GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Solid Snake was a Rip Off??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty'.
Sat 02/07/05 at 23:26
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
its true. well, not a rip off, just not one of hideo's incredible creations like so many people think. at the beginning of MGS2 it says something along the lines of, "any characters in this game are not real and any similarities are coincidental" or something. this just struck me because i know that solid snake is heavily based on Kurt Russel's character in John Carpenter's "Escape from New York/LA". anyone who has seen either of these film's will know exactly what i mean. the character is called Snake Pliskin, he smokes, he has that growly voice, he even has an eye patch (MGS3). MGS2 nuts will also remember that Snake poses as a Navy Seal called "lieutenent pliskin..." so that raiden doesnt recognise him.

i know this seems like an odd topic, but i just wanted people that didnt know of Snake's origin to become aware of it. Hideo says its a "homage" to John Carpenter's character (he also made Halloween among other things) and i just think more should have been said because Snake's character is, in my opinion, heavily influential to the success of the series. I think the bitter resentment towards raiden by a lot of people is partially due to the fact that he has taken over from snake in MGS2. anyway, any MGS fans should check out the films, because they r still entertaining today, eventhough somewhat dated. oh, and here's proof of this bizarre claim:

[URL] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/ [/URL]
Tue 05/07/05 at 10:21
Regular
This is older than the Jesusaurus.
Tue 05/07/05 at 09:30
Regular
You have a point, many apologies. Its a fair topic, just one that was brought up many yonks ago - the disadvantage of being old timers like FFF and myself on these forums is that everything seems to get repeated after a time. Well spotted though.
Mon 04/07/05 at 17:30
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
i think the similarities go far beyond the name. i also didnt see another topic about this anywhere else on the forum. thus, i started one because im interested in the topic. i didnt ask u tell me its old news and i dont see the point of posting something unhelpful like that other than to waste time. oh, and the original > remake, nuff said.
Mon 04/07/05 at 13:46
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Wow, two different people named Snake...
Mon 04/07/05 at 09:24
Regular
Many agreements with the man of three Fs.
Sun 03/07/05 at 22:39
"period drama"
Wow, how very old news.
Go team.
Sun 03/07/05 at 21:54
Regular
"Mozzy"
So did I, the action scenes were very MGS-like I think.
Sun 03/07/05 at 21:29
Regular
"Bicycle"
I thought the new Assault on Precinct 13 was shockingly good.
Sun 03/07/05 at 21:07
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
lol. i've never really thought about that before. but i guess it could have contributed to hideo's thoughts. atleast the man has good taste in movies, carpenter is a living legend among horror directors. any "good" horror film by today's standards is nothing compared to older horror flicks. assault on precinct 13 was a masterpiece, till they remade it with ice T (LMAO). i recommend carpenter's original because its wicked and was made on literally sixth pence. i can't help but draw similarities between that film and MGS too. anti-heros, the concepts of luck and fortune, maybe the reason why this japanese game is based in america is due to kojima's influences.
we'll never know i guess. i just think kojima is a genius and want to understand what goes on inside that little yellow head of his =D. i hated it when people where getting hyped up over MGS2 because of the action or whatever. its a completely story driven game, and u have to realise that in order to get the most out of it. listen to the cutscenes as opposed to moaning about their length etc.
Sun 03/07/05 at 18:22
Regular
"lets go back"
Anyone else notice the similarity of MGS2's hidding-in-the-locker moments to the end of halloween where the main character is inside a wardrobe?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.