GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Add-ons, Optional?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/02/01 at 20:18
Regular
Consoles are becoming more and more advanced and more add-ons are being, well, added on. I have don't have any problems with this as long as the people buying the consoles don't mind it.

The PS2 has DVD capabilities, the Dreamcast has internet access. I agree that this is definitely the way forward but what about the customers who don't want internet access through their games console? There stuck with it, maybe they can't afford it, maybe they've already got it. They don't have to use it but just it being there has bumped up the price of the console.

Imagine how much cheaper the Dreamcast would have been origanally if it didn't have the online capabilities. True now it's come down to £99.99 it's a hell of a good deal, but more people would have been tempted if the price wasn't so steep. So what can we do to solve this? We can make the add-ons optional!

Think about it. How much better would it be if you could simply plug in the Xboxs hardrive and take it out when you didn't need it? If you have no interest it's pretty pointless having a DVD player, isn't it? So why can't you just by one and plug it in if you decide you would rather watch DVD's than VHS's? Nintendo have kind of done this with the 4 Meg expansion pak but no one seems to have caught on to the idea.

If online multiplayer is the future of gaming, then plug in peripherals are the future of add-ons!

RBS
Wed 21/02/01 at 21:07
Firstly I may have the same view as Microsoft, but I dont support them!

If the playstation2 was £70 cheaper, it would have sold more units(Provided they were available).

I said earlier

"Its a balance, if you dont build things into a console as standard far fewer games come out that take advantage of the device/whatever youve put in."

Lightgun games show this phenomenon clearly... there are alot fewer lightgun games compared to those that use a controller! The same can be said of games that take advantage of the N64 expansion pack!

Add ons work, but only if theyre kept cheap enough for people to afford! Sony should be aware of this if they intend to produce add ons for the PS2. So far they seem to be heading in the right direction as apparently the USB port on the PS2 allows you to use a cheap PC USB Keyboard and Mouse to play Unreal Tournament on your PS2.

Wed 21/02/01 at 20:19
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The best letter i read in a mag ever was this:

I have a Mega Drive. Say I was to get the Mega CD- it can now play CDs. Say i get the 32X, it can now play games in 32bits. So, if it can play 32bit CD games, it is now a saturn!

Nice idea hey!

SonicRav
Tue 20/02/01 at 11:53
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I know, I think addon's are a waste of time too, I think they should all be inside the console, but then again if they released something later on ouy'd be screwed!

Rastabilly...I mean uh----oops
Tue 20/02/01 at 07:56
Regular
"not dead"
Armatige Shanks wrote:

> with everybody repeating what they had said before,

I bet if you read half of my posts my opinion swings wildly from one side to the other over the different topics.

For some reason I always manage to convince myself that blue is black, but blue IS the new black.

So add-ons are the future then?

How about a Mega-CD or a 32x for you?
Tue 20/02/01 at 00:09
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
SonicRav wrote:
> Yes, but one of the DC's selling points was free (not completely
> true) access to the net. In america they only advertised the online
> game aspect when they came out (maybe we should have done the same
> too!)

Did you have to pay a monthly charge... or just call time?...

If it was line rental, then the wouldnt have to pay, so for them at least it would have been completly free...
Tue 20/02/01 at 00:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Yes, but one of the DC's selling points was free (not completely true) access to the net. In america they only advertised the online game aspect when they came out (maybe we should have done the same too!)

SonicRav
Mon 19/02/01 at 23:44
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Topics seem to do that here... they jump around under loads of different names, all discussing the same thing, with everybody repeating what they had said before, then after a while everyone becomes sick of the whole thing and starts again with something new...

mmm... kinda like the gaming world?!?!
Mon 19/02/01 at 23:27
"possibly impossible"
Is it just me or has this topic been done to death recently. I'd swear I've seen virtually the same thing written in slighty different ways at least 4 times in the last month.

Perhaps it's just me, if so ignore me.
Mon 19/02/01 at 23:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Didnt the Dreamcast shoip with a 33.6 Modem?...

You can buy 56K modems for less than 25 two years ago... I dont think that really affected the price of the box?

New Jimmy wrote:
The real question is if console
> manufacturers should add on hardware thats not needed for Gaming,
> i.e. The PS2s DVD player!

Taking thje Microsoft point ofView huh? :)

I reckon over the next year or so, once Sony have released a an optional Hard Drive, Keyboard'n'mouse, then they'll start making a lot of games that eith need the addons to run... or run like a dog without them...

This means the'll force people who want to keep playing into buying further hardware.

And since they will be the only produces of certified kit (Sony HD, etc) then they can charge as much as they like for it...

I'll predict that a Sony harddrive costs 3 times as much as its PC equivelent, despite being pretty much the same piece of kit?
Mon 19/02/01 at 21:50
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The thing is, having internet access on the Dreamcast is a good thing and optional as well I mean just because people buy a Dreamcast doesn't mean that they HAVE to go on-line and play against Ms Miyamoto and the pink patrol! It is there purely to add extra fun to the games and the browse the web whilst doing so!

The chances are that if people can afford a Dreamcast they can afford to spend and hour or so on a Saturday on the Dreamarena, having said that, the Dreamcast being the price it is anyone could be buying one,...What Value!!!!

But back to the topic, I don't think that the Non-gaming PS2 DVD idea is bad either, I think that in the not too distant furute games and movies will be interacting, and if they can do this on the PS2 with say tomb raider and The Matrix (when it comes out) then in turn all of these 'add-ons' will be beneficial to the Future of Gaming...Gaming Can't Lose!!!

...at least that is how I see it!

The Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.