GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you want children?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/04/09 at 20:42
Regular
If yes,
Why?
How many?
Names?

If no,
Why not?
Do you not want to get married either?
What do you want for your future?

Just thought it would be interesting =]
Thu 07/05/09 at 13:17
"possibly impossible"
Marriage and church are two seperate things though, Grix. Marriage was around long before the Church as we know it existed. You're right in saying that the Church wasn't around during the time of the Bible, according to the New Testament it was an instruction that Jesus gave to Peter (sometimes considered the first 'pope') and grew from there.

Marriage due to sex in the bible is one translation I've heard of before, but there are others. Certainly they are linked. Marriage and the Church is more to do with being 'Married in the sight of God' than anything else. So not only a promise to each other that you would look after each other but also to God as well.

Marriage outside of the Church and not for religious reasons, as I've said, I consider a promise to each other.
Thu 07/05/09 at 13:07
Regular
Aasssss for marriage

I have my own odd belief which drives me a little, which pretty much revolves around keeping an open mind. I'll happily make no belief on as much as I can, and as for God existing, the only way I can think of it, as in which I do to as much as I can, is in terms of likelihood - and I sadly find it unlikely to be true.

This affects my thoughts on marriage naturally, but there's something else. If I remember correctly the Bible states of marriage that, in terms of analysing the language, marriage occurs when two people have sex.

As far as I'm concerned, I would call myself married to a person, and a church, which again if I remember correctly so forgive me, isn't mentioned in the Bible whatsoever, more of an evolution (har) of the religion in order to make things more formal and representitive. In other words, more of a creation of man.

I'm not opposed to it and I'm not in love with the idea, I just wonder of the actual point of using a church, or any other formal means, to declare yourself married to someone, when it quite possibly states that sexual intercourse is all that's needed.

If you're married in the heart, and church really is entirely unnecessary, what would be the point in a service? It seems almost that church services work backwards.. saying that "as of this point, you're married!".. when perhaps really, you've just been married a long time anyway.

I'd prefer to feel that way.
Thu 07/05/09 at 12:54
Regular
I think parenting is more about helping a child develop into the person he/she wants to be, rather than moulding them into who you want them to.

If they wanna be loud and noisy, hell, there we go. I'm not gonna stop a kid from developing a career based on being loud and noisy.

Personally the only responsibility I think is their safety, not their creation. Their creation already happened, they were born. What you do from then on is help them learn how to live and look after themselves, teach them skills pretty much necessary for life, and let them go explore and discover everything they're interested in. There's no control, just love and care, and explanations. I imagine perhaps it's the stress of the parents desperately trying to control children that results in such a rift and problems between them anyway. I'd much rather a child came to me to ask for help, than for me to tell he or she what to do.

School's great because it inspires the kids to think about new things, think of new questions and things to understand and work out. Puts them out in society and they get all sorts of shared knowledge they come to you and ask you about. There's no possible way I wouldn't be moulding in them in some way or another, so personally I'd rather try to help them keep an open mind as possible in answering questions, rather than teach them 'right and wrong' and enforce beliefs on them. I'd rather they developed empathy and understanding, than a knowledge of rules and regulations.

But, for the time being, no children. I have four nephews, which I babysit at least one day a week. Maybe one day, but money is a major problem, studies, and at the moment, proximity of female.
Thu 07/05/09 at 10:43
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'm amused by these people who say "I hate kids, they're loud and horrible" as if that's just how they are and parents have absolutely no say in the matter. Anyone who is that naive really shouldn't be having kids anyway.
Thu 07/05/09 at 08:42
"possibly impossible"
That's some strong opinions there, mrzoot. You've obviously had some troubled childhood yourself or have bad experiences with children to put you off.

Being a parent (well, a responsible parent) is a joy. If people didn't have kids then you could kiss your pension goodbye and who would look after you when you got older (not just personally, but with finding workers for buses, offices, services etc)? The economy would also be in turmoil.

