GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Body Image"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/07/03 at 12:41
Regular
In a couple of month’s time, I will be in a play that will find me onstage and as naked as the day I was born. Naturally, were it not for the fact that I'm so damned sexy, I'd be sh!tting my pants to the point of overflowing. And predictably enough, everyone whom I've told has asked "Aren't you embarrassed?". To which the answer is "No; should I be? Do I have anything to be embarrassed about? It's my body, I'm rather fond of it, and if other people want to come along and have a look at it...well, more power to 'em!"

But, me being me, all those blushing and giggling questioners did set me off thinking; why do we seem to have such a huge hang up on body image in our society? Especially where women are concerned, but increasingly with men as well. I mean, we live in a time when the NHS farts and collapses every time there is a flu epidemic, but where men can also have operations to implant fake muscles into their chests. I'm a first class pervert, and am the first to admit that I have no problem with silicon breasts. But silicone pecs...is it just me, or does that seem like vanity taken to the point of parody?

Everyone, men and women, seems to feel that they are under increasing pressure to have a certain shaped body, a particular size waist, a specific weight range. Why is this? As far as I can see, it seems to be down to insecurity about ourselves and the way we look. But when did self-centred vanity become the accepted way to express this insecurity? Did we, as a society, inch slowly towards that all by ourselves? Or did we receive a helping hand along the way?

Naturally, when looking for something to blame for a fault in society, we will turn our attention to the media. The media gets a lot of bad press (if you'll pardon the pun) in this regard; I'm sure everyone is familiar with the somewhat schizophrenic approach taken by the print media towards body image. On page 4 we will be told of the anguish caused by the increase in anorexia and bulimia among young women, and what could perhaps be done to stop it. Then page 5 will, in scandalised tones, launch an epic flurry of claws and handbags at whichever celebrity happens to have been snapped with his/her stomach being anything less than washboard flat.

In the past, I've always had the same opinion when it comes to criticising any media for what they do; if you don't like it, don't read or watch it. There's not exactly a dearth of newspapers, lifestyle magazines, TV, or radio programs to choose from, so choose one more to your liking. After all, we're adults and are capable of making our own choices. That is still my opinion, but I have had cause to add a caveat to it; sometimes we have no choice in the matter. Sometimes something permeates so many different parts of the media on so many levels that we're left with little option but to be aware of it. There can't be many people in the UK who remain blissfully unaware of the continuing saga of Victoria Beckham, her appearance, her weight, and her husband (and anyone who has stayed unaware is a lucky, lucky person...). However, just because we are all aware of something, doesn't mean we have to actually pay any attention to it, or give it any credence.

(As a side note, I should really confess that I've found myself modifying my opinions of films or albums based on favourable write-ups in magazines. Curiously, I'm not really ashamed to admit that...maybe that's just because I've never read a magazine that's told me I should be)

The thing is though, if it is the media, then why do we go out and buy or watch the image-obsessed dross that is cluttering up newsagents and TV stations? I mean, they wouldn't be successful if we had no interest in them, yet we weekly spend a sum equivalent to the third world national debt on ladmags/'lifestyle' mags (as women insist on calling the froth that fills the pages of Cosmo et al)/scandal rags. It seems odd that the media gets so much of the blame for our growing obsession with body image, when one could build a convincing case that they are merely responding to what the public wants.

Which leads us to the obvious question; why is this what the public want? Why do we want the perfect body, even at the expense of having a remotely enjoyable life. I mean, I've known a few people with eating disorders, and the misery that they caused themselves trying to sculpt their body to someone else’s idea of perfection far outweighed any misery they had felt for being overweight/ugly. To me, it seems bizarre that no-one stops to think "Hang on; I only weigh as much as a packet of crisps now, I have hunger pains all the time, and my body chemistry is completely screwed due to malnutrition. Hmm...yeah, I must be happy with my weight!".

I'm taking the proverbial to an extent there; eating disorders are a mental illness, and expecting someone to think logically about anything when in the throes of mental illness is unreasonable of me. Couldn't we therefore say that society's body image hang up is a widespread form of mental illness? Well...perhaps, but not everyone with an obsession over body image ends up with an eating disorder. So perhaps it is a mistake for me to think of this hang up of society as something to be diagnosed and then treated.

I'm starting to ramble more than usual, so I shall draw things to a close now. And as per usual, I find that I've raised more questions in my own head than have been answered. The one thing I remain sure of, and hope I've gone some way to impressing on you, is that society is spending a disproportionate amount of its time being concerned with what is not much more than petty vanity. Surely we're all better than that.

