied the "high end users" have their connections reduced by 10% first off. This seems the fairest way to do things, as being reduced from 8mb to 7mb pales in significance from the same drop on a 512kb line.

If that does not help, then all users have their connections lowered at intervals.

I assume your comment was from ThinkBroadband Hmmm.. as it is listed there word for word ;) So I'll link that thread for the moment. Here
Fri 12/06/09 at 15:12
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> I assume your comment was from ThinkBroadband Hmmm.. as it is
> listed there word for word ;) So I'll link that thread for the
> moment...

Hi Warhunt,
Actually it's taken from the official EntaNet FAQ document (Customer FAQ New broadband products 2009) - which is why the wording is the same.

Blimey - You've linked to a similar forum full of your competitors! I thought that was against the forum rules ;¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 12/06/09 at 17:06
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Ha Ha, well Think Broadband is not a competitor, so its ok. Or at least our marketing say so ;)

Jut noticed the Enta thing. Did it make it any clearer for you?
Fri 12/06/09 at 17:35
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> Jut noticed the Enta thing. Did it make it any clearer for you?

For me, things have moved on since my unanswered posts I made back in February/March :¬P

"Last date marked as a high bandwidth user: Never"

I'm ok with how the ALT works - I think Dragonlance was asking as he was having trouble getting an answer from Freeola regarding his 'black mark' (see his post below), hence my reply...

Dragonlance wrote:
> "...Freeola staff couldn't make comment about enta's 'banding'
> and did find it equally puzzling."

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 12/06/09 at 18:08
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Oh I see. Well I can imagine what you have said is quite true after looking into it.

Can not imagine it will cause problems anytime soon, although it still seems a mystery if you were not performing "high end" stuff.
Fri 12/06/09 at 19:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Warhunt wrote:
> Oh I see. Well I can imagine what you have said is quite true
> after looking into it.
>
> Can not imagine it will cause problems anytime soon, although it
> still seems a mystery if you were not performing "high
> end" stuff.

May I just say thanks to you both, Hmmm and Warhunt, for trying to provide an answer to this conundrum. It is strange because:

a. My usage is nowhere near 'high end' stuff.
b. Weekend usage is unlimited, is it not?
c. the Sunday in question I couldn't connect for long because of the problem I have described below.

An answer or at least a pretty convincing explanation would surfice, perhaps in plain english from enta?
Fri 12/06/09 at 19:59
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Just off for the weekend myself ;(

Will pick it up Monday if no-one else does before me.
Fri 12/06/09 at 20:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Warhunt wrote:
> Just off for the weekend myself ;(
>
> Will pick it up Monday if no-one else does before me.

Many thanks Warhunt, have a good weekend. Me, I'm off on me hols....oh yes....but I'll look in next week from me Greek island :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.