GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A book that I'm enjoying"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/03 at 18:37
Regular
Just starting reading "Happiness" by Will Ferguson, and I have to say that so far it is excellent. I've laughed out loud on a number of times, and even kept reading it whilst on the bus, even though reading on the bus makes me want to vomit.

It took a couple of pages to get into the characters voice, but once I got there, it was great. It's odd though there are almost 'asides' to the reader though, as the character works as a copy editor at a publishers, things like:

May's door, as always, was not entirely open, but not entirely shut either. ("Ajar" his editor's parsimonious mind immediately chimed in, wanting to pare down that previous sentence to the starkest elements possible, editors being notoriously unsympatheticto rambling author asides)

Other top quotes:

Edwin de Valu had come face-to-face with the disturbing truth: Conan the Barbarian movies may not entirely reflect reality.

Whilst in a meeting his mind wanders:

"we'll have to roll up our sleeves and pull up our bootstraps and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah chihuahua's pen!s."

The basic story of the novel is based upon the self-help book, and what would happen if there was one that really worked?

I'm going to fly through this, because so far, it's great.
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:12
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Ok, cheers, I'll probably read that after The Stand then.

*Looks over shoulder at bookcase*

It'll take ages to read every Stephen King book me mother 'as.

I asked her a minute ago whether she knew how many she had, and apparantly she has indeed got every book apart from the newest one, whatever that is.
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:06
Regular
Shocktrooper wrote:
> Any advice, Borat?

I would have suggested IT, as its my second fave, but you've read it.

The shining is a great one to read, I heartily recommend it.
Other than that I can't recommend any, although I am thinking of purchasing 'the long walk' which is supposed to be v.good.
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:01
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Borat Sagdiyev wrote:
> Shocktrooper wrote:
> I'm just over halfway through The Stand, by Stephen King.
>
> my favourite book so far. took me ages to read but I enjoyed pretty
> much all of it.

I've come to the conclusion that Stephen King books rule.

However, I've only read Salems' Lot and IT.

Once I finish The Stand I think it likely I'll read another King book. The only problem being the choice. They're my mum's books, and I think she has nearly every book he's ever written.

Any advice, Borat?
Tue 24/06/03 at 20:38
"period drama"
I've got 1 more book to go form Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (7 quite chunky books) which I have enjoyed reading very much so. Never read a book so quick.
I recomend it to anyone just because it rules.
Tue 24/06/03 at 18:47
Regular
Shocktrooper wrote:
> I'm just over halfway through The Stand, by Stephen King.

my favourite book so far. took me ages to read but I enjoyed pretty much all of it.

currently I am reading 'Land of Fire' by chris ryan. a great SAS novel set in the falklands war. so far its v.good
Tue 24/06/03 at 18:05
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Next on my list is Thomas Hardy's "The Mayor of
> Casterbridge"
>

Ooh, I read that at school. And against all odds, I think I quite enjoyed it. Better than ******* Chaucer at any rate, because I'm really good to put something like that to good use once I've finished school.
Tue 24/06/03 at 11:02
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Rereading Great Expectation by our friend Dickens. After coming back to it (being forced to read it in school) I now know how alluring the prose and diction in this magnificent story is.

Next on my list is Thomas Hardy's "The Mayor of Casterbridge"

Yep, I'm turning my back on contempary books and going for the old classics. Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through?
Tue 24/06/03 at 10:27
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I'm just over halfway through The Stand, by Stephen King.

The reading was put on hold when tOotP was released.

Stephen King books may be more adult, using a greater range of descriptive literacy, but Harry Potter is absorbing, entertaining stuff, even if it does seem somewhat pale in comparison to the literary standards of King.

The more enjoyable the book, the better. No point denying it.
Tue 24/06/03 at 10:00
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I've just finished Altered Carbon, which is a detective novel set in the future, where everyone's personality is digitized and thus people can be downloaded into different sleeves (bodies). Rich people can afford to keep multiple clones of themselves on stack and so on. By Richard Morgan (his first novel),

The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton is also recommended and I am about to embark on the third in the triumvirate.
Tue 24/06/03 at 09:11
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I read Phillip Pullman "Northern Lights" and it was excellent.
Chickenhawk by Robert Mason is also cool, a helicopter pilot's experiences of Vietnam.
Blood Crazy by Simon Clark (everyone over 21 goes murderously insane)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.