GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A book that I'm enjoying"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/03 at 18:37
Regular
Just starting reading "Happiness" by Will Ferguson, and I have to say that so far it is excellent. I've laughed out loud on a number of times, and even kept reading it whilst on the bus, even though reading on the bus makes me want to vomit.

It took a couple of pages to get into the characters voice, but once I got there, it was great. It's odd though there are almost 'asides' to the reader though, as the character works as a copy editor at a publishers, things like:

May's door, as always, was not entirely open, but not entirely shut either. ("Ajar" his editor's parsimonious mind immediately chimed in, wanting to pare down that previous sentence to the starkest elements possible, editors being notoriously unsympatheticto rambling author asides)

Other top quotes:

Edwin de Valu had come face-to-face with the disturbing truth: Conan the Barbarian movies may not entirely reflect reality.

Whilst in a meeting his mind wanders:

"we'll have to roll up our sleeves and pull up our bootstraps and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah chihuahua's pen!s."

The basic story of the novel is based upon the self-help book, and what would happen if there was one that really worked?

I'm going to fly through this, because so far, it's great.
Sat 28/06/03 at 13:40
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
I don't read many books but this one book I did read was actually really good. I think it was called Jet Smoke and Dragon Fire. I find TV or sport takes up the spare time I do have.
Sat 28/06/03 at 13:36
Regular
After reading great expectations and to kill a mockingbird in year 11 english 2 years ago i feel that the older books are too slow moving.

I am reading Dead Famous by Ben Elton at the moment. Its based around big brother.

Quality read so far

I recommend it
Sat 28/06/03 at 12:53
Regular
DébUK wrote:
> I'm reading Oliver Twist and Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History
> of Time" at the moment.

I've read a brief history of time, quite good, if a little baffling in places. I think his second book, the universe in a nutshell is better though
Sat 28/06/03 at 12:52
Regular
"Hmmm....."
I'm reading Oliver Twist and Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" at the moment.

I've never read any of Steven King's books, but the films I have seen ('Green Mile', 'Shawshank' and 'Apt Pupil') were good.
Sat 28/06/03 at 11:22
Regular
"oaps.org"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Desperation is one of my favourite King books.
>
> Next one of his I'm going to read is 'Rose Madder'

good choice, beware of a woman with an attitude
Sat 28/06/03 at 09:57
Regular
"not dead"
Desperation is one of my favourite King books.

I also enjoyed Bag of Bones.

Some of his short stories collections are worth looking at too, especially if you're not in the mood to get into another novel, but want to read something.

I thought Cujo was also fantastic, though critics don't tend to like that one so much.

Needful Things was okay, but had way too many characters.

Insomnia was also pretty good, but rather odd. The man character was an old man, who started to see things.

Gerald's Game is very slow moving, and only gets interesting towards the end, and then doesn't explore it enough, which is a shame.

Next one of his I'm going to read is 'Rose Madder', though I've got my 'Scribble' collections to read through first.
Thu 26/06/03 at 09:16
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Films never do, I'm afraid.

If you've ever read Harry Potter then you'd realise how pants the films really are.

That doesn't mean I'm not interested in the film versions, because it's always interesting to experience someone else's imagination.

However, I heard The Stand was made into a 6-hour long film.

Blimey.
Wed 25/06/03 at 23:16
Regular
Shocktrooper wrote:
> The disappointing thing about IT was the confusing ending about that
> turtle and speeding towards the edge of the universe. I didn't really
> understand that at all.

yeah you're right there ST, it was a little confusing. I guess its trying to be religious or something, suggesting that the spider was the devil perhaps?

I did love that book though, I think the story of the group of friends when they were younger was very well done. I'm going to have to read it again soon. Some of the scenes scared the hell out of me.

The film doesn't measure up really.
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:43
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
*Chucks 'The Girl who loved Tom Gordon' down into sewers where it's promptly gathered up by Pennywise and taken to the giant spider. The giant spider doesn't hesitate to swallow the book, which then travels through the universe and past the good ol' turtle. Who sneezes and blows the book off course.*

*Cough*

The disappointing thing about IT was the confusing ending about that turtle and speeding towards the edge of the universe. I didn't really understand that at all.
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:17
Regular
Shocktrooper wrote:
> It'll take ages to read every Stephen King book me mother 'as.
>

Just to save you some time, I read 'the girl who loved tom gordon' and it was pants

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.