GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Screenshots."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/02/01 at 18:54
Regular
If anyone looked closely at the Nintendo news this week you may have noticed that Robocop has been confirmed for the GC, I was intrigued and clicked on the link and saw the first screen shoots of a game that has been in development since 1998, these screenshots were amazing..they were simply the best I have ever seen of an in game shoot.

Many of the pictures you see nowadays in magazines are of the video kind are part of the promo and not within the actual game. These Robocop pictures were stunning pictures of ingame action...

...but as graphics get better and better, as resolution gets better and better, as vector based pixels get smaller and smaller what is the outcome for the rest of the game??

I dont want to have a game with just '''the best graphics'''

I want a game with the best gameplay, the best ideas and the most original format, but then nearly all formats have been tested in games, I suppose what hasn't been done is RPG/First Person/Shooter??
(But then again what kind of a game would that be?)

I dont like the screenshots in magazines, they give you something to look at, they give you something to talk about but they dont give the reader the right information!

Take Nintendo Official Magazine for instance:

'The images show that Conkers Bad Fur Day looks set to be one of the biggest games of the year'

How the hell can this be told from screenshots when I know for definate that NOM haven't tested a copy!?!

People are talking about MGS2 and how amazing it is going to be? What are they going on? Screenshots and a little promo movie.

People should need to play the game to be excited.

Im not going to stop looking at screenshots but next time you look at the photos in a magazine just think about where they have come from.

Thanks
er-no
Tue 13/02/01 at 18:54
Regular
"everyone says it"
If anyone looked closely at the Nintendo news this week you may have noticed that Robocop has been confirmed for the GC, I was intrigued and clicked on the link and saw the first screen shoots of a game that has been in development since 1998, these screenshots were amazing..they were simply the best I have ever seen of an in game shoot.

Many of the pictures you see nowadays in magazines are of the video kind are part of the promo and not within the actual game. These Robocop pictures were stunning pictures of ingame action...

...but as graphics get better and better, as resolution gets better and better, as vector based pixels get smaller and smaller what is the outcome for the rest of the game??

I dont want to have a game with just '''the best graphics'''

I want a game with the best gameplay, the best ideas and the most original format, but then nearly all formats have been tested in games, I suppose what hasn't been done is RPG/First Person/Shooter??
(But then again what kind of a game would that be?)

I dont like the screenshots in magazines, they give you something to look at, they give you something to talk about but they dont give the reader the right information!

Take Nintendo Official Magazine for instance:

'The images show that Conkers Bad Fur Day looks set to be one of the biggest games of the year'

How the hell can this be told from screenshots when I know for definate that NOM haven't tested a copy!?!

People are talking about MGS2 and how amazing it is going to be? What are they going on? Screenshots and a little promo movie.

People should need to play the game to be excited.

Im not going to stop looking at screenshots but next time you look at the photos in a magazine just think about where they have come from.

Thanks
er-no
Tue 13/02/01 at 18:59
Regular
Nice post er-no.

...But where did you see the Robocop pics? I need to see them! :D
Tue 13/02/01 at 19:05
Regular
"everyone says it"
thanks! There were in the latest NOM, near the back pages in small then I found some site! even though I am against screenshots, oh my g*d! wow.

'nice gun murphy' I say
Tue 13/02/01 at 21:12
Regular
"everyone says it"
pop for fun!
Tue 13/02/01 at 21:20
Regular
I can't find them er-no!!!

Please can I have a link... :D
Tue 13/02/01 at 21:20
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Just imagine, in two years time, when everyone has massive pipes delivering ADSL and SDSL broadband connections to their homes....

Sony want to release a playable demo of a game in production for the PS3, so they don't put it on a disc or issue selective screenshots to Future Publishing et al.

Instead, they'll put it on the web, for us to try out when we want, for free. Moving images to download and store, they can alert you by WAP with the latest moving screenshots, they can send you whole levels in your email (assuming MSN increase their miserly 2mb limit that is).

We are increasingly getting to the stage where if you think you'll like a game, you can try before you buy on the web.

Pop this in 2 years time to see if my prediction is right.
Tue 13/02/01 at 21:52
Regular
"everyone says it"
ASDL is rubbish at the moment!!
heres the scenario all the power of ASDL in one area is 1000 and when one person enters the area to use ASDL he uses the 1000 to himself, when 2 enter it goes to 500 of the power, half the power it was before.

The more people use the system the weaker the connection! Seriously bad at the moment, WHY? because BT are in charge of ASDL and they will only allocate a certain amount to each area.

At the moment ASDL is not worth getting!
Tue 13/02/01 at 21:52
Regular
"everyone says it"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I can't find them er-no!!!

Please can I have a link... :D

I will look again, hang on!
Thu 15/02/01 at 16:47
Regular
"everyone says it"
this written topic should probably have won the gameaday for the 13th, but instead a weird small topic won! WTF. huh.
Thu 15/02/01 at 16:51
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
"The judges decision is final"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.