GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box v GameCube v PS2"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/02/01 at 18:47
Regular
GameCube

+Nintendo games
+Excellent graphics
+Easy development
+Supposedly very cheap when it comes out
+choice between DVD/just games
+Nintendo finaly taking it seriously
+PS best games as well
-Could be overshadowed by the lesser PS2

PS2

+Good graphics
+PSX influence/backwards compatible
+DVD
-Hell to develop for
-slower than the rest
-endless sequels
-Very expensive

X-Box

+Excellent grpahics
+Supposedly Dreamcast games (Sega are making gams for GameCube as well! HA!)
+Microsofts money
-Long way off
-Slower than modern day PC's (So are the others, but this just plays the same games)
-No originality from Microsoft games (AOE3 etc)
?Microsoft have never made a console before?

I think GameCube is the best due to good graphics, fantastic games and a lot of Nintendo magic. PS2 lacks that touch that all Nintendo games have. X-Box. Just upgrade your PC.

Sat 19/05/01 at 19:37
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Yeah. We should stick to Game Cube, not wonder down that dark dank ally where PS2 and X-Box live.
Sat 19/05/01 at 18:35
Regular
Do what we do and ignor him.

If you want a proper PS2 opinion, read what Ant said.
Sat 19/05/01 at 17:22
Regular
"gsybe you!"
This 'Residentevilfan' bloke is annoying me.

That new list he made of Vultures old one (or my old one) is completely biased, and has no basic evidence - He made points about hw good the Memory Card was - okay, but he could not make a comparison, BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE GAMECUBE.
Fri 18/05/01 at 14:03
Regular
Your missing something here, the best games at the moment for the PS2 aren't sequels. There are sequels coming but if the companies do it properly the games wil be excellent, mgs2 for instence. You've also got to remember that most 'hardcore' gamers do not buy many sequals, but casual games do. And it is these casual sequel FIFA buying gamers that have turned the industry into the massive business that it is today, hence the reason for so many sequels!!
Fri 18/05/01 at 10:11
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Keeping a name is one thing, keeping the same game is another entirely.

The transition from any of the Mario games on the SNES, to the N64 version, does not in my view, count as a sequel. Likewise with the 3D transformation of Zelda to produce OOT. Majora's Mask however, I would count as sequel.

The thing with the PS games, is that they don't seem to do anything new - hence the users knows what they're getting. Exactly what they're getting, in fact.

There you have it, my view on why Nintendo's machines aren't as bad as Sony for sequels. yet.
Fri 18/05/01 at 08:30
Regular
"not dead"
The sequels debate. Doomed to run forever.

A small band of biased Nintendo gamers will say that Playstation is crap, as it only has sequels, so the PS fans will say that Nintendo has sequels in DK, Mario and Zelda. The Ninties will then reply with "But that's different...."

What Nintendo are trying to promote, is their characters. They're popular, and they'd be stupid not to entice potential customers in with what they know. Super Smash Brothers: Melee features a host of Nintendos top franchises, so is bound to be a game that anyone that has owned a nintendo console will at least be slightly interested in. The return of Metroid could bring back fans from the SNES era, as SNES Metroid was amongst the best titles available for the system.

Sony did exactly the same thing with the launch of the PS2. Make sure that the names people know would be available for it. So have a Tekken game, a Ridge Racer game, talk of the next GT game and MGS2. They would be foolish not to. People go by what they know.

The original titles are there on both consoles too, but you wouldn't have heard anyone saying "I'm going to buy a PS2 for ZOE" a year ago, as people knew relatively nothing of this game. They also knew next to nothing about MGS2 a year ago, but the fact that it is a Metal Gear Solid game creates interest, and then sales.

After seeing the footage, and gathering information, I'm now intersted in "Pikmin", but it's not going to be the game that gets the attention of the masses, because no one knows much about it. It's just a name, whereas 'Zelda' is a franchise. If you say Zelda, people will have a rough idea of what they will be getting. Maybe in 5 years time people will say "I want this new Nintendo console (I call it the GAMEPYRAMID) because the latest Pikmin game will come out on it, or "I want a PS3, as there's going to be a new 'Daxter' game!"

Don't knock a console because of it's sequels, they're necessary. There are plenty of original games out there too, and it's this mix that helps keep gaming fresh. Something old, something new!
Thu 17/05/01 at 22:49
Regular
"I like cheese"
I'd go for the PS2, looking at the superb list of releases.

Also, ENDLESS SEQUELS???? I am SICK of people using this argument!! Every console has sequels, and if you look at the list of PS2 games scheduled for release, you will see that there at not many.

Also, it's not 'hell' to develop for, they just need to get used to it. Konami certainly have done.

And how do you mean 'slower than the rest'?? ZOE is the fastest game I've ever played!!

And of couse, the PS holds the most awesome game ever, MGS2.

Anyway, it's gonna be very close. Why argue about it?? Can't we all marvel over the wonder of MGS2, the new GC screenshots and the X-Box's power??

It's all down to taste in games. I like the PS2 games, you like the GC games etc.

I get the feeling the DC is beginning to drop out though.....
Thu 17/05/01 at 19:08
Regular
"Whatever!"
Ive only spent about half an hour looking through screenshots of forthcoming GC games and already I have decided to purchase one. Although it may seem Im going on looks alone, this is not the case. I know that Nintendo make some of the best games ever and in 128 bit form they are going to be the ultimate in video gaming entertainment!!
Thu 17/05/01 at 18:57
Regular
A certain newbie here has a lot to learn about the games industry...
Thu 17/05/01 at 17:01
Regular
"Back For Good"
PS2 ENDLESS SEQUELS??,MARIO,LUIGI,DONKEY KONG,ZELDA have been around since the NES in the 80's

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.