As for marriage, it's not just religious (and you misunderstand religion greatly it seems, anyway) but is a promise to look after each other. If marriage doesn't work for some people it's not a result of the institution, more that those people can't hold on to their promise for whatever reason. Blaming marriage is like blaming religion for wars, which is an opinion which is uninformed and dumb.
Wed 06/05/09 at 23:52
Regular
having kids - absolutley no way

1. cannot stand kids - they are loud, self opinionated idiots, if an adult acted like them you would throw them out of your house,

2. Money/lifestyle - the only ones of my friends with kids who seem happy with their lives are the well off ones who can still afford to go away during the summer holidays when the prices are jacked up or pay for 2 or 3 times the amount to go somewhere as it includes paying for the whole family

3. population - there is enough people on this planet already sucking out all the resources, do we need any more. No

this is just 3 quick resons not to have kids, i have plenty more if needed, i think people have them as a way to immortality, to create their own mini-me or try to get their child to do better then them as they have made a mess or wasted their own life.

As for marriage, complete and utter waste of time and money, it means nothing, proves nothing and you dont even need it for legal purposes.
best to leave it to the religious fanatics who need approval from their imaginary friend (or god as he is sometimes called)
Sun 26/04/09 at 08:28
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
its very strange. I still refer to her as a boy a majority of the time. Just one of them things that will take some getting use too. However she sleeps through the night so nothing much i could really ask for. she doesn't cry too much and sleeps a majority of the time. She is only 11 week old though. Give it time though. She has three older brother which i think is great for her. ... they are so protective over her already.
Sat 25/04/09 at 21:27
Regular
Wow, congratulations on having your baby girl Vee!
I never knew.
I bet your psyched about having a little female in the house after three boys right? =D
Fri 24/04/09 at 20:11
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sorry to you all - boys and girls - but at one time all of you were as you are now describing - crying, smelly, demanding, rude, loving, obnoxious, loud, money grabbing, self-centred etc etc etc

Your parents had the same choices,as did their parents, they made them and ok you are now stuck with them...but at one time you were all 'the apple of someone's eye' and someday you will all have the same 'loving' relationship' that you have now with your parents, because some of you will 'have children'

Sleep tight:-)
Fri 24/04/09 at 18:12
Regular
Kids ...

There's one view that it's the only reason we're here - to procreate, propagate, multiply. Great, from a biological point of view, it ensures the continuation of the species, but we're way past the point now where procreation from this point of view became superfluous.

I really believe a lot of people brainwash themselves and their partner, friends, anyone that'll listen - that having kids is the thing you MUST do in your life. My friends list on facebook is chock full of pictures, status updates, videos etc of their new borns, their friends children, their relatives children, or just children in general. In many ways it feels like a one-upmanship contest. My kid is cuter than yours, my kid started speaking before yours, my kid will be a genius etc etc. It's pretty sad - and by far the majority of the people bragging in this way, are women. For those having kids to keep up with the Jones', I feel sorry for the child.

Some people I know I'm convinced truly believed that when they had a child, their life would suddenly be complete - like it would suddenly all fall into place, all the problems in their life would suddenly go away, and they'd live in perpetual bliss. If that's what they found then I suppose I should be happy for them, but then, from what I've seen, they didn't get what they expected.

I'm 30 and I still don't know if I want a child - I have to ask why I would be doing it - for my benefit or for the benefit of the child? Do I believe a child would be happy in the home I provided, in the country I reside in, in the world? Is it socially more responsible, and less selfish, to abstain from children altogether? The world is overpopulated, the economy is in decline - one more mouth to feed is not going to help. Should I be concerned about passing on my genes, my name or my 'legacy'? At the moment my answer would be no. It simply isn't important.

Marriage ...

I think finding someone you can live with for many years as a partnership, as pb said, get through the many scrapes and hardships, break ups and make ups, someone you feel you are suited to. If you believe you've found that someone who'll stick by you and who you want to stick by, well after the lust and early sickly love phase has gone, then yes it probably makes sense. But I'd want to know for sure, I'll be with my girlfriend for a long time before I'd want to commit - I only see a point in marriage if you're both sure, when you're not biased by early infatuation and can see your partners faults.

The religious side is irrelevant to me as I don't follow any faith.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.