GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to stop the Sobig virus"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/08/03 at 16:38
Regular
Its on the front of the mirror, and been on all the news chanels. I got 53 copies of the damn thing this morning, and it makes looking for real mail a real pain in the ass. How do you stop it? Don't open it, or isntall antivirus software. But neither will stop you receiving a million and one every few moments - every hour or so I receive 50 which gets on my nerves. Its impossible to stop it being sent to you, bu easy to not receive it. How?

Easy - Open outlook, "Tools\Message Rules\Mail" and set up a new rule for "If the subject line contains the words" and then add:

Re: details
Re: Details
Re: approved
Re: Approved
Re: my details
Re: My details
Re: Thankyou!
Re: thankyou!
Re: That movie
Re: that movie
Re: wicked screensaver
Re: Wicked screensaver
Re: Wicked Screensaver
Re: your application
Re: Your application
Re: Your Application
Your details
your details
Your Details
Thankyou
thankyou
Re: Thank you!

As the list of words, and choose "Delete from server" as the result of the rule.

The way it works is this trains outlook to delete from the server, and never ever download any mail with any of those subject lines. The sobig virus always uses one of those lines! So now it can never clogg up your inbox again!

Admitidly, if somebody sends you a genuine mail titled "Your details" it will be removed...But, as soon as all the nonsence dies down you can easily deactive the rule.

Not perfect, yet Simple - and effective.
Sun 24/08/03 at 20:39
"slightlyshortertagl"
Keep your PC off till September 11th.

It times out then.
Sun 24/08/03 at 20:36
Regular
"Ah the mystic porta"
Memorandum! wrote:
> But if he had that many MP3s and didn't back them up he's an idiot.

Like budwiser. True
Sun 24/08/03 at 20:30
Regular
Some will be there to re-download though it is stupid.
Sun 24/08/03 at 20:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Wow, thats a lot of mp3 files.
Sun 24/08/03 at 20:11
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
But if he had that many MP3s and didn't back them up he's an idiot.
Sun 24/08/03 at 20:09
Regular
"Ah the mystic porta"
Bora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> haven't come into contact with it yet - does it just replicate, or
> does it also destroy files?
>
> several friends got the MSBLAST virus, but I believe they used the
> patch available (XP) and that sorted it out.
>
> I don't have problems with viruses really.
>
> Always be sure to virus check anything dowloaded from kazaa - a
> friend got the I-LOVE-YOU virus a year ago through kazaa, and it
> wiped clean all his photos from his 1 month in australia. He didn't
> have them backed up either ! :(

Yeh my friend got that. He lost 900 mp3's that he spent a year downloading on a 56k connection. With them not being backed up he was not to happy.
Sun 24/08/03 at 10:23
Regular
"118 118"
I'm really pleased I havent had one of them yet.

The file size of virus is always about 47k and I never open an email unless its under about 15k, otherwise I open it at college. It doesnt matter then!
Sun 24/08/03 at 04:17
"I love yo... lamp."
I have not had either sobig or msblaster. In fact this computer hasn't had a single virus in 2 and a half years. Despite having broadband, getting several hundred emails a day and never having had a virus scanner on it. I do use an online scanner through PC Pitstop once in a while though, tried it the other day.

Quite simply viruses know better than to mess with my machine. Maybe.
Sun 24/08/03 at 02:33
Regular
haven't come into contact with it yet - does it just replicate, or does it also destroy files?

several friends got the MSBLAST virus, but I believe they used the patch available (XP) and that sorted it out.

I don't have problems with viruses really.

Always be sure to virus check anything dowloaded from kazaa - a friend got the I-LOVE-YOU virus a year ago through kazaa, and it wiped clean all his photos from his 1 month in australia. He didn't have them backed up either ! :(
Sat 23/08/03 at 20:46
Regular
"Ah the mystic porta"
I havn't recived it once yet either

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.