GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hello, World - My route to becoming a game developer"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/08/03 at 23:11
Regular
I've been itching to get into games development for years, ever since I wrote my first BASIC programs on the ZX81 back in the early '80s. (OK, so I typed 9999 line program listings from Sinclair magazine then wondered why they didn't work).

25 years later and I've decided to finally stop pfaffing around with silly things like 'careers', 'family' and other non-essential things, and taken my first steps into becoming a 'game developer'.

My first port of call was here: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Basically a website devoted to everything you need to know about getting started, what tools you need, and how to go about it. I've never been good at learning from home, so decided to take a more structured route.

So I'm doing the following:

a) Access to Computing course, 1 year, 16 hours a week, enough to get me into University.
b) BSc in either Software Engineering or Computer Science OR something else computer releated, there's loads of degreees now so I'm still deciding which one is the best to go for if I want to go on and develop games in later years.
c) Learn a programming language.

Step c) is the fun one :) I've decided to go ahead and learn C, as it's a good basis from which to later learn C++ and Java which will probably come along in whichever degree course I finally end up on.

So I went and bought Microsoft's Visual C++ .NET 2003 edition, and after several hours of configuring and installing finally produced my first ever C progam. And yes, it was helloworld.c (ok, it was helloworld.cpp but that's a technicality).

For anyone thinking of learning to program, Microsoft's Visual C++ .NET 2003 seems to have everything you'll ever need, and probably a great deal of stuff you'll never use as well. The only drawback I can see (apart from the whopping 3 Gigs it takes up on my hard-drive), is that it does everything the Windows way. But I figure as long as I remember it's 'just a compiler' for now, I won't get too brainwashed.

Today: "Hello, World!"
Tomorrow: Something a bit more useful, hopefully...

More, as it happens, later.
Tue 02/09/03 at 17:15
Regular
Whats better - C# or C++?

I personally code in VB.
Mon 01/09/03 at 20:20
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Ah, several things I forgot to say there. Got too carried away talking about myself.

Firstly, Java in games. It is used in places - take Runescape for example. 10,000 players online at any time in a MMORPG. I'd imagine the creators are quite well off, no?

Secondly, Java is very similar to C++. Almost all the constructs are identical, with only a few minor differences in syntax. There are a few other features like pointers and multiple inheritance, but nothing major.

You'll be fine on any degree course. I know you're smart enough to ace it, and most employers anywhere in IT look for some sort of degree these days. It's all about demonstrating the ability to work at a certain level, and think in the right ways.
Mon 01/09/03 at 20:14
Regular
"smile, it's free"
FM's career finally begins to form itself before his eyes, huh? :)

I'm going along a similar route myself. I've done a degree in Computer Science (got a 1st), and I'm now doing the masters course in Autonomouse Systems. It's isn't directly going to translate into better chances of getting into gaming careers, but demonstrating the ability to produce work at that level and complete projects of that size are a big bonus.

And of course it leaves me with a large number of other career paths.

The plan from here on in is to finish learning C++, and reach a standard where I can write PC games. I'll have to learn how to program for directX for that, I suspect. I did start to learn programming for the GBA a while back, but I didn't have the time for it, unfortunately.

After that, I'll look for somewhere to apply.

Heh, maybe we can get even Grix and Co in on it, and form Swordspines as a gaming company :)
Mon 01/09/03 at 17:06
Well good luck wherever you work.
Mon 01/09/03 at 15:41
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Icarus wrote:
> Cooky, how did your interview at Eutechnyx go?

Seemed to go ok. But not heard anything back yet tho. Neither has a mate of mine who also went for a interview that day. But their still doing interviews till the end of this week, so a mate of mine who works there says that they might get back to us after then.

Was talking to this other guy the other day when we went to the flicks who I know through other people. His cousin runs a games company in Durham.... Pitbull I think... anyways he said he was gonna ask him if they were looking for anyone for me. That'd be a better place to work I think. Only half the distance away compared to Eutrchnyx. And in the nicer town of Durham as opposed to Gateshead!

:)
Mon 01/09/03 at 02:27
Cooky, how did your interview at Eutechnyx go?
Sun 31/08/03 at 10:48
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I've just finished a course in Computer Games Programming. If you REALLY REALLY want to get into games it's a good way to go. Just make sure you put a lot of time into it and have some decent examples of work to show for yourself at the end of it, or you'll not find it an easy task getting into the games industry.

Actually the best way to get into the games industry as a programmer is probably to do a game programming degree, but make sure you DO a placement! Ppl who don't like me, are at a MAJOR DISADVANTAGE to those who did!

:)
Thu 28/08/03 at 14:49
Regular
"bing bang bong"
unknown kernel wrote:
> But there's a big difference in designing and programming in a
> procedural language and a (sort of) object oriented language like C++.

Yeh. If you're coding C++ like you code BASIC, you're doing it all wrong. This is why Java is a good language to learn first, as it force-feeds you good coding habits.
Thu 28/08/03 at 12:58
Regular
"relocated"
If you already know the basics then you could do worse than getting an ebook of C++ A Reference or something. I prefer having a real book on my desk, so think of it as, uh, try-before-you-buy.
Thu 28/08/03 at 12:56
Regular
"relocated"
All languages are pretty similar in some aspects: there are only so many ways you can write a conditional loop or whatever. But there's a big difference in designing and programming in a procedural language and a (sort of) object oriented language like C++.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.