GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"tangent from 9/11 thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/03 at 13:45
Regular
while i was reading the 9/11 (or 11/9 if you prefer :) ) thread i noticed that the event broke a trend that seemed to follow almost every other "dark day in our nations history"

Remember when that guy was arrested for killing 90-year old woman, removing her heart and drinking her blood?
no?
well it happened and the immediate media response was "Blame music, blame movies, blame video games!!, he listened to marilyn manson and played Shooting games!! ban them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (to semi quote the Daily Mail)

ok then, slightly more media coverage; remember when those 2 teenagers shot Columbine school up Littleton, Colarado?
SURE ya do!!
i'm sure you remember the same immediate media response as well: "Blame music, blame movies, blame video games!!, he listened to marilyn manson and played Shooting games!! ban them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (to semi quote the Daily Mail)
** (actually, spooky as it seems, one of the kids from the columbine shootings had a note in his diary about stealing a plane and crashing it into new york. impossible for HIM to do, but quite chilling i thought...)

which brings us to the World Trade Centre. horrifying event, as were the other 2 examples but remember what happened afterwards?? "Bomb everyone!! we don't have to take this!!! wave your flags, close your fists, U.S.A.. U.S.A", etc. not once did they make mention of the usual media target of games, music, etc. not once did anyone ask "why?", they simply asked "who?"

so playing Doom, in which you shoot fictional monsters will lead you to shoot up your school huh? better try and ban Doom then, Marilyn Manson wears makeup and black, CLEARLY insighting people to kill... best ban him too then.
so, fictional monsters and an image based in almost cartoon-like imagery then huh? not exactly grounded in reality is it?
now on the other hand, Microsoft Flight Simulator, as realistic as it can possibly be. so much so that you can log hours on the game to count towards a professional pilots liscence. made by an american company and used by flight schools the world over. The Al-Queda itself, trained and funded by the US army, given the tools with which to commit those sad events. and yet not once did anyone in US authority say "ok, we admit it, maybe that wasn't the smartest thing to do" they glazed over that bit and went straight to the invading part.

don't get me wrong, i'm not anti-US and by no means did those people deserve it, but it just seems that an atrocity against one section of society such as Columbine can be blamed on entertainments using arguements that are, at best, flimsy. yet an atrocity intended as a message to people in higher power appears to warrant a little more of a reaction that simply "ban a few games and target a few bands"
to me it kind of trivialised the unfortunate people involved in the attacks and made it more about the symbolic building and the fact that the US discovered it wasn't as bulletproof as it liked to think.

any thoughts?
Wed 25/06/03 at 00:25
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Practical Magic wrote:
> Anyone who thinks that the problem can be solved by looking at any one
> country is sadly wrong.

similarly, anyone who thinks a country can be fixed by looking at any one problem is sadly wrong.

which is the point i was making about easy media targets.
that you missed ;)
Wed 25/06/03 at 00:23
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Practical Magic wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
> *watches as Practical Magic misses my point completely* :-\
>
> Maybe you should try and make the point more clear and actually based
> on evidence then eh ?

or maybe you should've looked at the big picture instead of focusing on one aspect of the post which you clearly have strong views on.

Kyz22 got the point and he doesn't spend his time picking posts apart in a pseudo-intellectual fashion, so before assuming that i'm in the wrong, take some time to consider all angles.

Your point about "finding a respectable source" is almost (ALMOST) highlighting my point, how does a source become respectable? were the reactions and views of the average american not as important as those in power?

here's something to consider though, Timothy McVeigh (and his mate, who's name escapes me) carried out the Oklahoma bombing and was sentenced to death. I'm inclined to believe that if the US had caught Bin Laden, he'd face much the same fate. However, no-one called for a revenge attack or military action against the city where McVeigh lived.... so perhaps a little, juuuuuust a little of the reaction towards the middle east was down to an over enthusistic brand of patriotism?
Tue 24/06/03 at 19:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So why come back and post again after saying you wont?
Why wonder why nobody takes you seriously after all your pretend exits and "I was only joking" and your "I'm changing my life" post of last week where you wondered about your fetish admiration of the Stars and Stripes?

Gone back on that one too eh?

*pats head*
Go on, get red faced and post a massive impersonal list of Bush-approved soundbites that lack any personal input or thought, merely rhetoric parrot-fashion like the good little automaton...whoops, almost started taking you seriously again
*slaps own wrist*
Bad Goatboy.

So, take a red-faced breath, formulate your oh-so-masterful retort and flame-away McWeeny, cos I'm off out to play with real people and talk about important stuff
Toodle-oo!
Tue 24/06/03 at 19:32
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
......and the Pentagon, and Flight 93, and over thirty cells arrested after 9/11 who planned attacks on just about every city in America as well as landmarks.

Same old, same old....not that I expected anything else.
Tue 24/06/03 at 19:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And I thought it was just a couple of buildings in New York.
Tue 24/06/03 at 18:35
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> No quotes needed really, they just sorta went ahead and did it
> anyways.

Really ? I could've sworn that it was just areas of Afghanistan and the taking down of numerous cells worldwide by law enforcement...
Tue 24/06/03 at 18:33
Regular
Very_Metal wrote:
>
> although you DO raise some interesting points of your own....

Maybe you should try and make the point more clear and actually based on evidence then eh ?

I might have raised some interesting points but, as expected, no one cares to comment on them.
Tue 24/06/03 at 15:26
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Practical Magic wrote:
> Yeah, great, find me one quote from any respectable source where the
> suggested response to 9/11 was "bomb everyone".

No quotes needed really, they just sorta went ahead and did it anyways.
Tue 24/06/03 at 13:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Very_Metal wrote:

Not like him...
Tue 24/06/03 at 13:49
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
*rocks*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.