GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have you ever created a god?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/07/03 at 00:39
Regular
I know I'm in danger of abstracting myself out of the SR universe by posing such a question, but have you ever created a god? - i.e. a subjective super-idol which aids and inspires you to accomplish things in everyday life which you normally might struggle to achieve.
Sounds cuckoo-land I know, but it's not as ridiculous as it may seem. (Well at least I don't think it is :S)

---I've got one foot in the land of tomfoolery here, but I'll carry on.---

Everybody needs an internal helping hand at some stage during life's escapade, and the creation of a chimerical god in the mind's-eye which can be invoked in times of need for whatever purpose is an idea worth considering.

For instance: say you write music, but for whatever reason you've caught a particularly bad case of the Gary Barlows - (i.e. you've dried up)..... then why not create a personal god with all the necessary and subtle attributes of a musical maestro, and then use it, through the practice of visualisation, invocation and prayer, as an "ideal" to inspire your imagination and give your creative wagon a helping push.

Fabricating a god out of thin air is easier than you might think: all you in effect need is a name, but the conception of this name is very important, as it must encapsulate totally and perfectly all the characteristics and qualities of your god's clear purpose. A little time spent mapping-out its quintessential credentials and *abracadabra* - it lives.
There are, of course, loads of ready-made gods out there which you could use - Greek gods are especially abundant in their diversity - but I think it's more interesting and productive to create one of your own.
You'd be surprised just how many artists throughout the centuries who have adopted this concept of a "user-friendly god" in order to kickstart inspiration or take inventiveness to higher, more intense levels.

All that is required is a flurry of mental gymnastics, an imaginative leap of faith and you're there: in the bosom of your personal genie of perfection, able to invoke its invisible superhuman-ness and use its limitless powers to aid your "will" in a kind of non-religious self-hypnotic flight of fancy. And furthermore, the longer you "keep the faith" with your phantom deity, the more quality juice you will be able to drain from its puddings.

Yes it's self-delusion, but there's nothing wrong with "using your illusion" as a creative/productive device - just as long as you keep in check any Messianic delusions of grandeur which may ensue.....

So, using self-created gods as a trampoline for the imagination: the secret of genius, or the feather that tips the crackpot into the bottomless wishing well?

Discuss.
Thu 31/07/03 at 16:32
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Does anyone else get paranoid when they reply to a thread and no-one else does afterwards?

*watches tumbleweed*
Thu 31/07/03 at 12:20
Regular
"Twenty quid."
My god is myself. Sounds a bit big headed but let me explain ...

I have muscular dystrophy - a muscle wasting disease - which isn't going to kill me but has so far put me in a wheelchair and taken away the ability to do a lot of things for myself (fortunately, I can still wipe my own ass!). People often say to me "you cope well" and they don't mean physically but mentally, i.e. I don't get depressed about it and moan, and I always reply "Well, I've grown up with it - it's not like I was atheletic one day and was suddenly struck down into wheelchair the next".

But, the truth is I *do* get depressed - it's hard not to. Even when you're with your closest mates and you're all having a laugh and a drink and a smoke and it seems you're as happy as you can be it's hard to completely forget. The thing that keeps me going is the thought of how I'd be if I was ever cured - if I could stand up on my own, walk down the street do anything physical *on my own*.

So, I agree: having a "god" of some kind is very beneficial. It could be your father, a friend you admire, someone fictional or, like me, a vision of yourself you're striving to be. Try it - it might just help.

Thanks for listening.
Thu 31/07/03 at 11:41
Regular
Nice post.

I kind of understand what you are saying but I don't think i've ever created my own "god" as such. If I want to acheive something - I push myself to do it. I push until I acheive it. So I suppose I could consider my own concious as my "god".

Or on the other hand our good friend Nomad Soul here is schitzophrenic and hearing voices in his head ;).
Thu 31/07/03 at 01:34
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
"What would Brian Boitano do if he was here right now?"

Seriously though I don't create a god but I do however think of how someone else might tackle a problem if I'm stuck or whatever. So I guess I do idle people from time to time to help me out, I think it's better to be able to look up to someone else for inspiration rather than creating your own.
Thu 31/07/03 at 00:39
Regular
I know I'm in danger of abstracting myself out of the SR universe by posing such a question, but have you ever created a god? - i.e. a subjective super-idol which aids and inspires you to accomplish things in everyday life which you normally might struggle to achieve.
Sounds cuckoo-land I know, but it's not as ridiculous as it may seem. (Well at least I don't think it is :S)

---I've got one foot in the land of tomfoolery here, but I'll carry on.---

Everybody needs an internal helping hand at some stage during life's escapade, and the creation of a chimerical god in the mind's-eye which can be invoked in times of need for whatever purpose is an idea worth considering.

For instance: say you write music, but for whatever reason you've caught a particularly bad case of the Gary Barlows - (i.e. you've dried up)..... then why not create a personal god with all the necessary and subtle attributes of a musical maestro, and then use it, through the practice of visualisation, invocation and prayer, as an "ideal" to inspire your imagination and give your creative wagon a helping push.

Fabricating a god out of thin air is easier than you might think: all you in effect need is a name, but the conception of this name is very important, as it must encapsulate totally and perfectly all the characteristics and qualities of your god's clear purpose. A little time spent mapping-out its quintessential credentials and *abracadabra* - it lives.
There are, of course, loads of ready-made gods out there which you could use - Greek gods are especially abundant in their diversity - but I think it's more interesting and productive to create one of your own.
You'd be surprised just how many artists throughout the centuries who have adopted this concept of a "user-friendly god" in order to kickstart inspiration or take inventiveness to higher, more intense levels.

All that is required is a flurry of mental gymnastics, an imaginative leap of faith and you're there: in the bosom of your personal genie of perfection, able to invoke its invisible superhuman-ness and use its limitless powers to aid your "will" in a kind of non-religious self-hypnotic flight of fancy. And furthermore, the longer you "keep the faith" with your phantom deity, the more quality juice you will be able to drain from its puddings.

Yes it's self-delusion, but there's nothing wrong with "using your illusion" as a creative/productive device - just as long as you keep in check any Messianic delusions of grandeur which may ensue.....

So, using self-created gods as a trampoline for the imagination: the secret of genius, or the feather that tips the crackpot into the bottomless wishing well?

Discuss.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.