GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The modern day Jackie Chan debacle"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/08/03 at 20:18
Regular
Calling Jackie Chan fans. What do you make of the great kung fu merchant’s movies over the last few years?

I was just checking the IMDB and noticed his latest film, “The Medallion” is due out soon in the US, so upon reading about it, it sounds like yet more utter tosh (its current rating on there is 4.8/10).

SO, lets look at the facts:

-Jackie Chan made some of the most amazing action films in the 70’s and 80’s, films like Project A 1 & 2, the Police Story films, Armour of God 1 & 2, Drunken Master etc.

-He becomes successful in the West, where his films become cult classics.

-Hollywood snaps him up and turns him into a gurning buffoon who can’t make a film without an annoying sidekick or female partner and lots of stupid CGI. Since about 1998, he’s let the Rush Hour films, Shanghai Noon, The Tuxedo and Shanghai Knights out on the general public, all a load of buddy movie tripe.

I suppose we always have his older movies to watch and enjoy whenever we want, but it is a great shame that the amazing man, who’s story is such an amazing one, has turned into a parody of himself. He struggled so hard to make it in his profession and his dream to make it in Hollywood, he’s starred in and directed some amazing films, but now he’s a shadow of his former self. A bit like Eddie Murphy I suppose but replace the kung fu with lots of profanities.

What do you think? Should he just retire and keep some of his dignity, or should he remain in the big Hollywood machine and continue to churn out mediocre tosh for buddy movie-loving goobers?
Thu 21/08/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Calling Jackie Chan fans. What do you make of the great kung fu merchant’s movies over the last few years?

I was just checking the IMDB and noticed his latest film, “The Medallion” is due out soon in the US, so upon reading about it, it sounds like yet more utter tosh (its current rating on there is 4.8/10).

SO, lets look at the facts:

-Jackie Chan made some of the most amazing action films in the 70’s and 80’s, films like Project A 1 & 2, the Police Story films, Armour of God 1 & 2, Drunken Master etc.

-He becomes successful in the West, where his films become cult classics.

-Hollywood snaps him up and turns him into a gurning buffoon who can’t make a film without an annoying sidekick or female partner and lots of stupid CGI. Since about 1998, he’s let the Rush Hour films, Shanghai Noon, The Tuxedo and Shanghai Knights out on the general public, all a load of buddy movie tripe.

I suppose we always have his older movies to watch and enjoy whenever we want, but it is a great shame that the amazing man, who’s story is such an amazing one, has turned into a parody of himself. He struggled so hard to make it in his profession and his dream to make it in Hollywood, he’s starred in and directed some amazing films, but now he’s a shadow of his former self. A bit like Eddie Murphy I suppose but replace the kung fu with lots of profanities.

What do you think? Should he just retire and keep some of his dignity, or should he remain in the big Hollywood machine and continue to churn out mediocre tosh for buddy movie-loving goobers?
Thu 21/08/03 at 20:21
Regular
to be honest, apart from Enter the Dragon, I've only seen Jackie Chan in pretty recent films. Rumble in the Bronx, first strike, and several others made in the nineties I found highly entertaining. he truly is the best stuntman in the world
Thu 21/08/03 at 20:47
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Watch some of his older films, they rule. The Police Story series, Project A 1 & 2 in particular. Armour of God, My Lucky Stars, Operation Condor, Who Am I? and Wheels on Meals are good too.
Thu 21/08/03 at 20:54
Regular
seen who am I, mister nice guy etc. superb fight scenes, seriously dodgy acting. they're more like comedies.

my favourite fight scene is off first strike, where he has a set of ladders he's swinging around his head.

great film that
Thu 21/08/03 at 20:54
Regular
which is the one where there is two of them, seen that too
Thu 21/08/03 at 21:04
Regular
I totally agree with Totoro on this one. I absolutely love his old movies. It really annoys me that he has to be paired up in every US movie. I would much rather he went back to Hong Kong and did his movies. No disrespect to him I love him to bits but America isn't giving him the movies that made Jackie Chan who is today.
Thu 21/08/03 at 21:09
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
It’s just a great shame. I’ve been a fan of his older films for quite a few years now. I read his biography and really felt like I got to know him, his past and his great struggle to be a great martial artist and Hollywood actor. But the guy just doesn’t make ‘em like he used to.

He should indeed go back to Hong Kong, direct more again, have lower budgets, no CGI/wires and absolutely no comedy sidekicks.
Thu 21/08/03 at 21:16
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Woah woah woah there mister, you're ignoring the "Jennifer Love Hewitt's Breasts" factor when you make fun of The Tuxedo there.
Fri 22/08/03 at 00:44
Regular
Totoro wrote:
Wheels on Meals are good too.

Heh, i remember watching this film YEARS ago. Over ten years ago. No idea who jackie chan was back then!
Fri 22/08/03 at 01:12
Regular
jackie chan

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.