GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Browser problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/06/09 at 14:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A problem that is driving me 'nuts' at the moment and any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Using either IE7 or Firefox the following scenario occurs:

Starting either browser, access is quick. Browsing the net, back and forth, when suddenly pages won't load. No way no how. Close either browser and then try again and it is as if no browser exists. The only way to continue browsing is to re-start the machine.

Has been happening now for about a week. Nothing appears to have been changed or installed during this period of time.

Suspected Nod32v4 as it has already played havoc with email, but no. It doesn't appear to be Zone Alarm either. Have reset IE a number of times.

Running Vista64, Quad core.

Any ideas?
Mon 13/07/09 at 22:22
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Warhunt wrote:
> Sorry DL was busy yesterday. Weekend was good though cheers ;)
>
> Based on the latest info I don' t think I need to chase up as
> I'm 99% sure Hmmm... has hit the nail on the head there. I would
> not be too concerned over it.
>
> As for system restore you considered a fresh install? May be a
> nightmare but you know computers.... :( Also I remember you
> saying its fairly new. Should still have discs and that.

Hi Warhunt et all - a progress report on said problem. No matter how many times you use system restore or repair vista....this problem recurs and seems to be deep seated within IE8 itself...the introduced new version of Protected mode.

Using Task Manager to view 'processes' on every internet access, I discovered an additional process running during the time when access was unavailable.....end this process and there is no problem closing and then opening a browser session until the cows come home or until this 'pesky little microsoft process' appears again.....what process you ask.......drum roll....

ielowutil.exe

Running Vista64 it appears within both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE and appears to be useful as described below by the MS IT Team:

"IElowutil stays around for 5 minutes (for performance reasons) and is working as designed. This utility allows cookies to be shared across integrity levels. You can read more about this at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc848890(VS.85).aspx. Although it doesn't mention this exe specifically, it is used for this purpose.

Best regards,

The IE Team. "

However, this is a load of boll*cks and if internet access seems to fail, just after you have been browsing, then check Task Manager and see if this process is running. If it is...end it!

You could always delete it from the IE folders but MS don't seem to sanction this action, but some web info suggests, yes you can..it is 'spyware'!

Anyway, thanks to you all for your assistance over a rather long period of time.....:-)
Tue 16/06/09 at 12:23
Regular
Try upgrading to IE8 and see if it still happens. There could be something in your Internet Settings causing there to be a limit on how much data you can receive...
Tue 16/06/09 at 12:11
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Sorry DL was busy yesterday. Weekend was good though cheers ;)

Based on the latest info I don' t think I need to chase up as I'm 99% sure Hmmm... has hit the nail on the head there. I would not be too concerned over it.

As for system restore you considered a fresh install? May be a nightmare but you know computers.... :( Also I remember you saying its fairly new. Should still have discs and that.
Sun 14/06/09 at 09:23
"Are you sure?"
You won't be able to go back to 'year dot' using 'System Restore', the length of time depends on how much disk space you allow System Restore to use. For example my system can go back to March at the moment, the oldest restore points 'drop off' as new one's are taken...

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 13/06/09 at 19:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:

> Sounds like you might need to check your System Restore settings
> - I like to be able to go back a few months 'just in case'.

I agree, have always made sure I've got restore points but doesn't 'windows' automatically delete restore points after a certain period, which kind of makes it impossible to go back to the year dot! I'll check Vista settings, but I'm sure it follows previous windows incarnations - most of Vista does anyway ;-)
Sat 13/06/09 at 13:19
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> ...others in the household were active during that day - wireless
> access.

Obviously it doesn't matter if the access if via ethernet,usb cable, wireless, homeplugs, etc. if you are using your Freeola ADSL connection then it ALL counts ;¬)

Sounds like you might need to check your System Restore settings - I like to be able to go back a few months 'just in case'.

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 13/06/09 at 11:34
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:

> Regarding your other problems, as you seem to be trying all
> sorts of things I would still recommend trying a System Restore
> to before the problems started. You can then start to
> troubleshoot from there if the problem then returns after
> applying Updates etc.
>

Morning Hmmm, and thanks for the explanation. As you say, it's probably bad luck and yes, others in the household were active during that day - wireless access. However, not in such a way as to cause this problem.

Tried two system restores about three nights ago and both inexplicably failed!!!! Another problem is that the restore points don't go far enough back - which in the light of what I've just mentioned wouldn't matter if they did. However, will try again.

Thanks DL
Sat 13/06/09 at 11:00
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> a. My usage is nowhere near 'high end' stuff.
> b. Weekend usage is unlimited, is it not?
> c. the Sunday in question I couldn't connect for long because of
> the problem I have described below.

My attempt at an explanation for you:

a) As I mentioned this doesn't matter - it depends if you are in the top x% when the ALT is active.
b) Yes it is unlimited, the usage isn't metered - but high users are still 'black marked' these are two separate things.
c) Sounds like you were unlucky - you must have been online when you earnt your 'black mark'. Are there any other internet users in your household - as obviously it's not just your PC?

Regarding your other problems, as you seem to be trying all sorts of things I would still recommend trying a System Restore to before the problems started. You can then start to troubleshoot from there if the problem then returns after applying Updates etc.

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 13/06/09 at 10:22
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Further research seems to indicate that this sudden loss within IE is not unheard of. Pages won't display, yet internet is fine, ping works and so does email.

Microsoft tech help suggests resetting winsock2 and provides a manual or automatic fix. It also provides a list of the ten items winsock should contain - anything less and winsock is corrupted.

My winsock contains eight items! I have manually reset winsock and also let Microsoft reset winsock - and guess what, it still contains 8 items and not ten!

Question, is this correct for Vista64 winsock or has nothing actually happened?

Any ideas?
Fri 12/06/09 at 20:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Warhunt wrote:
> Just off for the weekend myself ;(
>
> Will pick it up Monday if no-one else does before me.

Many thanks Warhunt, have a good weekend. Me, I'm off on me hols....oh yes....but I'll look in next week from me Greek island :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.