GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Solid Snake was a Rip Off??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty'.
Sat 02/07/05 at 23:26
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
its true. well, not a rip off, just not one of hideo's incredible creations like so many people think. at the beginning of MGS2 it says something along the lines of, "any characters in this game are not real and any similarities are coincidental" or something. this just struck me because i know that solid snake is heavily based on Kurt Russel's character in John Carpenter's "Escape from New York/LA". anyone who has seen either of these film's will know exactly what i mean. the character is called Snake Pliskin, he smokes, he has that growly voice, he even has an eye patch (MGS3). MGS2 nuts will also remember that Snake poses as a Navy Seal called "lieutenent pliskin..." so that raiden doesnt recognise him.

i know this seems like an odd topic, but i just wanted people that didnt know of Snake's origin to become aware of it. Hideo says its a "homage" to John Carpenter's character (he also made Halloween among other things) and i just think more should have been said because Snake's character is, in my opinion, heavily influential to the success of the series. I think the bitter resentment towards raiden by a lot of people is partially due to the fact that he has taken over from snake in MGS2. anyway, any MGS fans should check out the films, because they r still entertaining today, eventhough somewhat dated. oh, and here's proof of this bizarre claim:

[URL] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/ [/URL]
Sun 03/07/05 at 15:47
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh.

Why does it matter... Kojima admitted it was "ripped", but the character in the game is not a carbon copy of the film character. Ah well.
Sun 03/07/05 at 15:42
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
a metal gear film would be sooo awesome though. we can only dream =(
Sun 03/07/05 at 12:37
Regular
"Ow Yer"
i remember watching that movie earlier this year and thought his voice apperance was very similar to snakes! i did think it was a metal gear film but it was just so old that people didnt talk about it anymore
Sun 03/07/05 at 02:51
Regular
"Catch it!"
Wow how strange.
Sat 02/07/05 at 23:30
Regular
"\\"
TaMi-Jr wrote:
> its true. well, not a rip off, just not one of hideo's incredible
> creations like so many people think. at the beginning of MGS2 it says
> something along the lines of, "any characters in this game are
> not real and any similarities are coincidental" or something.

Probably mentions it not being based on FACTUAL people.

And 'Snake Plissken' is not a factual person.
Sat 02/07/05 at 23:26
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
its true. well, not a rip off, just not one of hideo's incredible creations like so many people think. at the beginning of MGS2 it says something along the lines of, "any characters in this game are not real and any similarities are coincidental" or something. this just struck me because i know that solid snake is heavily based on Kurt Russel's character in John Carpenter's "Escape from New York/LA". anyone who has seen either of these film's will know exactly what i mean. the character is called Snake Pliskin, he smokes, he has that growly voice, he even has an eye patch (MGS3). MGS2 nuts will also remember that Snake poses as a Navy Seal called "lieutenent pliskin..." so that raiden doesnt recognise him.

i know this seems like an odd topic, but i just wanted people that didnt know of Snake's origin to become aware of it. Hideo says its a "homage" to John Carpenter's character (he also made Halloween among other things) and i just think more should have been said because Snake's character is, in my opinion, heavily influential to the success of the series. I think the bitter resentment towards raiden by a lot of people is partially due to the fact that he has taken over from snake in MGS2. anyway, any MGS fans should check out the films, because they r still entertaining today, eventhough somewhat dated. oh, and here's proof of this bizarre claim:

[URL] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/ [/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.