GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Overheating CPU"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/08/03 at 16:55
Regular
Is there software available that will tell me if my CPU is overheating?

I hope so, because I don't trust this weather!
Thu 07/08/03 at 16:55
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Is there software available that will tell me if my CPU is overheating?

I hope so, because I don't trust this weather!
Thu 07/08/03 at 17:17
Regular
Pentiums tend to run cooler..
Thu 07/08/03 at 17:27
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Microchips wrote:
> Is there software available that will tell me if my CPU is
> overheating?
>
> I hope so, because I don't trust this weather!

think so, search on download.com "CPU temperature" or similar
Thu 07/08/03 at 17:28
Regular
"bing bang bong"
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
Fri 08/08/03 at 13:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You'd realise when your computer is overheating when it starts rebooting without warning and you get loads of errors in programs.

Fact is though, your CPU temperatures are relative to the air temperature in the room. Typically they may be 20 or so degres above. In my case, they are approximately 3 degrees above room temp.

Temp [ CPU: 42°C Case: 39°C HDD: 49°C ]

Seeing as my computer develops difficulties at 50 degrees, I've got quite a long way to go.

Look at it like this:

Computer manufacturers generally won't ship computers whose CPUs run at over 55c under normal conditions. Normal conditions are around 25c so you're looking at +30c over ambiant temperatures.

A stock clock CPUs is certfied to run fine up to temperatures of 90c in most cases. Therefore, for there to be a problem you're looking at 90-30=60c ambiant temperature for things to becomes a problem! Considering Britain's record is 39c I don't think that's going to happen somehow!

Conclusion; You're being paranoid :-D
Fri 08/08/03 at 13:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
§niper wrote:
> Pentiums tend to run cooler..

Lie.

AMD have been running far, far colder than P4s for over a year now. Your average P4 3.06ghz puts out a sta-honking 85 watts! You'd have to try hard to get anything less than a Palomino (the very hottest AMD you can buy, was the start of the XP era) to run hotter than that!
Fri 08/08/03 at 14:33
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Lol, thanks.
Fri 08/08/03 at 19:41
Depends on what mother board you have, but it sometimes tells you in the bios screen.
Sat 09/08/03 at 22:03
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Yeah, without needing to download software, you might be able to go into your bios and look for a menu something along the lines of "PC Health".
Sun 10/08/03 at 09:52
Uhhu, either your shutdown temp is too low, or your computer is running too hot and shutting down.
If so try giving all the fans a quick clean, if the problem persistes then try putting in a new fan, they are not expencive, about £7 or something.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.