GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Get ready to Launch"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/10/06 at 15:02
"possibly impossible"
Console Launches. I’ve seen enough of them in my life. I first became aware of the launch phenomenon when the Megadrive was launched and all those strange Sega adverts came on TV. Our local news programme showed people queuing for ages and the games magazines showed all the weird and wacky stuff going on in Japan.

The last generation launches didn’t overly excite me though. Yes, I was excited about getting the PS2 and the Gamecube, but I only got the latter on launch day (having a day off from work) as the PS2 was too expensive at the time. The Xbox was a similar story. But their launches, while being newsworthy, just didn’t seem as impressive.

I remember people going mad over the SNES, the surprise of seeing the Saturn without hearing much about it and the media publicity fair that was the launch of the Playstation. The Xbox 360 launch was ok, but nothing major, they could have tried harder, but I have great hopes for the launch of the Wii and PS3.

As for my personal experience, I was there in the shop on both the Playstation and the Dreamcast launch day, excitingly waiting for my consoles. Both were a big hit for me and I must have played them to death in the first week of getting them. The Gamecube was the same. I even took time to open the box and savour the feeling of looking at my brand new shiny console (even if it did look like it was from Fisher Price). More recently, getting both the DS (couple of weeks before launch) and the PSP was a great experience, each one being savoured with the same excitement at opening the box and turning it on for the first time.

So, assuming I’m not in India at the time, I’ll be there to collect my Wii, even if it does mean queuing in the cold. I just love that feeling of getting a new console and never lost the excitement of pressing the on button for the first time.
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:02
"possibly impossible"
Console Launches. I’ve seen enough of them in my life. I first became aware of the launch phenomenon when the Megadrive was launched and all those strange Sega adverts came on TV. Our local news programme showed people queuing for ages and the games magazines showed all the weird and wacky stuff going on in Japan.

The last generation launches didn’t overly excite me though. Yes, I was excited about getting the PS2 and the Gamecube, but I only got the latter on launch day (having a day off from work) as the PS2 was too expensive at the time. The Xbox was a similar story. But their launches, while being newsworthy, just didn’t seem as impressive.

I remember people going mad over the SNES, the surprise of seeing the Saturn without hearing much about it and the media publicity fair that was the launch of the Playstation. The Xbox 360 launch was ok, but nothing major, they could have tried harder, but I have great hopes for the launch of the Wii and PS3.

As for my personal experience, I was there in the shop on both the Playstation and the Dreamcast launch day, excitingly waiting for my consoles. Both were a big hit for me and I must have played them to death in the first week of getting them. The Gamecube was the same. I even took time to open the box and savour the feeling of looking at my brand new shiny console (even if it did look like it was from Fisher Price). More recently, getting both the DS (couple of weeks before launch) and the PSP was a great experience, each one being savoured with the same excitement at opening the box and turning it on for the first time.

So, assuming I’m not in India at the time, I’ll be there to collect my Wii, even if it does mean queuing in the cold. I just love that feeling of getting a new console and never lost the excitement of pressing the on button for the first time.
Wed 18/10/06 at 16:44
Regular
:D This is my first console at launch experience. It feels great knowing how long a life my console shall have.
Tue 24/10/06 at 11:03
Regular
"Mooching around"
I'm looking forward to PS9 in 2078. Anyone else seen that ad?
PS9
Tue 24/10/06 at 14:01
"possibly impossible"
Hadn't seen that before. Nice.

But where do you stick the PS1 & PS2 discs for backward compatibility? Ouch!
Tue 24/10/06 at 14:06
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I usually never get a console at launch (except the PS2 though that was a christmas gift from my gran. Oh it was torture knowing it was in the closet for 2 months before i could open it) so all the launch fuss doesn't really bother me. I usually wait a year at least, hope the price has dropped a bit and look at how many good RPG franchises it's got on it.
Tue 24/10/06 at 14:47
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> I usually never get a console at launch (except the PS2 though
> that was a christmas gift from my gran. Oh it was torture
> knowing it was in the closet for 2 months before i could open
> it) so all the launch fuss doesn't really bother me. I usually
> wait a year at least, hope the price has dropped a bit and look
> at how many good RPG franchises it's got on it.

You need to find yourself a new genre of videogame. The latest RPGs are about as innovative as wet socks.
Tue 24/10/06 at 14:59
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yet are more fun to play than any other genre so i'll stick with them, thanks.
Tue 24/10/06 at 15:10
Regular
"Mooching around"
Imagine and RPG racer... now that I'd like to play :D
Tue 24/10/06 at 15:38
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> Yet are more fun to play than any other genre so i'll stick with
> them, thanks.

You wish. :D
Tue 24/10/06 at 22:26
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Don't need to wish, already a reality :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.