GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best players of all time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/07/03 at 22:55
Regular
I'm just wandering who everyone's top 10 players of all time are. Mine have to be.

1) Maradona. (The rotten cheat may have scored the "hand of God", but he was simply the best.)
2) Pelé. Just look at his goalscoring record.
3) Cruyff. An amazing man, amazing skill, amazing technique, amazing player. 3 time European footballer of the year award.
4) Di Stefano. The amazing Argentine responsible for Real Madrid winning those five European cups in a row in the 50's.
5) Platini. The best French player ever. Only man to have ever won the European footballer of the year award three times in a row.
6) Puskas. The man responsible for the Hungarian dominance of the 1950's, he scored 83 goals in 84 games for his country. Amazing.
7) Beckenbauer. Yes, he may be German, but he is the man who practically invented the sweeper role and probably the best defender ever.
8) Dixie Dean. He may be an Evertonian, but his goalscoring record says enough. He holds the record for most goals in a season in England, 60, and he scored 18 times in 16 games for England.
9) Eusebio. The top scorer of the 1966 world cup, this man was amazing. Played for Portugal, even though he was from Mozambique.
10) Zico. Another amazing Brazilian. Amazing on the ball and a lethal shot.
Tue 29/07/03 at 21:18
Regular
Lol, Sheringham. What about ooh, aah, Cantona.
Mon 28/07/03 at 23:58
Regular
"Colourless"
Zam wrote:
> Teddy Sheringham

lmao
Sun 27/07/03 at 22:34
Regular
"It's been a while.."
Teddy Sheringham
Sun 27/07/03 at 20:12
Regular
"Colourless"
Gianfranco Zola
Sat 26/07/03 at 07:43
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I suppose there's so much diffferent opinion because they played in better eras- I think it would be safe to say that Pele had the best career, and was a great goalscorer, but Maradona was a ver skilful player whose career took downward spirals regularly by 1991.
Fri 25/07/03 at 18:44
Regular
"Baros!!!"
I'd rate Pele higher than Maradonna.
Fri 25/07/03 at 17:46
Regular
If you judge it by who was the best at their peak, it was easily Maradona, but clearly Pelé has the best career. However, when people ask me who was the best player of all time, I think of who was the greatest talent, and that's maradona. Andy Cole has had a great career, but is he a good player? Ha ha, no.
Fri 25/07/03 at 16:55
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
What you're forgetting is that:

1- Fontaine was France's only real forward in 1958: The rest were really playmakers.
2- When Muller played, more teams took part in the world cups.

But I can see where you're right: Pele was playing ion the Brazilian league, which wasn't very good when there was a junta in charge in Brazil. And it's taken a downward spiral in the past 10 years as well. However, pele played on for around 20 years. Maradona's career took a downward spiral after 14. And he also took a lot of drugs, and kept trying to revive his career. Although I'm saying this, he was fantastic in his prime.

You could say both were equal in some ways- breaking records, playing in World Cup finals and, strangely enough, both making their first-team debuts at 16.
Fri 25/07/03 at 15:27
Regular
But Pelé was always playing against crap teams. He played nearly all his career at Santos, since the government wouldn't let him go to any of Europe's big teams, where he wouldn't have done so well, unlike Maradona, who thrived against the best. (And don't try saying it was hard in the Brazilian league, he had it easy).
Remember that Pelé surrounded by good players when he played for Brazil, players like Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostao, Rivelino and Carlos Alberto. Most of these played better, and gave him the supply he needed.
Maradona, though, carried the Argentina team to the 1986 world cup, and whenever he moved from one club to to another, the one he just left would get relegated, the one he just joined would win their championship.
Other proof that Pelé wasn't so amazing against good teams was that he played in more world cups than almost anyone, but only scored 12 in total, behind Fontaine and Muller, and on par with Ronaldo.
Thu 24/07/03 at 09:41
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Lugwig wrote:
> Maradona was without doubt the best player of all time, with
> Pelé a close second. Yes, Maradona might be a cheating druggy,
> but he was a footballing genius. Remember his other goal against
> England?

And remember that his career went fuzzy after 11 years, yet Pelé played well for 20?

Also, Pelé is the second-highest goalscorer ever. And he won 3 World Cups. Got his thousandth goal in his 967th game. These stats are mostly useless in comparrison seeing that Maradona was an attacking midfielder, but they demonstrate Pelé's immense skill.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.