GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Add-ons, Optional?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/02/01 at 20:18
Regular
Consoles are becoming more and more advanced and more add-ons are being, well, added on. I have don't have any problems with this as long as the people buying the consoles don't mind it.

The PS2 has DVD capabilities, the Dreamcast has internet access. I agree that this is definitely the way forward but what about the customers who don't want internet access through their games console? There stuck with it, maybe they can't afford it, maybe they've already got it. They don't have to use it but just it being there has bumped up the price of the console.

Imagine how much cheaper the Dreamcast would have been origanally if it didn't have the online capabilities. True now it's come down to £99.99 it's a hell of a good deal, but more people would have been tempted if the price wasn't so steep. So what can we do to solve this? We can make the add-ons optional!

Think about it. How much better would it be if you could simply plug in the Xboxs hardrive and take it out when you didn't need it? If you have no interest it's pretty pointless having a DVD player, isn't it? So why can't you just by one and plug it in if you decide you would rather watch DVD's than VHS's? Nintendo have kind of done this with the 4 Meg expansion pak but no one seems to have caught on to the idea.

If online multiplayer is the future of gaming, then plug in peripherals are the future of add-ons!

RBS
Mon 19/02/01 at 20:37
Its a balance, if you dont build things into a console as standard far fewer games come out that take advantage of the device/whatever youve put in.

If Dreamcast didnt have a modem as standard then we probably wouldnt be seeing quality online games like Quake III and Phantasy Star Online.

The real question is if console manufacturers should add on hardware thats not needed for Gaming, i.e. The PS2s DVD player!
Mon 19/02/01 at 20:18
Regular
"You've upset me"
Consoles are becoming more and more advanced and more add-ons are being, well, added on. I have don't have any problems with this as long as the people buying the consoles don't mind it.

The PS2 has DVD capabilities, the Dreamcast has internet access. I agree that this is definitely the way forward but what about the customers who don't want internet access through their games console? There stuck with it, maybe they can't afford it, maybe they've already got it. They don't have to use it but just it being there has bumped up the price of the console.

Imagine how much cheaper the Dreamcast would have been origanally if it didn't have the online capabilities. True now it's come down to £99.99 it's a hell of a good deal, but more people would have been tempted if the price wasn't so steep. So what can we do to solve this? We can make the add-ons optional!

Think about it. How much better would it be if you could simply plug in the Xboxs hardrive and take it out when you didn't need it? If you have no interest it's pretty pointless having a DVD player, isn't it? So why can't you just by one and plug it in if you decide you would rather watch DVD's than VHS's? Nintendo have kind of done this with the 4 Meg expansion pak but no one seems to have caught on to the idea.

If online multiplayer is the future of gaming, then plug in peripherals are the future of add-ons!

RBS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.