GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cron Jobs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/08/03 at 13:00
Regular
What are these?
What can i do with them?
Are they useful in any way?

thanks for your help.
Mon 18/08/03 at 22:21
Regular
"relocated"
If I were weak-willed then I would boot into Linux, see what versions of KDE/Gnome I was using and then sort out my network just so that I could update them. But I am not weak, I am strong. Very, very strong.
Mon 18/08/03 at 22:21
Regular
"bing bang bong"
That's somewhere on my list too, although I'm still prodding KDE atm
Mon 18/08/03 at 22:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
GNOME2 is the way forwards.
Mon 18/08/03 at 22:08
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Don't do it u-k! KDE may look pretty but it still requires several hours fiddling before it achieves anything like usable state, and even then you find yourself looking for Windows applications after about 10 minutes. I'm only using it in an attempt to strongarm myself into learning Linux.
Mon 18/08/03 at 20:31
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
i went to 10kwebhosting its amazing free chat and guestbook scripts as long with shopping carts
great web stats ability to do cron jobs!

SO can i only do linux stuff or can i do stuff with my site?
Mon 18/08/03 at 20:26
Regular
"relocated"
Miserableman wrote:
> I managed to apt-get KDE 3.1,which is lovely.

Uh oh, this is my big problem with Linux. Just when I think that I will never touch it again with a very long stick, stuff like this happens. Today on my course forum I read a comment along the lines of 'KDE 3.1 is great. Keramik theme makes it even prettier than Windoze'. Normally I ignore any sentence with the word 'Windoze' in it, but I then read your post and went and had a look - and it is pretty and it is lovely.

Now my inner geek is locked in mortal battle with my get a life gene.
Mon 18/08/03 at 19:33
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I have Mandrake 9 installed on a P166 that lives under my stairs, which just routes packets all day. Setup was very haphazard, I somehow got it to recognise both network cards and it took me about a fortnight of research to figure out how to get it to share an internet connection and firewall properly, without the wizard being gay and putting loads of redundant chains everywhere. I still don't know how to port-forward using iptables, I never figured out how to set up proftpd properly and I never got cron working, although I do log in occasionally and update it by hand. I eventually got apache running with php, although I never managed to get the gd (line/picture drawing) extensions working. I also got samba working so you could access the filesystem via network neighbourhood from one of the windows machines, but it does open a potentially giant security hole.

I LOVE PAIN

So now I'm trying it all again - this time I have an Athlon XP1800 just to run Debian. So far I've got the x server working after screwing up the install options and I managed to apt-get KDE 3.1, which is lovely. I'm currently trying to install bittorrent from debians unstable distro, something that should take 5 minutes but has been a 6 hour+ struggle so far. Once that's out the way I've got to find out how to set up KDE's default settings so that every user I create has a usable desktop, then get sound working, then set the ftp/web servers *properly*, then setup samba to be a domain server, then re-research iptables rules and set up a port-forwarding NAT server/firewall from scratch. Once that's done, this machine can take over routing duties for the house, but I don't anticipate it working within a couple of months at least :O/

I LOVE PAIN
Mon 18/08/03 at 18:57
Regular
"relocated"
I never had to use Linux at university. But then I studied history.

I'm doing computing stuff with the OU at the moment and I have to use Windows. And now that XP is out I find it much less stressful than Linux. I'm probably going to get flamed for that, but it's true.
Mon 18/08/03 at 18:53
Did you have to use Linux while at Uni?
Mon 18/08/03 at 18:49
Regular
"relocated"
I've got a dual boot machine but I've not used Linux for about three months now. I have to use XP everyday for work/uni stuff and so when I changed to a wireless network I was faced with a hard slog to get it set up, for not very much reward. I just thought 'Linux doesn't impress girls, why bother?'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.