GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is there any point in a PS one, it's practically the same as the PSX."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/02/01 at 10:58
Regular
I brought a PSX a couple of years ago, and now the newer PS one has just come out. I don't see the point in the PS One, as it is just the same as a PSX, but just a bit smaller. They say it is better because there is going to be a small screen which connects on to the back of it, but its going to be really small, and when are we going to see it? Instead of buying a PS One, isn't it better to save up your money for a PS2? My friends have brought a PS one as well as their PSX, and basically i think that it is a waste of money, as it is just the same as having two PSX's. Also, the PS One costs more than a PSX, so isn't it better to buy the cheapest one if you do buy one, and save your money?
Does anyone agree with me, or does anyone think differently? Please leave your views so that i can see what you think.
Sat 24/02/01 at 13:17
Regular
Hey it has that mini screen aswell.
Fri 23/02/01 at 13:04
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I would go with the PSOne, I mean I wouldn't say no to a PS2 if a green fairy came up ti me and gave it to me but I do think that the PS2 is too expensive for what it is, I see the Playstation 2 as lots of graphics with a dash of gameplay and that is not what I look for, I look for fun, playability and even more fun, and for it's price I don't think the Playstation 2, with it's current titles, can match that request, I might save up and get a PS2 when it is £199 with a game or two but then again I said that about the Dreamcast and I still haven't got one even @ £98.99!

So I suppose it is that special something that a certain console offers, you can see super graphics on the Dreamcast, a really cool 'Loading' sign on the PS2 and play super games on the N64, so i suppose it is whatever takes your fancy!

The Game
Fri 23/02/01 at 12:50
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Makes me wonder sometimes why I got that Gameboy Color in the first place. Oh yes, I remember, Pokemon Blue. I reckon Pokemon on the Gameboy is akin to Tetris in ye olde dayes.

It 'feels' like the same sort of addictiveness anyway.

Wonder what the next equivalent could be that's just as addictive?
Fri 23/02/01 at 12:38
Regular
"not dead"
Considering I drive almost everywhere i go, it's not really in my future either.
Fri 23/02/01 at 12:35
Regular
What's the point, that sniper rifle is hard enough to aim and keep your tube of Pringles balanced at the same time without trying to do it on the move.

Portable Gaming: Not in FantasyMeister's Future.
Fri 23/02/01 at 12:34
Regular
"not dead"
You can get MGS for the Gameboy Colour.
Fri 23/02/01 at 12:28
Regular
Yes, but it won't play my favorite Sony Games yet, Metal Gear Solid anyone?
Fri 23/02/01 at 12:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
GBA will have the power of a Playstation, links to the GC, and does not need mains power, or a seperate controller. HA!
Fri 23/02/01 at 11:44
I agree with what you are saying flying pig, and thankyou for correcting me.

The only problem is that the portable screens for the PS one will probably cost around £100, plus the money for the PS One = around £80 and then you need to buy the in car cables on top. If you think about it, it is going to cost around £200 which is two thirds of a PS2 costs. Plus, it isn't exactly going to be handheld is it, is will be quite a handful to carry around. This is quite expensive for just a little improvement on a PSX. I suppose it will be better for Sony as it is cheaper for them and they will make more money, but is it really better for the people who are buying them? I suppose its worth it if you don't have a PSX, and when you buy a PS One you do not want to use it in the car.

If you think about it, you could buy a colour gameboy, a PSX, and some games for this price.
Fri 23/02/01 at 11:31
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Sony redesigned the PSX for a few reasons:
1) It's now cheaper to make
2) It differentiates it more fromn the PS2 (PSOne = White)
(PS2 = Black)
3) It will (hopefully) appeal to more people
4) Something new from the tired (albeit excellent) design of the original PSX

As for portability you can get power cables which'll connect to an in-car cigarette lighter (similar to mobile phone) ad with the new screens that'll be out shortly you'll beable to play PSOne games in the car whilst on the move (But not if you're driving!!?)

The problem with making a truely portable playstation like the game boy is the CD media that it uses. As many of us with portable CD players will know vibration can make CD's jump etc. It isn't so bad with music, but streaming complex data could be more of a problem.
Also the size of the portable PSOne would be restricted by the size of the Cd's and the fact that 99% of games are designed to be played on a TV, so playing Final Fantasy 9 on a 2 inch moniter could be problematic.
I suppose of Sony really wanted to make a portable PsOne they could - but is it worth it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.