GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Two's company..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/02/01 at 19:21
Regular
Let's forget all of this 'which console will be the best' for a minute and look at it from a different angle. The Dreamcast almost certainly won't be around as a format when the XBox and GameCube are up and running (safely assuming neither falls flat on it's face). This leaves three to choose from, but will the console market support three different formats?

Look back at the Saturn, PS and N64 (released in that order). The Saturn came and kicked out the Megadrive and the PS kicked out the SNES (alright I admit that's not strictly accurate but you get the idea).

Then along comes the N64 and effectively hammers one of, if not the, final nail into the Saturns coffin, accelerating it's downfall. To paraphrase a popular expression of today it was 'goodbye' to the weakest link.

Next up is the Dreamcast. Goodbye N64. Although it seems to be having one of the longest swan song periods of them all.

The PlayStation 2 comes along and, in succeeding the PS1 (not killing it though, thanks to backwards compatibility) and defeating the Dreamcast, leaves us with only one healthy system.

The XBox (assuming this is actually released first and, knowing Nintendo, it will be) will come along and clear up the leftovers, leaving out two system market again. When it comes to the GameCube it may not be so clear as to which two will survive. In its history, the games market has never allowed more than two systems to dominate at any one time. Why should this change now. Of 'The Big Three' there is only room for two.

To finish the post title, two's company, three's a crowd - who's likely to be the weakest link? Remember, it's votes that count, not how many answers they get right or wrong.

I know which one I'd like to be voted off.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:34
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
One thing which does stand in Sega's favour is the patents they own. They bought Atari some time ago (I think).

But they are a bit cricis prone.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:34
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
If we do lose Sega from the hardware market I am definately going to miss them, it would be like losing an old friend. It would be a shame to see them go, I just wish they'd had Sony's marketing department instead of the pub that they currently have.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:31
No what I am saying is that sega have made a stratigic move which is going to put them back in bussiness. Sega make games for there own. The only reason is that all these companies are using the same chip as sega. Called the powerVR chip. Honously it is true.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:22
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
golden rhino wrote:
> The weakest link will be either playstation 2 or Nintendo. This is because sega have signed a deal with pace set top box which will make them even popular. Also rumours that they have signed a deal with microsoft. Sega and micro are the winners. PS2 and gc are loosers

So we'll see all the games publishers rushing to write Dreamcast games? I don't think so.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:20
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
SNIPER wrote:
> So you think the new amount of posts weren't worth it?

No that's not what I said.

SNIPER - what you need is attitude. That's what makes people winners. Attitude is all about making things happen instead of waiting for them to come to you. It's about not assuming that everybody else has things better than you, that the grass is greener somewhere else.

It's about making the best of what you have.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:16
The weakest link will be either playstation 2 or Nintendo. This is because sega have signed a deal with pace set top box which will make them even popular. Also rumours that they have signed a deal with microsoft. Sega and micro are the winners. PS2 and gc are loosers
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:14
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Sega are not really in the same league as Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

Regardless of what they say, they cannot muster another console and Dreamcast can't survive on low volumes.

The other games-makers won't make games for it.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:11
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
SmokedKipper wrote:

> It will never have the 'play anywhere' aspect of a handheld while you still need an external controller and power supply.

We have no way of knowing whether Sony will remedy this. If I were them I would be edgy about the GBA and if they have enough money to develop robot dogs then they can develop a hand-held PlayStation.

I think that's where we differ. But if you want a two horse race then I would bet on Nintendo against Microsoft by a short neck. Really it is too close to call and likely to end up with all three in the arena.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:10
Regular
So you think the new amount of posts weren't worth it?
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:09
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Last news I got in the Sega Newsletter stated that Sega denied that they were not going to play any further part in the hardware market.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.