GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NAPSTER IS NO MORE :("

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/02/01 at 16:31
Regular
It happened you guys and Napster is dead :(
Tue 27/02/01 at 21:44
Why Music Industry should take the initiaive and make a deal with Napster!

Many of the big players within the Music industry are still unwilling to settle their dispute with Napster, however if they had any foresight they would see that Napster is the Future of Music. Napster has a large userbase, and so potentially a lot of money can be made for the music industry if they cut a deal with Napster now.
I’ve used Napster and I like it, would I pay a fee if it stayed open - most definitely! But more importantly I have confidence in the Napster system and I like being part of the Napster community, this is something the music industry would find hard to recreate. The music industry may think that it can create its own alternative to Napster and make more money, but they wont be able to make it work without an agreement between all the major music publishers, and ofcourse they’ll need decent software.
The alternative to not cutting a deal with Napster is to allow file sharing alternatives to pop up, these will be a lot harder to stop. You can easily see why, if somebody sets up a network on which users can share files of any type it would be hard to legally stop the network! Because this type of Network is so close to what the internet essentially is, a file sharing network. Nobody controls the content of the internet and likewise a file sharing network would claim that they don’t control the content of the files shared on its network (unlike Napster which limits its content to MP3 files). It would be very hard to stop such a network without bringing in laws that would destroy the internet!

So its easy to see that Napster is really the only choice!
Wed 14/02/01 at 16:44
Mauro Picotto Iguana
It's great - see if you can make out what the words are : Cactus Rice or Dont diss christ?

Dan
Wed 14/02/01 at 14:20
Whats Iguana???
Wed 14/02/01 at 00:28
Regular
yeah man i just downloaded it......but cant listen to it until the morning....everyone is asleep!
Tue 13/02/01 at 16:22
Oh, it has been told to cease...

Ortega - get Iguana it's superb...
Tue 13/02/01 at 11:09
"Darkness, always"
Napster makes no secret of the fact it considers itself a 'Music community' and users are encouraged to go online solely to download music files.

Having never actually used the thing, can you even look for other types of files on Napster than sound files?

-IB
Tue 13/02/01 at 11:06
Yes there are alternatives

Gnutella
I mesh
AudioGalaxySatellite

But I havent used them yet!

I dont see how they can shut down Napster without doing the same to ISProviders, all Napster does is let people connect there computers to each other. If they share Illegal stuff thats the users bussiness, as with ISPs and the Net!
Tue 13/02/01 at 11:02
"Darkness, always"
meka_dragon wrote:
> Napster? Petty theft.

Technically not.

The terma and conditions of Napster dictate that you delete anything you download within threee days, and therefore you steal nothing, as it is all gone...

-IB
Tue 13/02/01 at 08:53
Regular
"not dead"
Napster? Petty theft.
Mon 12/02/01 at 23:34
Regular
theres somthing else called gnutella or something aint there? www.gnute.com?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.