Aren't we?
Thu 10/07/03 at 11:40
Y'know, I think if Gameaday 1 was still around Light's first post would have won it.
Thu 10/07/03 at 11:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Practical Magic wrote:
> To reinforce the idea that the alien is literally 'alien' ie different
> from us, the considered normal.
---

Perhaps because they are meant to be space creatures? Why would something from another planet look like us/speak English.
Just because I dont find Greedo attractive, doesn't mean on his planet he's not Brad Pitteedo.
It's creating fantastical creatures to suggest other worlds and not limiting yourself to cliche 50s B-movie ideas of humanoid aliens?

Besides, as the new trilogy proves - Lucas can't write for ass, so I dont think he's capable of portraying deep socialogical issues. He can't even write a romance between two teens for chrissakes.
Thu 10/07/03 at 09:01
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Mantis wrote:
> Just thought i'd mention this one programme I really hated but watched
> every week for some reason. It was called Without Prejudice. Anyone
> see it?
>
> Basically, a group of people judged people on
> looks/attitude/behavior/morals etc and gave the person they percieved
> to be more worthy of it, some money for being themselves.
>
> But how can we say who is rated a better person? It was a terrible
> programme because of what it did by saying its ok to judge people.
> The first round had someone voted off soely because of their looks- I
> felt realy bad for the people who were on the show who had their
> looks, personality and everything about them scrutinised.

I saw that program once or twice. I had to turn to another channel as I would have Elvised the TV had I continued watching it...
Wed 09/07/03 at 22:47
Regular
public nudity?

I tried that, but some guys in blue uniforms took me away and told me I couldn't do it anymore. Then I had to speak to a woman in a white coat, she was very nice.

She explained that I was a bad man and that I musn't do it again

meh
Wed 09/07/03 at 21:56
Regular
"~a Libertine~"
Seriously thoughh, any males here that are sick of having to remind their female friends/sisters/wife etc. that they are indeed not fat, they are slim, couldnt possibly survive on much less food and could do infact to gain a few pounds here or there? It seems to be the number one 'overheard' conversation between women for me:
Female #1: You're not fat! You're so slim... Im the one that's fat!
Female #2: As if... I would love to be a nice as you!!
Female #3: So long fatties!!

Well maybe not that last bit. And I doubt it was as clerical as that, but you get the picture.
Seriously though every male too talking about going to the gym while eating a bag of greasy chips...What a misdirected society we live in. It really is getting out of control this obsession with being permanently slim. A few weeks ago two of my best girly friends asked me to settle an argument on which one was in better shape(!!!). In the end up I had to swallow my hate of the 'semi valid arguments' and give them some Dawsons creek style bull about how they were both as thin as eachother etc. In actuality I found that the slightly less slim one was much more attractive not to mention more feminine as the other.
Anyway that's enough catharsis for now. Forgive the jumbliness of the text im choking on some old rage here. So anyone else feel like that?!
Wed 09/07/03 at 21:55
Regular
Is it still running? It'd be quite interesting to see how people chose to judge them...
Wed 09/07/03 at 21:47
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Just thought i'd mention this one programme I really hated but watched every week for some reason. It was called Without Prejudice. Anyone see it?

Basically, a group of people judged people on looks/attitude/behavior/morals etc and gave the person they percieved to be more worthy of it, some money for being themselves.

But how can we say who is rated a better person? It was a terrible programme because of what it did by saying its ok to judge people. The first round had someone voted off soely because of their looks- I felt realy bad for the people who were on the show who had their looks, personality and everything about them scrutinised.
Wed 09/07/03 at 21:46
Regular
Well done getting the part, Light.

Hmm. I work out. I started because of basketball, but through being fairly averagely talented and repeatedly injuring myself I no longer take it that seriously.

Do I work out for vanity? Maybe partly. I think other reasons make denial easier, so I'm not convinced when I tell myself I don't.

But I do wish to god my skin would sort itself out. It's not that bad any more, but I'm 21, it should be clear now. Runs in the family, and the training makes it worse.
Do I want rid of it for vanity, or because I know people (women, job interviewers) judge me negatively on it?

I figure the last question is the most non-lame-whinging:
If peoples' fixation with their own looks is objective, because looking better makes life easier, I can't really fault that.

But then we turn to the people who judge others on their looks (everybody).
I guess it's natural, to some extent. So can we fault people who simply take it to a greater extent than we do?
Wed 09/07/03 at 21:29
Regular
So light's gonna be nekkid in this play eh?
Ros, fancy goin do...ok I won't finsh that sentance
0:)
Wed 09/07/03 at 20:16
Regular
"Light of the world"
Asher D wrote:
> They should have like 5 naked blonde women onstage at the same time.
>
> Think of the embarassment.
>
> Standing in fron of loads of people.
>
> With a boner.

I would look SO out of place...

I would just laugh at Lights boner

heh heh heh!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.