GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Screenshots."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/02/01 at 18:54
Regular
If anyone looked closely at the Nintendo news this week you may have noticed that Robocop has been confirmed for the GC, I was intrigued and clicked on the link and saw the first screen shoots of a game that has been in development since 1998, these screenshots were amazing..they were simply the best I have ever seen of an in game shoot.

Many of the pictures you see nowadays in magazines are of the video kind are part of the promo and not within the actual game. These Robocop pictures were stunning pictures of ingame action...

...but as graphics get better and better, as resolution gets better and better, as vector based pixels get smaller and smaller what is the outcome for the rest of the game??

I dont want to have a game with just '''the best graphics'''

I want a game with the best gameplay, the best ideas and the most original format, but then nearly all formats have been tested in games, I suppose what hasn't been done is RPG/First Person/Shooter??
(But then again what kind of a game would that be?)

I dont like the screenshots in magazines, they give you something to look at, they give you something to talk about but they dont give the reader the right information!

Take Nintendo Official Magazine for instance:

'The images show that Conkers Bad Fur Day looks set to be one of the biggest games of the year'

How the hell can this be told from screenshots when I know for definate that NOM haven't tested a copy!?!

People are talking about MGS2 and how amazing it is going to be? What are they going on? Screenshots and a little promo movie.

People should need to play the game to be excited.

Im not going to stop looking at screenshots but next time you look at the photos in a magazine just think about where they have come from.

Thanks
er-no
Fri 16/02/01 at 12:11
Regular
"You've upset me"
er-no don't bother reading NOM it's a pile of crap.

Go for an unofficial one as they are more likely to not give all of Nintendos games 95%

I find 64Magazine is the best
Fri 16/02/01 at 11:39
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Ask yourself this - if a magazine page had no screenshots and just a huge bulk of text, would you give it a second glance? i think not - i'm a designer, I know what i'm talking about.
Fri 16/02/01 at 08:11
Regular
"not dead"
I guess screen shots are like little teasers.

In the same way you, you'd be saying you can't tell how good a film would be from a few pictures, and you're right, but it doesn't stop me getting excited every time I see new pictures of Star Wars Episode 2.

Ewan McGregor has grown a big beard! Starting to look like the Obi Wan we know from A New Hope.
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:44
Regular
Ahh, I`m glad WM has won more than that. He deserves it. I`ll ask him at some point why he switched from Babylonian to WM. Either of them work well though.
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:38
Screenshots are enough to get excited about, theres nothing wrong with anticipating the launch of MGS2 or Conkers Bad Fur Day. However your also right when you say people should bear in mind whether the reviewers have played the finished version of the game, ultimately its gameplay that matters.

But theres no harm in getting excited!
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:37
Regular
Wookiee was originally called Babylonian... and he definyetliy won a game under that name.

Oh, and thanks for the comment... :D
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:32
Regular
Yeah, but one day was a review by damospud, and the other from the FF9 review at IGN.
I don`t think it counts. If you want to know though, I suggest you ask meka_dragon or Grix to write one of their amazing posts two days running and see if they get it both days. Also, I think Wookiee Monster writes great posts most of the time, and he`s helped me and many others with problems though he has only won once... (I think)
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:31
Regular
I reckon twice in a week is much more likely...

Come oooonnnn Ali...
Thu 15/02/01 at 22:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I think it's possible to win two days in a row. Sniper did, in fact. But only temporarily.
Thu 15/02/01 at 18:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
well what about this decision!
I wanna ask ali about it? Is it possible to win 2 days in a row, do they take into account the person had just won?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.