GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Harry Potter & tOotP Spoiler Discussion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/06/03 at 16:26
Regular
As the other threads are more for discussing the book and not actually what's inside, I think starting one up where people who've finished the book can discuss it freely would be better. This way everyone's a winner, right?

So, first things first: it was good, but still not 'great'. I think the start was far too slow and plodding, it took almost a third of the book to get to Hogwarts and it was just pretty boring. I was left a little flat with this OotP 'revelation' and all that, but the end rocked. I was so convinced Hagrid was dead or about to die (hence Dumbledore was away helping him) and then all the other sort of red herrings like Hermione being knocked out.

I think the ending wrapped everything up very well though, I especially liked the pact with Aunt Petunia. I guess Sirius' death will be a letdown to lots of people as with the 'broke down crying' quote everyone thought it would be a core character but he's still regarded as a fringe player really. Still, can't wait for Gary Oldman in the films

And in the other thread someone brought up the point of Neville being the one to kill Voldemort, and why he wasn't chosen. I think that really it was just at random and it could have been either of them, but Voldemort's attacking them MADE them his equal; he CHOSE the child. However, I think Dumbeldore said there were two other boys and he only mentioned one. Malfoy for the other? And Luna was a very interesting character but I think she was undersold. She always seemed like she was above everything, she handled all the Death Eaters and stuff. Maybe we'll see more of her in the next book.

And no talking about Hermione meeting Krum in the holidays? BOOO! Anyway, I've waffled on. So what're your thoughts?
Sun 22/06/03 at 19:31
Regular
El Blokey wrote:

> AND she's ginger.

--

Yup, that settles it. She's being ginger at them all. Sure sign of being the castle bicycle, being ginger.

Anyway, I'm surprised Ron didn't make a play for Hermione, after his reaction to Krum. Or maybe, just MAYBE, they weren't just cleaning in Grimmauld Place? After all, Harry walked into a room with just the two of 'em when he first got there.

Sordid..
Sun 22/06/03 at 19:25
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Yeah, I realised that. Harry and Ron act all pent up and she's getting off with any and everyone.

AND she's ginger.
Sun 22/06/03 at 18:52
Regular
El Blokey wrote:
He should get together with Luna!

--

I didn't like her. Seemed kinda pointless character. Although she's definitely being set up as Harry's next girl.

--

> Although even more interesting would be him waking up after a
> Quidditch party with Ginny next to him in bed. Best friend's sister
> troubles!

--

Nah, Ginny's the new ho of Hogwarts, going with the older bloke in Dean Thomas. She'll sleep with the entire Gryffindor blokes population, heh.

Except Ron, of course. That'd be worrying.
Sun 22/06/03 at 18:30
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Wouldn't that make him the perfect person to act Sirius?
Sun 22/06/03 at 17:14
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
LOL! That's quite true. Never noticed that.
Sun 22/06/03 at 17:13
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Stryke wrote:
> What, Sirius is a fringe character? Maybe he used to be, but he's the
> biggest figure in Harry's life now. It was unbelievably harsh to take
> away the only 'parent' Harry had left. If he gets too attached to
> Lupin now, I'll be angry. Sirius was the best thing about the books.
> And it sucks that Oldman is him, Sean Bean has always seemed to me
> like the best to play him.

But Sean Bean dies in every film he's in :D
Sun 22/06/03 at 17:10
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
I quite like it. The only problem for me is that Harry and Ron keep saying she's crying all the time. It would be much better if it was just Harry being an a-ss about it, not being able to deal with the pressures of being 'the' Harry Potter. In the end she comes off as a pretty lame character when it could be much more, but the general idea is a good one. I think she should have one more try with Harry behind this new guy's back, he screws up and she stays with someone else. He should get together with Luna!

Although even more interesting would be him waking up after a Quidditch party with Ginny next to him in bed. Best friend's sister troubles!
Sun 22/06/03 at 16:56
Regular
Sean Bean would be awesome. I dunno, I just thought the ending of Prisoner of Azkaban was all about Sirius, and it was superb. And his role in Phoenix was brilliant. I was absolutely gutted when he was killed, because Sirius is played up to be a really powerful wizard, and he was killed by a Stunner that knocked into a portal-thing. By his cousin. Shame really,if he has to die I would have liked to see him jump in front of the Killing Curse for Harry or Dumbledore, sort of thing.

What do you think of the Harry/Cho angle? I thought JK had cracked her up to be "The One" for Harry, and he told her to sod off, basically.
Sun 22/06/03 at 16:50
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Come on, Oldman will rule as the loveable 'psycho'! Sean Bean should stick to wussy roles like Ronin.

I read the last two sort of back to back (meaning Goblet of Fire and Phoenix) and Sirius never really seemed that strong of a character. Maybe it's because it's been ages since I read PoA, but he still seems like a peripheral figure only called into action when Harry needs him, rather than a constant force. Still, by the end it was all good.
Sun 22/06/03 at 16:45
Regular
What, Sirius is a fringe character? Maybe he used to be, but he's the biggest figure in Harry's life now. It was unbelievably harsh to take away the only 'parent' Harry had left. If he gets too attached to Lupin now, I'll be angry. Sirius was the best thing about the books. And it sucks that Oldman is him, Sean Bean has always seemed to me like the best to play him. Or Guy Pearce :D

Harry Vs Bellatrix Lestrange duel in Book 6? Pretty short odds, methinks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.