GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Joomla implementation on Freeola"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/05/09 at 22:15
Regular
Hi,

Wasn't quite sure where to post this so here goes (you can always move it).

I am seriously looking to redevelop my websites using Joomla, the Open Source CMS package..

At the moment, I am using XAMPP locally via localhost to write and test my Joomla sites.

Would it be straightforward to implement my future Joomla sites on the Freeola infrastructure?

Are there and Joomla sites hosted on Freeola that I can have a look at?

Thanks,

Neil
Tue 26/05/09 at 22:15
Regular
Hi,

Wasn't quite sure where to post this so here goes (you can always move it).

I am seriously looking to redevelop my websites using Joomla, the Open Source CMS package..

At the moment, I am using XAMPP locally via localhost to write and test my Joomla sites.

Would it be straightforward to implement my future Joomla sites on the Freeola infrastructure?

Are there and Joomla sites hosted on Freeola that I can have a look at?

Thanks,

Neil
Wed 27/05/09 at 10:28
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Joomla works fine with our hosting, whether it's the Free hosting with our MySQL addon or our VIP+ hosting with MySQL.
If you are using you VIP+ with MySQL account all you need to do is upload Joomla to wherever you want it to reside in your htdocs folder, create a MySQL database, and the run the install script inside the install folder using your browser.
You have a look at my great example site :P here if you want. This runs on our VIP hosting.
Wed 27/05/09 at 14:09
Regular
Great.

To clarify - I don't have to upload MySQL on my VIP account do I, as its installed on your servers, and I make use of that.

N.
Wed 27/05/09 at 15:52
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
That is correct. MySQL is running on all our VIP servers so as long as you have the VIP MySQL option enabled on your VIP account then you can install Joomla.
Wed 27/05/09 at 16:17
Regular
Great - thanks.

N.
Wed 27/05/09 at 22:23
Regular
*Stumbles*...

I've activated VIP+ MySQL.

The Joomla site installation wizard requires a MySQL username and password.

Could you please email me the info (or otherwise tell me how to unstumble myself).

Thanks.

N.
Wed 27/05/09 at 23:00
Regular
"How Ironic"
I haven't got a clue what you're on about xD
Wed 27/05/09 at 23:19
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
On the VIP+ setting page where you see the buttons for statistics, rewrite rules etc you should see on for MySQL settings at the bottom.
Click to go to the MySQL page and create a new database, making not of the username and password you use (username has a prefix so be sure to note that too).
Joomla asks for:
host: localhost
the mysql database name: this is the username you created
the mysql username, this is also the mysql username you created the mysql password.

That should be enough to get you going.

You are also asked to specify the ftp details, here you can use you VIP ftp details but the host is 127.0.0.1 or localhost.
Wed 27/05/09 at 23:20
Regular
Great.

Thanks once again :)

N.
Thu 28/05/09 at 00:08
Regular
I had to go around the houses to get my front page up.

At the very end of the Joomla install wizard where it tells you to delete the installation directory, there was a section below that that said an error occurred and configuration.php could not be saved and to copy 'this' code and upload it as configuration.php.

Is there a reason that happened, as at that stage I'm usually ready to go?

EDIT: Further investigation shows that the site root configuration.php is not writable - with 755 set. Therefore I cant configure the site.

UPDATE: I eventually deleted everything and started over. It all appears to be working now.

N.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.