GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSX is over-rated!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/02/01 at 15:50
Regular
Why do people always say in forums that, "PS2 games do not live up to the hype... except SSX." It certainly does not! Let me offer the alternative 1080 Snowboarding as a comparrison.

The problem... the snow. Yes- the basis of the game. In 1080, the sound of the snow as u go over it let's u know whether u are right on the edge of your board, or glidiing on top of it. The rumble pack give u the impression that you are actually about to lose grip. In SSX, the snow is like a white carpet- there for decoration. The sound of the snow is far from realistic, and the rumble is... well hmmmmm...

Despite all it's power, the PS2 has not lived up to a game that's 3 years old... the reaso is that the power is being used in the wrong way. Clearly, the people making 1080 were aiming for realist snow, while in SSX snow was just a decoration to glide on. In fact the people who made 1080 even made Waverace, who I was reminded while reading Edge actually made the most realistice water effects ever.

Power is nothing. It's what u do with it that counts...

SonicRav
Wed 14/02/01 at 15:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Why do people always say in forums that, "PS2 games do not live up to the hype... except SSX." It certainly does not! Let me offer the alternative 1080 Snowboarding as a comparrison.

The problem... the snow. Yes- the basis of the game. In 1080, the sound of the snow as u go over it let's u know whether u are right on the edge of your board, or glidiing on top of it. The rumble pack give u the impression that you are actually about to lose grip. In SSX, the snow is like a white carpet- there for decoration. The sound of the snow is far from realistic, and the rumble is... well hmmmmm...

Despite all it's power, the PS2 has not lived up to a game that's 3 years old... the reaso is that the power is being used in the wrong way. Clearly, the people making 1080 were aiming for realist snow, while in SSX snow was just a decoration to glide on. In fact the people who made 1080 even made Waverace, who I was reminded while reading Edge actually made the most realistice water effects ever.

Power is nothing. It's what u do with it that counts...

SonicRav
Wed 14/02/01 at 16:31
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Who cares what the snow feels like? When people say they think SSX is the greatest PS2 game i'm pretty sure they are concentrating on how the game plays, rather than the sound the snow makes when you race over it.
Wed 14/02/01 at 18:45
Regular
Sonicrav, you have either never played SSX or you have no idea what real snow sounds like or you haven`t played the game.
As you turn the sound changes. When you go on different terrain the sound changes. Thuds and collisions cause vibrations as well as landings from jumps. Who wants a game where the controller vibrates the whole time for no real reason?
It beats 1080 with no problems at all, though of course you are entitled to your opinion however flawed it maybe.
Wed 14/02/01 at 18:53
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I do not doubt it is a great game... but still, I am claerly fighting a losing battle... :-(

But, what about Wave race... I have yet to see water effects anywhere near as good as those in any game on any platform.

SonicRav
Wed 14/02/01 at 18:53
I take it you have never played SSX because if you have you would agree with everyone that it is one of the best snowboarding games and is very addictive *Runs to PS2* "Must play SSX, oh god please load up quickly"
Thu 15/02/01 at 19:30
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Wave Race is one of my fave games of all time. The way you jump off the crest of the waves, and then land agin with that sweet 'swish' sound, its just great. I can't wait for the sequal.
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:01
Maybe, just maybe and not definitely, but maybe all the other games aren't as good as SSX, or maybe 1080 was better. Either way, no game will ever achieve the kind of majestic gameplay as NiGHTS. Has anyone got Nights?
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:03
Anyway - power is nothing without control.

But hey you have controllers!

(that err..made...errrrr alot of sense...errrr (I should win a game now :) ) )

Anyway, at least the PS2 has a snowboarding game to be proud of! Dreamcast has nothing :(
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:04
Regular
I thought that the Nights game didn`t have tricks and grabs up to the standard of SSX.
Also, I think that Mark Foster is a better swimmer than Beckam is a footballer. I don`t think its a good idea to compare two totally different games.
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
Dan2K1 wrote:
> Anyway - power is nothing without control.

But hey you have
> controllers!

(that err..made...errrrr alot of sense...errrr (I
> should win a game now :) ) )

Anyway, at least the PS2 has a
> snowboarding game to be proud of! Dreamcast has nothing :(

What, no snowboarding games??

Get Royal Rumble, you could imagine it was a snowboarding game. That's how poor it is. Not having a go at the DC at all, but I think Sega should ask THQ to make one more WWF game for Dreamcast-a good one!!
It should be called WWF: Summerslam. I love that name.

{:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.