GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The modern day Jackie Chan debacle"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/08/03 at 20:18
Regular
Calling Jackie Chan fans. What do you make of the great kung fu merchant’s movies over the last few years?

I was just checking the IMDB and noticed his latest film, “The Medallion” is due out soon in the US, so upon reading about it, it sounds like yet more utter tosh (its current rating on there is 4.8/10).

SO, lets look at the facts:

-Jackie Chan made some of the most amazing action films in the 70’s and 80’s, films like Project A 1 & 2, the Police Story films, Armour of God 1 & 2, Drunken Master etc.

-He becomes successful in the West, where his films become cult classics.

-Hollywood snaps him up and turns him into a gurning buffoon who can’t make a film without an annoying sidekick or female partner and lots of stupid CGI. Since about 1998, he’s let the Rush Hour films, Shanghai Noon, The Tuxedo and Shanghai Knights out on the general public, all a load of buddy movie tripe.

I suppose we always have his older movies to watch and enjoy whenever we want, but it is a great shame that the amazing man, who’s story is such an amazing one, has turned into a parody of himself. He struggled so hard to make it in his profession and his dream to make it in Hollywood, he’s starred in and directed some amazing films, but now he’s a shadow of his former self. A bit like Eddie Murphy I suppose but replace the kung fu with lots of profanities.

What do you think? Should he just retire and keep some of his dignity, or should he remain in the big Hollywood machine and continue to churn out mediocre tosh for buddy movie-loving goobers?
Fri 22/08/03 at 22:16
Regular
It depends, you don't get to see real people run around a large pole kicking at 100's of clones of their enemies in older films, do you?

Oh, and Rush Hour is great. I just watched number 2, I like it for the comedy, not the martial arts.

Also, this has been bugging me.
What's the name of the Bruce Lee film premiered 4 days after he died. I get a weird suspicion that it's Enter The Dragon, but a weird suspicion that it isn't.

Can someone enlighten me?
Fri 22/08/03 at 19:45
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
For the past year I have been a fan of the 'Hong Kong Legends' series and I've seen many many older kung fu movies. Mainly staring Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Bruce Lee. I like older Jackie Chan stuff like the 'Police Story' series and 'Drunken Master', but more modern stuff isn't as good like 'Rush Hour' and 'Tuxedo'.

It's the same with Jet Li, his 'Once Upon a Time in China' series is great, and 'Hitman' is also good. But more modern stuff like 'The One' isn't as good.

But, unfortunatly, Bruce Lee never got the chance to make modern Hollywood movies. But all of his movies are outstanding and Hollywood never got the chance to waste his reputation.

But I still watch all of the old Hong Kong movies from the 'Hong Kong Legends' company because I think those movies are much better than a lot of modern stuff. I was actually thinking about that the other day, would you rather see all those special effects featured in 'The Matrix' or would you rather watch older stuff where the actors were the stars and not the effects, and all the fighting was done without stunt doubles?

I know what I prefer.
Fri 22/08/03 at 19:45
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I saw Drunken Master on holiday in Spain. It was a great film although it was shown in German and I didn't really understand it because my German isn't that great.
Fri 22/08/03 at 18:30
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> I think his recent movies have been ok, Rush hour 1 & 2 were
> pretty entertaining, and shanghai noon was also pretty good. You have
> to remember this guy is getting older now. He has made a lot of money
> by now as well, i doubt you will see him recreating amazingly
> dangerous scenes anymore.

Exactly.

And like said above, the Rush Hour films were great.

As was Armour Of God, fan bloody tastic.
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:50
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Bora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> he's probably broke every bone in his body at some point in time. one
> good thing about his movies actually - he shows you all the mishaps
> where he gets nice and hurt.
>
> to take punishment like he does and keep going back you've got to
> have some guts.
>
> I saw one where he fell out of a tree and nearly died. It was an
> early film of his, and he was in hospital for months.
>
> top geeza

Yeah, on the credits of RH2, you see him trying to slide through the tiniest grate and just smacking his head. Hilarious. And no insurance company in the world will take him! :0D
Fri 22/08/03 at 09:49
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Oh FFS :0|
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I think the Rush Hour series were bloody entertaining, but The Tuxedo could've done with a lot more RH-style fighting. Still, we have Rush Hour 3 to come :0D
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I think the Rush Hour series were bloody entertaining, but The Tuxedo could've done with a lot more RH-style fighting. Still, we have Rush Hour 3 to come :0D
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I think the Rush Hour series were bloody entertaining, but The Tuxedo could've done with a lot more RH-style fighting. Still, we have Rush
Fri 22/08/03 at 08:54
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
The same argument can be applied to Jet-Li.

That is all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.